• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bridgewater(2020) vs. Darnold(2021) through 6 games.

kungfoodude

I think an ideal scenario is that Sam is still starter in 2022. Spend every fuging pick on offensive line and give the guy a legit chance, and if that doesn't work out, draft a rookie the next year. Even if we did have Trevor Lawrence or whoever, he'd be getting killed too. That doesn't mean I'm 100% on the Darnold bandwagon still. He's regressed in to his old habits a bit. But I think he's shown enough flashes to give him another chance, and I think it might would be the best strategic move long-term. The teams that do well with rookie QBs are the ones who put them in the best chance to succeed. 

Can you imagine if we get a Kyler Murray/Josh Allen/Mayfield/Mahomes type on a rookie contract and are able to do what all of those teams have been able to do? We already have a ton of talent, and on top of that being able to fill out the team with high value free agents. Wew lad.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It’s pretty clear a lot of that is actually on Brady more so if you look at the schemes this year. 

Eh....I mean if you look at his stats through 6 games in Denver and his full season stats from 2020 they are almost carbon copies other than the TD:INT ratio and maybe the fact that he is getting sacked a LOT more in Denver. 

I think Teddy is just who he is, same way that Sam is. There aren't wild swings in statistical deviations just about Teddy's entire career.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh....I mean if you look at his stats through 6 games in Denver and his full season stats from 2020 they are almost carbon copies other than the TD:INT ratio and maybe the fact that he is getting sacked a LOT more in Denver. 

I think Teddy is just who he is, same way that Sam is. There aren't wild swings in statistical deviations just about Teddy's entire career.

It's actually pretty damning to Brady still since he was supposed to be a QB guru who created Joe Burrow.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

At this point, prove they can do better on the oline first. Even this far out, I'm not holding my breath that there will be a good enough option for us again this offseason and I sure as hell don't want to waste any capital on another 'not the answer' guy. Build the oline, aquire draft capital and wait to spend on someone special. Darnold can be the expensive placeholder for now. 

I'm getting closer to wanting a new OC that has an eye for QBs and Oline. Try and save this crew from their deficiencies. 

100% agree. It isn't likely we can build this OL in one offseason, it's going to take a while. I'd rather just let Sam get shelled back there if we don't have a better option in 2022. Especially if we don't have a cheaper option. 

It boggles my mind we didn't try and get Minshew. What a great option he would have been to battle with Darnold or at least improve from PJ.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I think an ideal scenario is that Sam is still starter in 2022. Spend every fuging pick on offensive line and give the guy a legit chance, and if that doesn't work out, draft a rookie the next year. Even if we did have Trevor Lawrence or whoever, he'd be getting killed too. That doesn't mean I'm 100% on the Darnold bandwagon still. He's regressed in to his old habits a bit. But I think he's shown enough flashes to give him another chance, and I think it might would be the best strategic move long-term. The teams that do well with rookie QBs are the ones who put them in the best chance to succeed. 

Can you imagine if we get a Kyler Murray/Josh Allen/Mayfield/Mahomes type on a rookie contract and are able to do what all of those teams have been able to do? We already have a ton of talent, and on top of that being able to fill out the team with high value free agents. Wew lad.

He has exhausted his chances and he is who he is. I am not against bringing him back during the OL rebuild if we can't find a better option at QB. This is a shitty QB draft and we have little to no draft picks. Go all in on the OL building for the next 2-3 offseasons and then try and identify a FA or draft QB to go snag. 

I have no issue with Darnold playing out his contract if there isn't something else available.

• Beer 1

It's actually pretty damning to Brady still since he was supposed to be a QB guru who created Joe Burrow.

I can't say that I would put all that on Brady. The playcalling however.......no bueno. 

If there is a staff sacrificial lamb this season, I'd put money on him being the one.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Plus, Teddy is pretty static in his performances game to game and Darnold is ALL over the map.

Yea he may be a good look at what people mean when they talk about floors and ceilings.

Sams is stock market crashed through the floor and then up to good quarter back...it's crazy.

Ceiling is higher and floor is lower than Teddys

Edited by Fox007

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

Yea he may be a good look at what people mean when they talk about floors and ceilings.

Sams is stock market crashed through the floor and then up to good quarter back...it's crazy.

Ceiling is higher and floor is lower than Teddys

I think Teddy is a better overall QB because you do know what you are getting out of him, as little as that is. I definitely see how Teddy can make it appear he is better than he actually is. Sam is just too frenetic to be successful. The gunslinger types need to have more highs than lows and Sam doesn't have that. It's why bad gunslingers appear to be so fuging bad. 

But, neither of them are what a successful NFL franchise would ever want. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I can't say that I would put all that on Brady. The playcalling however.......no bueno. 

If there is a staff sacrificial lamb this season, I'd put money on him being the one.

I've been left wondering what he actually does. I mean even for guys like Mike Shula and Ken Dorsey we heard stories about how Cam loved them for helping him grow as a passer. It seems like he doesn't know how to correctly utilize so many of our players. OL as an excuse only goes so far, because how many times has he bought time with his legs and no one been open? We have two speed guys and how many times has he tried to take the top off? His dink and dunk saints style poo allows teams to attack a lot more aggressively. 

I've been left wondering what he actually does. I mean even for guys like Mike Shula and Ken Dorsey we heard stories about how Cam loved them for helping him grow as a passer. It seems like he doesn't know how to correctly utilize so many of our players. OL as an excuse only goes so far, because how many times has he bought time with his legs and no one been open? We have two speed guys and how many times has he tried to take the top off? His dink and dunk saints style poo allows teams to attack a lot more aggressively. 

Agreed. Our struggles offensively have been equal parts terrible OL play, terrible QB play and terrible playcalling. I think if any two of the three were better, the remaining one would be so bad it caused an issue ultimately. 

I get that the cards Brady has been dealt have been poo but a real offensive genius would be able to get the maximum out of the turds they had, even if only so much shine could be put on them. Brady isn't able to do that.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but I don't think PJ has it either. He's in a similar mold of being an athletic gunslinger. Although we won, we saw the crippling INT's he threw versus Detroit. In all honesty, he's a lower ceiling version of Darnold and I don't think that is what we need. 

A lot of the fans said prior to the season that we were clearly all in on Darnold when we didn't sign or draft a new QB. Barring injury, it will be Darnold for 17 games.

I mean, they weren't crippling INTs.   We won 20-0.   PJ and the offense moved up and down the field with ease. 

The INTs were both redzone INTs.  Something the team apparently wasn't even practicing with their starters much.  Let alone their backup QB. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, they weren't crippling INTs.   We won 20-0.   PJ and the offense moved up and down the field with ease. 

The INTs were both redzone INTs.  Something they team apparently wasn't even practicing with their starters much.  Let alone their backup QB. 

Redzone INT's are always crippling. It just helps that you are playing the Lions. 

Listen, if they opt for PJ at some point this season, so be it. I just don't think any of us are going to head into 2022 saying, "Boy I really think we got something in this Walker kid!" More like the 2019 season when we ended it thinking, "Three QB's and not a one of them worth a fug."

Edited by kungfoodude

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Redzone INT's are always crippling. It just helps that you are playing the Lions. 

Listen, if the opt for PJ at some point this season, so be it. I just don't think any of us are going to head into 2022 saying, "Boy I really think we got something in this Walker kid!" More like the 2019 season when we ended it thinking, "Three QB's and not a one of them worth a fug."

PJ is a worse version of Darnold the put the backup QB poo is as embarrassing now as it was when the people were talking about put Dereck Anderson in. And DA was actually a real backup.

If the Texans keep that Stanford guy bring in Tyrod Taylor. Mobile and can throw. He gets hurt all the time but better than any QB we got. Look at his 3 years in Buffalo and this year before his injury and also before the lung poke, that man has the opposite luck of Russel Wilson.

• Beer 1