• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our Secondary

shaq

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

In the past we had a GM we only wanted. Unless you think Hurney was actually good at the draft? 

The GM doesn't have anything to do with it once they hit the field. All I'm saying is that some promising looking rookies will still end up flopping and some guys that disappoint as rookies will turn out to just need a little more time to transition to the NFL. Trying to judge a draft class after 6 games is just not smart.

6 hours ago, Fox007 said:

Looking into it a bit more this is actually a good draft for C's there are few that project to be plug and play for 10+ years.

Love the C's in this draft. Everyone is screaming tackle and I do agree to an extent but not in the draft....FA. Unless its Neal. 

What we have on the field are backups at best, minus Moton and maybe Brady (too early). That said, build from the inside out. 

Our draft is basically 1, 4, 5,5 6. If last year's draft was any indication than our first rounder will be flipped. Maybe we get two 2nds. Who know's at this point. I think we stay at the spot though if we have a chance at picking Neal or Linderbaum. Not really a fan of picking a center in the first but Linderbaum is different type of special imo. 

Besides that ....at guard, Kenyon Green and Ekwonu would be very good signings for us long term. 

3 is the magic number. LT should be our FA splurge (1). As long as it's a proven commodity we acquire. Trade down for 2 second rounders. Get the best Center first (2) and then attack the guard position (3). Use the rest of the draft for BPA and pickup the best K in college at some point. 

The secondary is beyond set (still a lil skeptical of our safety play but we can manage that). WR and RB are set. TE is set if Tremble keeps up his trajectory. QB may still be a problem, but I don't think you could thoroughly evaluate Darnold without proper protection. 

It's just literally the definition of insanity that we've been patch-working this line nearly a decade arguably. Especially when solidifying that line improves 5 other areas: 

1. The Oline itself (obviously)

2.The QB 

3.The RBs: (benefits CMC but Hubbard would SHINE)

4. The Receivers

5. The playcalling

You could also make an argument for 6 and 7.  It's just the same as a dominant Dline making a secondary more effective. 

We gotta get it right. My faith in Rhule is trending sideways just based on most of his comments as of late Fitterer is exactly what we needed. 

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The GM doesn't have anything to do with it once they hit the field. All I'm saying is that some promising looking rookies will still end up flopping and some guys that disappoint as rookies will turn out to just need a little more time to transition to the NFL. Trying to judge a draft class after 6 games is just not smart.

I can judge this draft against any hurney draft and tell you more will come out of it. I can also tell you that the WFT will get worse every year in the drafting department simply because Rivera and Hurney suck at it. It's not Fitters first time in the draft room and SEA has been very good at drafting pretty much the entire time he was there. While I might disagree with some of their moves you could tell him and Rhule had a plan and it executed well. 

9 hours ago, Snake said:

So you think we drafted bad this year? 

We definitely didn't accomplish getting any serviceable OL in the draft. I don't see any chance of getting serviceable OL if we squander draft capital on minor defensive needs or trading down repeatedly to gather late round picks. 

This past draft appears to be a pretty mixed bag(6 games in, which doesn't mean much), which shouldn't surprise anyone given that it was largely 2nd and 3rd day draft picks. If we don't go heavy OL in the 2022 draft, yeah, that will be a bad draft.

Edited by kungfoodude

Just now, kungfoodude said:

We definitely didn't accomplish getting any serviceable OL in the draft. I don't see any chance of getting serviceable OL if we squander draft capital on minor defensive needs or trading down repeatedly to gather late round picks. 

This past draft appears to be a pretty mixed bag, which shouldn't surprise anyone given that it was largely 2nd and 3rd day draft picks. If we don't go heavy OL in the 2022 draft, yeah, that will be a bad draft.

Mixed bag? 3 starting players out the gate? 6 if you consider how well Keith Taylor Jr and Nixon have been. We seriously have never had that much success in the draft at any point in Hurneys career. Yet that's a mixed bag... 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Mixed bag? 3 starting players out the gate? 6 if you consider how well Keith Taylor Jr and Nixon have been. We seriously have never had that much success in the draft at any point in Hurneys career. Yet that's a mixed bag... 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Calling a draft successful after six games is ridiculous. As ridiculous as you could possibly get.

Almost every player from the 2020 draft started games for us. And now how many see any time at all? Basically our first, second and third. That's how quickly that can change. 

I mean, through 6 games where are you seeing these surefire hits? 

Horn? The promising guy that has looked great against Zach Wilson, Jameis Winston and Davis Mills for 2.5 games?

Marshall? The 2nd round pick that has a total of 19.3 ypg of production?

Christensen? The tackle that has a total of 75 snaps on one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL?

Tremble? The talented TE averaging 14 ypg receiving and a max usage rate of 51% of snaps in a game so far?

Hubbard? He is probably the closest. Averaging 90 yds of total offense since CMC got injured. Only 1 TD but has been pretty steady, minus some issues with catching ball.

Nixon? The guy with a 16% usage rate(60 total snaps) and 6 tackles, 0.5 sack?

Taylor? The talented guy that in 127 snaps is allowing 72.7% completion percentage and 110.0 QB rating?

Brown? The guy that has literally not been on the active list minus one game with a total of 5 snaps on a bottom 5 OL unit?

Smith? Active one game and in a total of 8 snaps?

Fletcher? The LONG SNAPPER who didn't technically even make the team?

Hoskins? The guy who has yet to be active in a game?

So, while we have seen flashes from a few, where are these sure things that make this a successful draft through a total of six games? Is Mac Jones a superstar through Week 6? Trevor Lawrence? Justin Fields? Zach Wilson? Kyle Pitts?

I don't recall too many busts or superstars at week 6 of their rookie year.

• Flames 1