• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you?

Cdparr7

Those that are worried about losing picks to fix the OL... do you really think we'll fix QB in fewer than those picks?  We didn't even draft one when we had a chance last draft.  This franchise has literally NEVER developed a QB.  This coaching staff doesn't know how and I don't trust them to.  They have failed twice on judgement on Teddy and Sam.  Watson is already developed and proven.  In my opinion, even though he costs picks, we'll save picks from the years of trying to find a QB (we're already two years in after trying Teddy/Sam).   

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

Right…but we would have no picks in the first 3 rounds.  It is going to be hard to fix WITH our first rounder.

This next season, sure. But we literally only have one now. 

The OL is going to be a challenge whether we trade for Watson or not. We don't have much quality draft capital available in the 2022 draft, the free agency market is going to be very expensive and more importantly....I don't think people realize how bad our situation is on the OL. We don't just need four new starters, we probably need at least 3 capable backups, as well. 

You heard Fitterer already talk about it this season, he can't even get people to trade quality backup OL.

Just now, onmyown said:

Would’ve like Stafford. Or the team have the competency to draft a QB. Looks like Jones was overlooked. Could’ve even traded down for him. 

Could build like Buffalo did, Chiefs did, 49ers have in the past. Build a legit team and get your guy when the opportunity presents itself. That isn’t trading the future for someone with legal issues and big cap number. There are many paths to the end goal. Watson isn’t the ONLY solution.  This clearly reeks of desperation, and Panthers may be desperate but doesn’t mean keep making dumb moves.

So stand pat and hope we spot a QB in the draft that we like. Until then just continue to build through the draft. The long play may eventually pan out, but I think some of our older Panthers fans will pass away before we have a good team.

1 minute ago, Zaximus said:

Those that are worried about losing picks to fix the OL... do you really think we'll fix QB in fewer than those picks?  We didn't even draft one when we had a chance last draft.  This franchise has literally NEVER developed a QB.  This coaching staff doesn't know how and I don't trust them to.  They have failed twice on judgement on Teddy and Sam.  Watson is already developed and proven.  In my opinion, even though he costs picks, we'll save picks from the years of trying to find a QB (we're already two years in after trying Teddy/Sam).   

Absolutely provided he plays and doesn’t get injured or suspended for any length of time.  He is a top QB on the field so agree there completely 

2 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Can we blame them for lack of development on Teddy and Sam though? Those guys were known entities. I can definitely see the extreme lack of ability to evaluate QB's properly, that I will give you.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Can we blame them for lack of development on Teddy and Sam though? Those guys were known entities. I can definitely see the extreme lack of ability to evaluate QB's properly, that I will give you.

I mostly meant the lack of judgement on those guys not so much developing them.  

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

So stand pat and hope we spot a QB in the draft that we like. Until then just continue to build through the draft. The long play may eventually pan out, but I think some of our older Panthers fans will pass away before we have a good team.

Well, that is how bad franchises eventually get their guy. You can also be aggressive and trade up to get your guy. There are a lot of ways to get better at QB without trading for Watson. 

To date, this staff has chosen the worst possible options available.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This next season, sure. But we literally only have one now. 

The OL is going to be a challenge whether we trade for Watson or not. We don't have much quality draft capital available in the 2022 draft, the free agency market is going to be very expensive and more importantly....I don't think people realize how bad our situation is on the OL. We don't just need four new starters, we probably need at least 3 capable backups, as well. 

You heard Fitterer already talk about it this season, he can't even get people to trade quality backup OL.

Yeah, this offensive line is the worst in football IMO.  Drafting and/or adding FAs doesn’t ensure they will be any good either.  

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Well, that is how bad franchises eventually get their guy. You can also be aggressive and trade up to get your guy. There are a lot of ways to get better at QB without trading for Watson. 

To date, this staff has chosen the worst possible options available.

Yeah we can go with the draft to get our QB. No problem with that, but that's the loooooong plan. You're looking at getting slaughtered for possibly 3 more seasons, and that's if we even find our guy. That's going to be BRUTAL if that is the plan. 

Just now, Shocker said:

Yeah, this offensive line is the worst in football IMO.  Drafting and/or adding FAs doesn’t ensure they will be any good either.  

We aren't performing the worst in the NFL by most measures but I am not sure all of them have the extreme lack of OL unit ability that we do. I don't know that I wouldn't take some of those lower performing units at this point. 

9 minutes ago, pantherj said:

It doesn’t have to be a long play, it just takes competency, as I said FO passed on what looks to be a good QB. Watson isn’t a bonafide fast track to instant success either, not sure why you’d think that.

Incompetency of the FO to draft olineman, qb, or develop a qb isn’t justification for saying ‘screw it we’re too incompetent to draft anyways let’s just trade them all away in desperation’.

Watson isn’t going to fix this incompetency even if he did come here. The argument here should be remedying that issue not trying desperately to cover it up and trade for a player in a situation like Watson. 

If Watson is the sole path to success for you nothing anyone says will really make sense.

Edited by onmyown

2 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Yeah we can go with the draft to get our QB. No problem with that, but that's the loooooong plan. You're looking at getting slaughtered for possibly 3 more seasons, and that's if we even find our guy. That's going to be BRUTAL if that is the plan. 

Well, it CAN be a long plan. Sometimes you just hit the guy right away with a top 5-10 draft pick. Sometimes it takes almost 20 years. 

I don't think I foresee this staff going the "trial and error" method because they can feel the heat building from ownership. That's why I think the Watson move is the most likely option. I don't think Tepper is happy with this losing and I think the coaching staff is realizing how badly they fuged up with the Darnold move. They put themselves in an impossible situation by trading for this bum and then not having ANY realistic backup options on the roster. 

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

It doesn’t have to be a long play, it just takes competency, as I said FO passed on what looks to be a good QB.

Incompetency of the FO to draft olineman, qb, or develop a qb isn’t justification for saying ‘screw it we’re too incompetent to draft anyways let’s just trade them all away in desperation’.

Watson isn’t going to fix this incompetency even if he did come here. The argument here should be remedying that issue not trying desperately to cover it up and trade for a player in a situation like Watson.

If Watson is the sole path to success for you nothing anyways says will really make sense.

I never said your plan didn't make sense. Watson is not the only option obviously.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, it CAN be a long plan. Sometimes you just hit the guy right away with a top 5-10 draft pick. Sometimes it takes almost 20 years. 

I don't think I foresee this staff going the "trial and error" method because they can feel the heat building from ownership. That's why I think the Watson move is the most likely option. I don't think Tepper is happy with this losing and I think the coaching staff is realizing how badly they fuged up with the Darnold move. They put themselves in an impossible situation by trading for this bum and then not having ANY realistic backup options on the roster. 

If we're going with drafting a rookie QB, then my god it's going to be a while and that's if he's really good. If he's a bust then god help us. What would be your plan?