• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I get why some didn't want Watson, but it's not a happy time.

top dawg

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

When you know what to expect and realize that your owner is intentionally tanking the team, the bitter pill, which wasn't even really bitter, is easy to swallow. That was a classic tank job. Here, we are supposed to be getting better, but I can't say that we have. It's very nebulous. What I know for sure is that our QB hasn't made the offense better (which makes the defense appear worse as well), and it's even more of a QB-driven league than it was a decade ago. Without a franchise QB, you're really nothing but a dice roll in the NFL.

Nah. When Rhule was hired Tepper stated this was a 5 year rebuild and that it would take time to turn things around. If you expected a magic turnaround in year two, then your expectations were too high. When they traded for Darnold, I said he should get the chance to prove he had what it takes. They gave him that chance and it hasn't given good results. Others said not to expect much from Darnold based off his past. Yet, people got fooled by a 3-0 start against bad teams playing with rookie QBs making their first starts and a depleted Saints team with a bad QB. That led to some having even higher expectations. People need to learn to manage their expectations better and consider all the facts while doing so and not letting blind hope cloud their judgement.

You're correct that Darnold hasn't made the offense better. Part of it is on the coaching/scheme/playcalling and the rest is on his surrounding cast. They refuse to run the ball to take some pressure off him. The Panthers have fielded the worst Oline I've ever seen from them and that's saying a lot considering some of the stinkers of the past. Darnold's release valve(CMC) is out once again. His WRs are dropping passes right and left and he has no dependable TEs to help. The rest is on him though. Darnold just doesn't appear to have what it takes between the ears to be a franchise QB.

As I've stated since before the draft, rebuild the Oline and add talent to the rest of the team. And I don't mean trading back for a lot of late round picks to churn the bottom of the roster. Add top talent early in the draft. Once, the Oline is at an average level, then go in on a rookie QB or see if they could talk a good vet into signing with the Panthers to make a superbowl run. Until then, let the team take their lumps and enjoy whatever you can from the games.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Nah. When Rhule was hired Tepper stated this was a 5 year rebuild and that it would take time to turn things around. If you expected a magic turnaround in year two, then your expectations were too high. When they traded for Darnold, I said he should get the chance to prove he had what it takes. They gave him that chance and it hasn't given good results. Others said not to expect much from Darnold based off his past. Yet, people got fooled by a 3-0 start against bad teams playing with rookie QBs making their first starts and a depleted Saints team with a bad QB. That led to some having even higher expectations. People need to learn to manage their expectations better and consider all the facts while doing so and not letting blind hope cloud their judgement.

You're correct that Darnold hasn't made the offense better. Part of it is on the coaching/scheme/playcalling and the rest is on his surrounding cast. They refuse to run the ball to take some pressure off him. The Panthers have fielded the worst Oline I've ever seen from them and that's saying a lot considering some of the stinkers of the past. Darnold's release valve(CMC) is out once again. His WRs are dropping passes right and left and he has no dependable TEs to help. The rest is on him though. Darnold just doesn't appear to have what it takes between the ears to be a franchise QB.

As I've stated since before the draft, rebuild the Oline and add talent to the rest of the team. And I don't mean trading back for a lot of late round picks to churn the bottom of the roster. Add top talent early in the draft. Once, the Oline is at an average level, then go in on a rookie QB or see if they could talk a good vet into signing with the Panthers to make a superbowl run. Until then, let the team take their lumps and enjoy whatever you can from the games.

A lot of what you said isn't wrong, but Tepper said a 5 year rebuild, but the team's actions have greatly contradicted that.

We've moved from one "win now" hell to another between Marty and Tepper. Before we were just tossing washed up defensive linemen and bad contracts onto the fire. Now we're tossing any QB we can get our hands on and draft picks into the fire.

This isn't a team on a 5 year rebuild until their actions say they are.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, joemac said:

Excuse me, but Sam Howell could not lace Cams boots. 

I should hope not since the boots belong to Cam.

Seriously though, I didn't say Howell would be an elite or franchise QB. But he would be someone that could excite a huge part of the population due to being a UNC guy and also a hometown(state) kid. Never underestimate people's desire to see a local person make good nor their willingness to give said person time to do so.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, OhhhhCam said:

It’s Def not the lowest i ever felt we’re 3-4 it’s only because we all know we have the talent we all wanted for awhile it’s just now all we missing is a damn QB the worst thing to need . Of course our oline is trash that’s our tradition 

I just don't see the talent there at LBer and OL to think we're close. Those two areas are vital to us getting over the hump outside of QB. 

7 minutes ago, joemac said:

The only thing worse than sucking right now are the assholes on here who come back to gloat about predicting that we would suck. 

It wasn’t a prediction. It was common sense.

sam darnold had been the leagues literal worst QB for three seasons. We had a college head coach who hadn’t demonstrated an ability to evaluate personnel, and hired a general manager because he could look at rhule and say “yes sir” and at tepper and say “wow how about that Microsoft huh” instead of a GM who could work with authority over rhule and diminish his weaknesses to allow his strengths to shine more prominently.

there was never anything scandalous about it. Only scandalous people who can’t hear criticism.

Edited by Growl
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Madwolf said:

A lot of what you said isn't wrong, but Tepper said a 5 year rebuild, but the team's actions have greatly contradicted that.

We've moved from one "win now" hell to another between Marty and Tepper. Before we were just tossing washed up defensive linemen and bad contracts onto the fire. Now we're tossing any QB we can get our hands on and draft picks into the fire.

This isn't a team on a 5 year rebuild until their actions say they are.

Maybe they just have odd ideas about building a contender. 🤷‍♂️

Tepper, Rhule, and Fitt strike me as the sorts that think they can out think everybody else. Having a little ego can be a good thing. Having a lot of ego is often not a good thing. And I think we're seeing the later.

As for publicly saying they expect to make the playoffs, I can't ever think of an owner, GM, or coach say otherwise no matter if they knew it wasn't happening or not. Part of that might be showing confidence in their players, but odds are it's about keeping the fans coming to games to buy overpriced beer, merch, and food so the owner keeps making money.