• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Options at QB

jonbig04

I'm no expert, but it seems to me the main problem with our team is that Jake simply...well, isn't playing very well. We all like him. There was a time when he was a great QB, but I think that time has come and gone and I think the panthers are suffering for it. Other aspects of our team look good to me. But in the NFL any weakness is going to be exploited, and our passing game is often our downfall. Now that I'm finished stating the obvious the question becomes what can we do about it?

How good is Matt Moore? Is a he a realistic option for next season? Do we need to focus on finding someone new? Isn't The Golden Calf of Bristol going to be around next year? We have all bitched about Jake, but the truth is that he is all we have right now so we have to suck it up. But next year maybe we can get something done. Any ideas?

AJ Feely never put together a stretch as pathetic as Jake has this year. Feely and Moore aren't the answer....but it would foolish to suggest they would have been worse than the 09 Jake. Some average/medicore QB play would probably given this team wins against the Bills, Miami, Saints.

I'm certainly in for giving Moore the reigns for the rest of the season. At 4-6, with no consistency being displayed except in bad and/or conservative play calling, why not see if he may do better than Jake has? If he shows real promise, we don't have to draft a QB, we can draft to fill other critical positions. We need to start looking at replacing Moose, he's a hundred years old. We always need O-line depth, and our run defense is starting to stink. Moore has been with the team for a few years now, he knows the system and personnel, and he thus represents some continuity.

I don't believe in pulling for as bad of a record as possible for draft positioning, I want to see who can do the job now. But I DO want a housecleaning of anyone involved with the atrocious play calling. Dan Henning sure looks like an offensive genius with the Dolphins. Is the OC being overruled by Fox? Is Jake making some of these bad calls? We lost to a team, in OUR house, that just lost their best player this week, and making due with a backup QB as well. If we don't win out, we have no hope for the playoffs. I do not believe Jake gives us our best chance at victory anymore. I say make the change..

I'm certainly in for giving Moore the reigns for the rest of the season. At 4-6, with no consistency being displayed except in bad and/or conservative play calling, why not see if he may do better than jake has? If he shows real promise, we don't have to draft a QB, we can draft to fill other critical positions. We need to start looking at replacing Moose, he's a hundred years old. We always need O-line depth, and our run defense is starting to stink. Moore has been with the team for a few years now, he knows the system and personnel, and he thus represents some continuity.

I don't believe in pulling for as bad of a record as possible for draft positioning, I want to see who can do the job now. But I DO want a housecleaning of anyone involved with the atrocious play calling. Dan Henning sure looks like an offensive genius with the Dolphins. is the OC being overruled by Fox? Is Jake making some of these bad calls? We lost to a team, in OUR house, that just lost their best player this week, and making due with a backup QB as well. If we don't win out, we have no hope for the playoffs. I do not believe Jake gives us our best chance at victory anymore. I say make the change..

Good points. It would be interesting to see what Moore would do given a few whole games to start. I'm all for trying that.

With how our Playoffs hope are over, maybe now would be a good time to give Moore some majority of the play & see how he does before we name him the starter like he's some savior & is better than Jake. If Moore can still prove he is good as he was during the last 3 games 2 yrs. ago, then maybe we don't need to draft a QB.

Not saying I agree, but I think the Panthers think Josh McCown is their potential new QB. They traded for him, and he has been the #2. He has experience, he has been a starter, and is the 'typical middle of the road, average at best QB' that they seem to like (see Peete, and see Jake). I've also noticed that since McCown has been on IR, he travels to all the games and is still involved (huddles with coaches & Jake & etc). It will be interesting to see if they re-sign him because his contract is up after this season (as is Matt Moore's).

start moore this year and see what happens. we already know for sure what jake is incapable of doing on a regular basis. let's see moore show one way or the other and then if moore can't do it, then we have no reason to keep him on the team next year. draft one or get one from FA in the offseason and give him and mccown real shots.

truth is, though, that as long as jake is on the team, esp. if fox is going to be here, we aren't going to see any other QB being given an honest shot at the job. fox/jake are on such high pedestals in that locker room that no new guy has a chance.

best thing to do is for hurney to man up and get rid of fox and jake. i don't think he has the guts to do it, though, which is why he should be fired.

Ricky "Frito" Ray

He's done well in a system that focuses on taking what the defense gives instead of trying to make something happen. He could fill the gap for 4-5 years while we wait to grab another team's backup (a la Schaub) or draft a future starter. AND he wouldn't be a bank breaker if he doesn't work out.

Are we going to hold onto Moore like we did Jeff Lewis and Chris Wienke? Until it is too late and our season goes in the tank. I say give Moore his shot for the rest of the season. If he pans out then he should be #1 going in with McNown #2 and Jake #3. If he really stinks it up. Cut Moore, promote Cantwell and give him a shot. Since the season is nearly lost then we need to look at all our options at QB. A.J. Feeley should only be a backup. At 32 we don't need a short-term replacement.

Go Panthers

Archived