• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College to NFL coaching success

Eazy-E

7 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Exactly hiring Rhule and giving him that massive contract was a huge dumb mistake. Oh yeah and to top it off, allow him to hire a coaching staff of even more college coaches with no NFL experience. Recipe for disaster.

I agree with the college coaches are rarely ever successful in the NFL.  I’m never opposed to a retread depending on who it is AND I’d prefer that over a college coach.  Maybe Rhule will pan out, I’ll stay hopeful …. BUT like you said , I think then having an entire staff of college coaches and one, Brady, I don’t think was even a coordinator in college was a mistake.  

posted in another thread: 

I have also learned my lesson on college coaches making the jump to the NFL.  It just doesn't work (outside of maybe Pete Carroll).  College football and the NFL are just entirely different environments which require skill sets tailored to them in order to succeed:

College Head Coach - be a good salesman / politician to recruit the top talent & then coast on that talent for most of the season.  Only have to really game plan for 2 or 3 games a year.  Mostly just play golf with big Uni donors in the offseason and simply enjoy life.  Prime example:  Nick Saban

NFL Head Coach - be an insane film junkie.  Work 18 hours a day every day to find the smallest flaw in your opponent to exploit.  With the salary cap & draft, talent levels across the league are fairly equal.  So the team that prepares the best will usually win games.  Have zero personality or life outside of football and be 100% committed to outworking your rivals.   Prime example:  Bill Belichick

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

posted in another thread: 

I have also learned my lesson on college coaches making the jump to the NFL.  It just doesn't work (outside of maybe Pete Carroll).  College football and the NFL are just entirely different environments which require skill sets tailored to them in order to succeed:

College Head Coach - be a good salesman / politician to recruit the top talent & then coast on that talent for most of the season.  Only have to really game plan for 2 or 3 games a year.  Mostly just play golf with big Uni donors in the offseason and simply enjoy life.  Prime example:  Nick Saban

NFL Head Coach - be an insane film junkie.  Work 18 hours a day every day to find the smallest flaw in your opponent to exploit.  With the salary cap & draft, talent levels across the league are fairly equal.  So the team that prepares the best will usually win games.  Have zero personality or life outside of football and be 100% committed to outworking your rivals.   Prime example:  Bill Belichick

Remember Phil Snow saying Dallas ran some thing they didn't see on film? fuging Duh that's what happens and if you can't adjust you shouldn't be in the NFL. I like Snow overall but he has the same issue as Rhule and Brady not having any answers for halftime adjustments if your initial game plan isn't working. You'd think that Dallas game 6-7 weeks ago would have had him come up with a scheme to combat that style of play but nope

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Remember Phil Snow saying Dallas ran some thing they didn't see on film? fuging Duh that's what happens and if you can't adjust you shouldn't be in the NFL. I like Snow overall but he has the same issue as Rhule and Brady not having any answers for halftime adjustments if your initial game plan isn't working. You'd think that Dallas game 6-7 weeks ago would have had him come up with a scheme to combat that style of play but nope

Very good point.  The ability to make quick, effective adjustments in-game & at half time separates the men from the boys in the NFL.  

But I'd say that a lot of that skill at adjustments comes from the coach's encyclopedic knowledge of the game.  And much of that is knowledge is from all those hours and hours and years of film study.  Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Seattle coach Pete Carrol 

USC (2001–2009)

Seattle Seahawks (2010–present)

2014 Super Bowl winner

Pete the Cheat broke every rule in the book at USC and only went on the NFL because his team was getting hammered by the NCAA. They still haven’t recovered from Pete the Cheat. 

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Pete the Cheat broke every rule in the book at USC and only went on the NFL because his team was getting hammered by the NCAA. They still haven’t recovered from Pete the Cheat. 

Not sure you can say he was ‘straight from college’ either. He had decent NFL experience unlike Rhule and Johnson.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

The Seahawks were Pete Carrols 3rd head coaching gig in the NFL.

Try again.

The answer for your question was correct.  Pete Carroll came directly from USC and won a Super Bowl. 

I think this is the question you wanted to have answered:

"Tell me, who was the last NFL coach that only had NCAA experience to win a Super Bowl? I’ll give you a hint, it wasn’t even in this century."

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

The answer for your question was correct.  Pete Carroll came directly from USC and won a Super Bowl. 

I think this is the question you wanted to have answered:

"Tell me, who was the last NFL coach that only had NCAA experience to win a Super Bowl? I’ll give you a hint, it wasn’t even in this century."

That question was directed at another poster as it was pertaining to the entire point of the original thread.

The way you rewrote it was how it was intended to be asked.

Sorry for the confusion 

• Pie 1

I definitely agree with Easy-E that guys with little to no NFL experience turn out to be bad NFL coaches.  I just think the game is surprisingly different between the two leagues.  

Strangely enough Rhule actually had a year as an offensive line coach for the Giants in 2012.  And even with that time he still is making a lot of rookie mistakes.  

I think the much better plan is for team owners to hire one of the accomplished, long term assistant NFL coaches as a new head coach.  A top OC or DC has a much better idea of what it takes to win at the professional level.  They still have a lot to learn about the additional coaching duties that a head coach performs.  But they are much closer to a finished product than hiring a college head coach.