• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"I had my entire coaching staff from college." -Jimmy Johnson on Urban Meyer

Icege

59 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

I haven’t even looked through all of Rhule’s collegiate seasons, but this is wrong. His Baylor teams beat ranked Oklahoma State teams two years in a row. 

Oklahoma state was not ranked in 2019 when Baylor beat them, the only team they beat that was ranked that year was Texas who was ranked #25. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ONGR_enUS937US937&sxsrf=AOaemvKXBkxZ7ft5fZDYGmRsX8UK49sSWA:1640194418248&q=baylor+2019+games&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc1KWt-Pf0AhUIoHIEHVLMBHoQBSgAegQIAhAx&biw=1638&bih=754&dpr=1.13#sie=t;/m/047vqp_;6;/m/012hfxch;mt;fp;1;;

His college record vs ranked teams is garbage, i might have been off by a few games but it is still abysmal. 

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, Icege said:

“The difference is, in Dallas, I had my entire coaching staff from college. I had my administrative assistant, I had my P.R. director, I had my trainer.

His admin assistant, his PR person and his trainer.

And Jimmy Johnson was by far the exception and not the rule. Not to mention the fact JJ left Miami for more than just the opportunity to coach the Cowboys. His Miami University team was one the most crooked programs in the country at the time.

And the Cowboys haven't won sh!t since.

Edited by Anybodyhome

30 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Oklahoma state was not ranked in 2019 when Baylor beat them, the only team they beat that was ranked that year was Texas who was ranked #25. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ONGR_enUS937US937&sxsrf=AOaemvKXBkxZ7ft5fZDYGmRsX8UK49sSWA:1640194418248&q=baylor+2019+games&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc1KWt-Pf0AhUIoHIEHVLMBHoQBSgAegQIAhAx&biw=1638&bih=754&dpr=1.13#sie=t;/m/047vqp_;6;/m/012hfxch;mt;fp;1;;

His college record vs ranked teams is garbage, i might have been off by a few games but it is still abysmal. 

I was looking at his record on this site. 

https://fbschedules.com/2019-baylor-football-schedule/

32 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

After some additional review, I think the site I am using accounted for ranking at the time of the game, whereas the Google link seems to account for ranking at the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Bama Panther said:

After some additional review, I think the site I am using accounted for ranking at the time of the game, whereas the Google link seems to account for ranking at the end of the season. 

Probably so, but beating a team early in the season that is ranked is a lot different than beating a ranked team late in the season. plenty of pretenders in an early season ranking. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Probably so, but beating a team early in the season that is ranked is a lot different than beating a ranked team late in the season. plenty of pretenders in an early season ranking. 

UNC football- preseason ranked the last few years only to end up 7-5 and playing in the "Nobodygivesashit Bowl."

7 hours ago, Bama Panther said:

This is such bull crap. He spent four years at Temple and three at Baylor. He took Temple from a two win team his first year to a two-time division champ in a four year period. He took Baylor from a one win team riddled from the Art Briles scandal to an 11 win team in the Sugar Bowl in his third and final year. If those two rebuilds are “somewhat improv[ing]” a team, you and those like you were never going to give Rhule a fair shake. 

Those aren't championships.

I give him all the credit in the world at the mid-tier college level, but before I hand over full control of an NFL team to anybody, I'm gonna need to see a national championship at the very least.

As it was, if Tepper had simply handed him a standard head coaching job, I'd likely be a lot more charitable right now.

Unfortunately, that's not what happened.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Those aren't championships.

I give him all the credit in the world at the mid-tier college level, but before I hand over full control of an NFL team to anybody, I'm gonna need to see a national championship at the very least.

As it was, if Tepper had simply handed him a standard head coaching job, I'd likely be a lot more charitable right now.

Unfortunately, that's not what happened.

Like Urban Meyer?

I would never hire a college coach to begin with, unless he had significant NFL experience. 

But if I did, national championships would not be a requirement.   Winning a National Championship in college is as much or perhaps more about the program you are coaching as it is about your abilities as a coach.  

One can be the greatest coach in the history of football but not win a national championship at Duke.  Or be a below average NFL coach, but win multiple championships at Alabama.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

One can be the greatest coach in the history of football but not win a national championship at Duke.  Or be a below average NFL coach, but win multiple championships at Alabama.  

If you are the greatest coach in the history of football and you’re winning at Duke, you are going to get an opportunity at a school that could win a championship.

Also Alabama isn’t an automatic ticket to a championship.  They were not a great team when Saban took over, and they won’t be after he leaves.

I’m not so sure about requiring a national championship to be interested in a college coach at the pro level.  But Rhule didn’t beat anyone.

For me, I just wouldn’t be interested in a head coach from the college ranks.  NFL experience seems to win out vs purely college coaches.

6 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

If you are the greatest coach in the history of football and you’re winning at Duke, you are going to get an opportunity at a school that could win a championship.

Maybe, possibly.  But national championships in college are more about the program.  If you aren't at one of the elite ones, you aren't winning a national championship, no matter how good you are.  

• Pie 1

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Maybe, possibly.  But national championships in college are more about the program.  If you aren't at one of the elite ones, you aren't winning a national championship, no matter how good you are.  

You’re right about an elite program being required but Steve Spurrier is a great example of this.  He had success at Duke and went onto Florida.  Granted that was 100 years ago and it’s one guy, but coaches who win at low tier programs get a shot to move up.

10 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I would never hire a college coach to begin with, unless he had significant NFL experience. 

But if I did, national championships would not be a requirement.   Winning a National Championship in college is as much or perhaps more about the program you are coaching as it is about your abilities as a coach.  

Neither would I.

If the overwhelming majority of their resumé is ollege coaching, I'm probably not interested in hiring them for an NFL head coaching job at all, but if I were it would only be with some pretty high stipulations.