• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who to draft....

musicman

26 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I don't agree.  Those are #1 overall picks, and not even normal #1 overall picks.  They might only happen once a decade and that year you might win 5 games and not have the top pick.

Thats the problem, everyone is waiting for that type of prospect and you can't, a franchise can go 20 years without the opportunity to draft that type of prospect.  Most of the time you have to gamble on a QB. 

I may not have explained myself well. I realize generational QBs are rare. But, there are guys that come out who are considered legitimate 1st round choices. I haven’t watched much NCAA this year. I’m only going by what pundits, and some Huddlers have said…that there isn’t a QB good enough to go in the top 10 in the 1st round THIS YEAR.

Sam Darnold, Mitch Trabinsky, Christian Ponder, Jake Locklear, Jamarcus Russell, etc were not good enough to go in the first round, but they were taken because some front office felt “we need to take a QB in the first round “ so let’s use our high draft choice and get a franchise QB while we can. We see how those choice turned out.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Reebis21 said:

U can say this all u want but it can’t be a blanket comment. It literally depends on what QBs r in the draft and what Oline are free agents. 

With that said, I’d love to hear who u think are good Olinemen this offseason. Not to mention teams gotta overpay for Oline signings. And then please tell me what QB u think is a franchise guy.

I’ve said this countless times. Fix the damn oline thru the draft because if we don’t, it does not matter if we added a Trevor Lawrence talent. He would get murdered by the pass rush.

Just stating that people screaming for us not to draft a QB until we fix our OL has been debunked by many of those rookie QBs I named. Yes you will have to pay a premium for a premium FA OL like the Chiefs did with Thuney last offseason, Schreff is going to be a FA from that dominant WFT OL on the top of my head. There are usually good OL FAs you just have to pay for them. There are never good QB FAs. Finally solid interior OL can be drafted in the later rounds. It’s easier/quicker to fix the OL than replacing a QB. 
The Jags have actually invested a lot in their OL. Lawrence playing poorly is more due to coaching IMO. If our current staff or (hopefully) new staff are high on a QB like Pickett, they should  just draft him. Once you get a rookie QB on the cheap pay scale you can really payout for the better FA OL and start drafting OL/weapons for him that fit his skill set the following year.

15 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I may not have explained myself well. I realize generational QBs are rare. But, there are guys that come out who are considered legitimate 1st round choices. I haven’t watched much NCAA this year. I’m only going by what pundits, and some Huddlers have said…that there isn’t a QB good enough to go in the top 10 in the 1st round THIS YEAR.

Sam Darnold, Mitch Trabinsky, Christian Ponder, Jake Locklear, Jamarcus Russell, etc were not good enough to go in the first round, but they were taken because some front office felt “we need to take a QB in the first round “ so let’s use our high draft choice and get a franchise QB while we can. We see how those choice turned out.

Damn good post

16 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

People probably said the same thing about Mahomes and Rodgers.

Who says we are picking in the top 10 next year.  What if we improve the line and go 10-7 and are picking 17th.    At 17 next year we might get a worse QB than 8 this year even though it might be a better overall class.

I'm not saying there is a perfect answer.  QBs are hard to find.

People just need to realize, unless you happen to have a #1 overall pick in a rare year a generation QB is available, there will almost always be a safer non QB pick.  Sooner or later you have to gamble.

The irony in all of this is you can probably say the same thing about LTs.  More times than not they are overdrafted so you almost have to reach for them, or the rare year value meats draft position you need to take them.

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

People probably said the same thing about Mahomes and Rodgers.

Who says we are picking in the top 10 next year.  What if we improve the line and go 10-7 and are picking 17th.    At 17 next year we might get a worse QB than 8 this year even though it might be a better overall class.

I'm not saying there is a perfect answer.  QBs are hard to find.

People just need to realize, unless you happen to have a #1 overall pick in a rare year a generation QB is available, there will almost always be a safer non QB pick.  Sooner or later you have to gamble.

The irony in all of this is you can probably say the same thing about LTs.  More times than not they are overdrafted so you almost have to reach for them, or the rare year value meats draft position you need to take them.

Just so much wrong in this post.  Not even sure where to start

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

30 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

You just named busts which there are plenty OL busts as well. We had Otah and Matt Kalil who were drafted in the first. Erving was also drafted in the first. Busts happen and are part of the draft process. Russell was drafted based on potential just like Josh Allen. One worked out and one didn’t. I have no problem taking OL first, but the OL shouldn’t decide if we draft a QB or not. QB comes first, if we see no reasonable options then OL is a huge need. 

Rodgers wasn't taken until after the 20th pick. Lamar Jackson was taken at the end of the first round. Drew Brees was a high second round choice. I think Favre was taken in the 2nd as well.  Russel Wilson lasted until the 3rd round. Dak Prescott was a 4 rounder. Brady lasted to the 6th round. Kurt Warner and Tony Romo weren't even drafted.

You don't have to pick in the top 10 to get a franchise QB. There are people on the forum so desperate to get a QB that they'd draft me if I were the highest ranked QB coming out even though I'd arguably be the worst QB in NFL history using the logic "We may not be picking in the top 10 next year"

12 hours ago, AU-panther said:

like what?

There is no way to guarantee you are going to be in position to draft a better QB prospect in 2023 as 2022.

It might be more likely but not 100%.

Couple of things here.  With Rhule coaching and darnold as the qb I feel damn near certain we will be picking in the top 10 next season.  What has he shown you that we will not have a high pick next season.?

Secondly even if by some miracle we are in the teens then do what KC did, trade up for your guy.   Overdrafting someone like Pickett and running him out there next year behind this poo line is just a sure fire way to get him killed and ruin his development.   This is a poo year for qbs and a phenomenal one for oline.  I mean damn there could be 5 lineman picked in the top 10 and we are going to be holding our dicks picking some scrub 25 year old that Rhule knows from high school.  Dont waste this pick (again,,,derrick brown. Horn) on picking the wrong position.  Build the fuging line while you still have some valuable draft capital.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know what comes next, we can build the line through FA.  Newsflash that poo doesnt work.  It doesnt.  Look at our history.   What left tackle is out there?  What center is out there?  Are you going to break the bank for a guard knowing the next couple of seasons are a wash?  It doesnt make a damn lick of sense.  Build the line organically like every fuging playoff team has.  Quit cutting corners.

• Pie 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:25 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

Couple of things here.  With Rhule coaching and darnold as the qb I feel damn near certain we will be picking in the top 10 next season.  What has he shown you that we will not have a high pick next season.?

Secondly even if by some miracle we are in the teens then do what KC did, trade up for your guy.   Overdrafting someone like Pickett and running him out there next year behind this poo line is just a sure fire way to get him killed and ruin his development.   This is a poo year for qbs and a phenomenal one for oline.  I mean damn there could be 5 lineman picked in the top 10 and we are going to be holding our dicks picking some scrub 25 year old that Rhule knows from high school.  Dont waste this pick (again,,,derrick brown. Horn) on picking the wrong position.  Build the fuging line while you still have some valuable draft capital.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know what comes next, we can build the line through FA.  Newsflash that poo doesnt work.  It doesnt.  Look at our history.   What left tackle is out there?  What center is out there?  Are you going to break the bank for a guard knowing the next couple of seasons are a wash?  It doesnt make a damn lick of sense.  Build the line organically like every fuging playoff team has.  Quit cutting corners.

What if Darnold isn't the QB?  Maybe we sign some midlevel FA QB.  Here again no guarantees you will be drafting in the top 10.

But we can do what KC did, trade up next year.  So spend one pick on an OL this year and multiple picks on a QB next?  Is that much better than spending one pick on a QB this year and multiple picks on OL next year?

Speaking of KC, everyone likes to reference them but in reality, that was a terrible QB class also.  Trubisky was the first QB off the board, think about that.  He might not even be the top QB in this class.  If anything what KC did with Mahomes would be more like us falling in love with someone like Howell, not waiting for a loading class with some can't miss prospect.

As far as LT go, I do agree though they are dang near impossible to find in free agency, but that doesn't mean that you can't improve the OL without spending a first round pick.

Unfortunately for us, our two biggest needs, QB and LT, are the positions that like you said are best found "organically" by spending high draft picks on.  QB just happens to be exponentially more important.

I'm not opposed to drafting an OT, in reality I'm often on the OT bandwagon but you have to at least do your due diligence on the QBs.  This idea that you can just wait until next year and find one is dangerous.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, MHS831 said:

They are (I think) going to play BC at LT this week.  If he can show signs of handling the job, we can find the other OL in free agency.  That would mean a QB could be in the cards.  Personally, I think there are 3-4 who could play in the NFL.

If Tepper let this staff draft a QB in this draft he needs to be drug tested.. No way he gets talked out of Feilds or Mac Jones but takes a Qb from one of the worst QB classes.. OMG I'll rip my TV off the wall..