• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After today, everyone should understand you need a QB

AU-panther

3 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Rhule developing a QB to fit in the NFL is way above his head. Just draft an o-linemen that's ready to be plugged in. Get a QB first overall in 2023 with a new coach.

This is truly the only answer.   You guys A)really want rhule to draft a qb?  B)Really want Rhule to develop a QB?  C)You really want a rookie qb behind this line?  and more importantly D)Do you really want to give Rhule any chance to slightly look good with a rookie so he can plead for more time to Tepper?

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Here is where our philosophies probably differ.  I dont think scouts get it wrong per se, I think its all about the situation.  Drop just about any qb into a poo situation and they are going to suck.  How many jet qb failures do you have to see to say hey maybe its the franchise not the player.  There is no way Fields is as bad as he looked this year IMO.  It was a poo show of a coaching staff.   I know its not feasible to every team but the way KC did with pat is picture perfect.  Build the line, have a great mentor teaching and a great coachign staff and simply let him sit to ease the pressure off.

What would mahoomes look like starting his rookie year on a team like the jets?

KC and Mahomes is a terrible example.  Everyone wants to wait for a better QB class but Mahomes was in a terrible QB class.

Trubisky was the first QB off the board, think about that.

If anythign drafting Mahomes would be more like a team falling in love with a QB this year and taking a chance.

Having a good team helps Mahomes but it doesn't change the fact that KC took a chance on a QB.  Do you honestly think Darnold would be just as successful as Mahomes if he was drafted by KC?

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I see your point but having a cannon isnt the end all be all.  We all remember the video of Russell throwing the ball from teh 50 on his knees

I absolutely agree. Go back and read through my posts here. I'm not trying to argue that you have to have a QBwith a cannon arm. I'm simply saying that these folks looking for this QB prospect who checks every single box are looking for the type of guy who comes along about once a decade. What's your odds of ending up #1 overall in that particular draft class?

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Medicals was his only real concern.  Talent and production was not questioned by anyone. Stop being petty.

That's a HUGE concern though. Especially coming off an injury that may lead to never getting back to 100%.

I'm not bring petty. You're being unrealistic and extraordinarily revisionist.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

KC and Mahomes is a terrible example.  Everyone wants to wait for a better QB class but Mahomes was in a terrible QB class.

Trubisky was the first QB off the board, think about that.

If anythign drafting Mahomes would be more like a team falling in love with a QB this year and taking a chance.

Having a good team helps Mahomes but it doesn't change the fact that KC took a chance on a QB.  Do you honestly think Darnold would be just as successful as Mahomes if he was drafted by KC?

The bears were universally mocked for moving up for Mitch.  I will try and find the article where the niners were openly laughing at that pick

Watson and mahomes were good prospects with insane physical skills

9 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You're asking the wrong questions.

What you, me or anyone on here believes about any of these QB prospects is completely and utterly irrelevant.  All that matters is what our scouts think, and then, assuming the organization is structured and run in a responsible way, our front office acting on those opinions.

If our scouts look at ANY of these QB prospects and say "This is a franchise QB", it would be irresponsible in the extreme to not draft that guy.  Even the best scouts and evaluators are wrong regarding QB prospects half the time.  Who are we as fans to think we know better?  It's a coin flip man.

Wrong, you draft the best players, period. If at #6 there is a player rated higher than your top QB, you take that player.  Believe me there absolutely will be. QB desperation on this board reeks of a geek hanging out after school to watch cheerleading practice from the bleachers by himself.  It's just sad.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yes you can.

what that there below is data.  A trend even.  We are going to suck monkey balls next season as long as sam is the qb and rhule is the coach

Rhules first 2 draft picks:  Pick 8.  Pick 6

Sam Darnold first 4 seasons:  Pick 3. Pick 11.  Pick 2. Pick 6

Even pick 6 doesn't get you the "can't miss QB".  This past draft you would have got QB4.

You can't compare Trevor and Wilson vs this year's class because they were not available for us.

Lets say we can pick QB1 this year, that means this year vs last year actually looks like:

Fields and Jones vs Howell, Corral, Picket, Willis.

All of sudden the classes don't seem that much different.

Tua aside, the media reviled Justin Herbert after he regressed to the mean his final season at Oregon, as did most of this board. 

trying to paint that class as being labeled “can’t miss” is verifiably false

theres a single “can’t miss” prospect in a draft about once a decade or so and people here actually believe you should wait for him and hope to luck into the 1st overall pick

”prepare the roster”

at some point you have to realize that either your methodology is bad or your ability to evaluate the position is

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Wrong, you draft the best players, period. If at #6 there is a player rated higher than your top QB, you take that player.  Believe me there absolutely will be. QB desperation on this board reeks of a geek hanging out after school to watch cheerleading practice from the bleachers by himself.  It's just sad.

Yeah, I'd take a 1st team All-Pro OG over a 2nd team All-Pro QB. 🤣

38 minutes ago, Growl said:

Far preferable to try and miss than to watch one of these guys inevitably go elsewhere and turn into playoff mainstays.

there are worse things in the world than a “bust.”

I get it. I wanted fields or move up for Lance this past year. 

I just don’t trust this staff to pick the right guy is all.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Wrong

How often is a QB really the best player available?  Unless you have the #1 pick in a generational year (Luck, Manning, Lawrance) a non-QB will almost always be rated higher.

Chase Young probably had a higher grade than Burrow.  

QBs are in a different league based on improtance, you can't compare them to non-QBs.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Even pick 6 doesn't get you the "can't miss QB".  This past draft you would have got QB4.

You can't compare Trevor and Wilson vs this year's class because they were not available for us.

Lets say we can pick QB1 this year, that means this year vs last year actually looks like:

Fields and Jones vs Howell, Corral, Picket, Willis.

All of sudden the classes don't seem that much different.

Pick 6 makes its crazy easy to move up to where you need to go.  You will still need to give whatever team a boatload but being at 6 makes it easier to move to pick 2 or even 1 if the situation is right

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

This 5 win crap only guarantees that we prolong QB purgatory. Just get it over with and have the worst record in 2022 like we should have done the last three years. Take the best quarterback available and pray he's the one.

I agree. Keep picking QBs till you find the guy. I doubt the Cards are losing sleep cause they picked QB in the first round in consecutive years with Rosen then Murray.

• Pie 1