• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

51 minutes ago, Icege said:

To be honest, I think that there are just certain things that people tend to look for when evaluating anything in life, QBs not being an exception. Some might focus on physical assets, others might focus on intangibles, etc. I like to look at what a team's needs are based on their situation. Then I look first at general stats for prospects before drilling down to advanced stats to see if I can get a "blueprint" for what to expect when I watch them play. I'm also looking at their entire career and game logs because I want to find possible trends and concerns to explore. Did their numbers drop due to losing NFL-bound teammates that weren't replaced? Was their one hit wonder year due to a new OC and strong recruiting class? Was there a nagging injury that caused their Y/A to tank for 3 straight games? Their OL allowed 9 sacks in their worst game, is that why they threw the most picks they had all year then?

That's me though. I like to DEEP DIVE on stuff to see if it can help me predict what happens next (or, more often, understand why something else happened). Somebody else might prefer Kenny Pickett due to his prolific senior year, Desmond Ridder due to having the more prolific career, and/or Bailey Zappe for putting up those video game numbers. From the numbers (I've still got to watch Ridder + Zappe's games), I think that it's abundantly clear that Howell is the better prospect.

I was liking Ridder and the more I saw, I just see an awkwardness to his game that is a turn off.  Big stride type runner, slow mechanics, good arm but his throws don't have zip/can float.  Just don't think he will translate off the bat. Kind of like Josh Dobbs if that makes sense.

Zappe has all the time in the world and wide-open receivers in his games.  It's like open season for him to do whatever the heck he wants and that's where his numbers came from.  Their team was way above their comp level.  However, what I am really digging is how crystal clean his footwork is and he is just super accurate with his intermediate placement.  His rhythm and feet with his throwing mechanics is just great.  Then with that, hitting guys in the right spot on those intermediate throws is the thing I think can really make a rookie successful.  His biggest strike is he doesn't have the 50+ yard bomb in his arsenal when he's rushed/off balanced.  But he still routinely hit guys in stride 20+ yards downfield with zip and had some nice deep balls.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Just curious but do you think that all of these scouts and analysts that have him as the 4rth or 5th in the rankings are not watching his film and they don’t know his circumstances this season?

Scouts are wrong all the time - especially the “scouts” who work on ESPN, CBS, NFLN, etc. they are “scouts” for clicks and network TV. Just like that idiot they used to have on WFNZ who played college baseball. If these guys knew what they were talking about they would be working for an NFL team. 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I was gonna say... the numbers, circumstances, and play on the field couldn't make that comparison look more lazy and uninformed. Two completely different players and evaluations.

EZUPantherFan is a known troll here. He usually only pops up when there is a thread about Covid or anthem protests or basically any other topic where he can parachute in with some subtle racism. Truly pathetic. 

If Howell played for Oregon State or Florida a lot of these bozos on here slamming him would he clamoring for us to trade up to first and draft him! LOL! 

Edited by 4Corners

44 minutes ago, Icege said:

I think that they're watching a lot more film than I do, for sure. As far as how they leverage stats though, I don't know. I have my method (stats first, games later) because it helps me with identifying what games + situations to watch when I get the time to do so. All I can do is cite the data itself and provide my interpretation of it (as well as what I've seen from watching the actual games when able).

But I also don't think a Huddler that says that Howell is, "a poor man's Trubisky," has a clue as to what they're talking about. 

The guy has no intention of an honest conversation. Just FYI.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, davos said:

I was liking Ridder and the more I saw, I just see an awkwardness to his game that is a turn off.  Big stride type runner, slow mechanics, good arm but his throws don't have zip/can float.  Just don't think he will translate off the bat. Kind of like Josh Dobbs if that makes sense.

Zappe has all the time in the world and wide-open receivers in his games.  It's like open season for him to do whatever the heck he wants and that's where his numbers came from.  Their team was way above their comp level.  However, what I am really digging is how crystal clean his footwork is and he is just super accurate with his intermediate placement.  His rhythm and feet with his throwing mechanics is just great.  Then with that, hitting guys in the right spot on those intermediate throws is the thing I think can really make a rookie successful.  His biggest strike is he doesn't have the 50+ yard bomb in his arsenal when he's rushed/off balanced.  But he still routinely hit guys in stride 20+ yards downfield with zip and had some nice deep balls.

Ridder and Pickett's arm talent give me a lot of pause. I can see them operating in a West Coast offense that isn't asked to stretch the field vertically, but we've already seen how that gameplan works when it's the only one that you have in the NFL.

I haven't gotten to watch any of Zappe yet, but am excited to see exactly how he put up the numbers that he did. I'm especially eager to see if it'll lead to any possible gems that he had on the offense with him.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

Ridder and Pickett's arm talent give me a lot of pause. I can see them operating in a West Coast offense that isn't asked to stretch the field vertically, but we've already seen how that gameplan works when it's the only one that you have in the NFL.

I haven't gotten to watch any of Zappe yet, but am excited to see exactly how he put up the numbers that he did. I'm especially eager to see if it'll lead to any possible gems that he had on the offense with him.

I wasn't paying much attention to Zappe at first because I thought it was just a small school kid that was being talked up because of how meh this class is.  Gotta say, I'm impressed.  He just drops dimes all over.

Again, it's the great intermediate throws and great accuracy deep.  He just doesn't have a bomb.  He's not a Pennington/Ponder arm strength but more of an average starter level I.E. the Delhommes, Eli Mannings of the world.  He knows how to chuck that deep ball placement wise.  If James Morgan was a 4th rounder, Zappe is easily a 3rd in my book and his stock could rise.  

Mix that with better mobility than those types, I can see him being pretty successful.  Mechanically sound, clean, mobile, question being, how does he translate with the leap from Western KY to the big leagues.  

Could see him being ahead of Purdy, Ridder, & maybe Strong on a lot of team boards.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am strictly talking about the rankings.

If we're talking strictly about why they have him in their rankings where they do, it's for reasons that I've already stated. There are qualities that appeal to them more than other qualities that appeal more to me. Besides, there are a LOT of professional evaluators (with the teams or the media) and they've all got different rankings. Howell's evaluation is no different. Just look at how the different media entities have him ranked in terms of this year's QBs:

• 1st: PFF
  • 3rd: Brugler
  • 4th: ESPN
  • 5th: Mel Kiper, Todd McShay

I'm trying to understand the purpose of your line of questioning. What exactly is the point that you're trying to make or the answer that you're trying to get?

Edited by Icege

1 minute ago, davos said:

I wasn't paying much attention to Zappe at first because I thought it was just a small school kid that was being talked up because of how meh this class is.  Gotta say, I'm impressed.  He just drops dimes all over.

Again, it's the great intermediate throws and great accuracy deep.  He just doesn't have a bomb.  He's not a Pennington/Ponder arm strength but more of an average starter level I.E. the Delhommes, Eli Mannings of the world.  He knows how to chuck that deep ball placement wise.  If James Morgan was a 4th rounder, Zappe is easily a 3rd in my book and his stock could rise.  

Mix that with better mobility than those types, I can see him being pretty successful.  Mechanically sound, clean, mobile, question being, how does he translate with the leap from Western KY to the big leagues.  

Could see him being ahead of Purdy, Ridder, & maybe Strong on a lot of team boards.

I've got him at #7 ahead of Purdy + Strong in my preliminary rankings. 👀

Excited to see if he moves up ahead of Glass and Ridder to sneak into my top-5 as I learn and see more.