• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How far would the Stafford led Panthers have gone?

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

By that standard, Aaron Rodgers isn't a franchise quarterback.

I've never bought into the idea that a guy has to be able to "do it by himself" to be called a franchise quarterback because in fifty years of watching football, I've never seen a guy who can do it by himself.

It's always been a team sport (always will be) and having good players around them should never be used as an argument to diminish anyone's abilities.

I'm not saying by themselves, Scot.  I'm saying they are the main reason or contributor to their team winning.  I don't feel Stafford is that guy.  He wasn't even the best QB on the field last night.  He looks solid, but he often isn't the reason his teams win, he's just a part of it and more often than not, appears largely unimpressive.

8 hours ago, X-Clown said:

This sounds a lot like those people that never liked Cam Newton from the get go and were never going to have their opinion changed no matter what he did.

There is ZERO chance that Jared Goff could have made those two throws with all that was on the line to Kupp at the end against Tampa and a 10 point 4th quarter comeback against the Niners to even make it to this game. There’s a reason McVay and Snead were willing to give up two first rounders to dump Goffs contract, and bring in Stafford. I guarantee you there’s no point in the last 4 weeks they’ve regretted that call.

I doubt they regret it, but I also think its fair to wonder if they could've made the same run with Goff.

The reason Stafford had to make those throws late was because he threw two picks earlier.  He also missed wide open throws, including for a TD on the game winning drive...  he was bailed out by the refs giving him a whole new set of downs after they hadn't made a call for almost 4 quarters.  If they don't call that weak PI, that game is likely over after the next down.

I don't dislike Stafford, and it's not like Cam at all.  Stafford is cool.  I just don't think he is what the media has made him out to be all these years.  He's above average, he's solid, but if I'm a DC, he doesn't scare me...

4 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

They were a good team before trading for Stafford.  We are not a good team.

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.46.06 AM.png

The rams may indeed have a better roster. but panthers fans shouldn’t get too hung up sensationalizing the roster as a whole after last season. Poor QB play leaks it’s way into every component of the team. Good QB play elevates those around them, it just elevated the Rams to super bowl champions, and the Bengals to a spot in it. Robbie Anderson didn’t just turn into a bad player overnight.

42 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I doubt they regret it, but I also think its fair to wonder if they could've made the same run with Goff.

The reason Stafford had to make those throws late was because he threw two picks earlier.  He also missed wide open throws, including for a TD on the game winning drive...  he was bailed out by the refs giving him a whole new set of downs after they hadn't made a call for almost 4 quarters.  If they don't call that weak PI, that game is likely over after the next down.

I don't dislike Stafford, and it's not like Cam at all.  Stafford is cool.  I just don't think he is what the media has made him out to be all these years.  He's above average, he's solid, but if I'm a DC, he doesn't scare me...

Goff is a checkdown machine that utterly held back the Rams from having multiple titles. Any rams fan would tell you they were winning in spite of him, that McVay was having to scheme around all of him by short designed passes and hiding him as much as possible with the run game. Stafford will throw INTs from time to time but is willing to take chances and can bring a team back from behind. It's not a coincidence that Cooper Kupp put up the numbers he did in large part to the upgrade of Goff to Stafford. 

You missed the part of my post where the two throws to Kupp I referenced were during the Tampa game. Stafford didn't have any INTs in that game, and the reason he needed those throws were because of the four fumbles that other players lost. No way Goff does that with less than a minute left, they would be watching yet another Tom Brady super bowl victory if he was playing.

But since you're bringing up the super bowl, one of the INTs in the Super Bowl popped up off his WRs hands and went to a defender. The other one was a 50/50 ball thrown up on 3rd and 14 in the endzone, not a great throw but also not a back breaker. He also doesn't need a TD at the end if the refs don't miss a blatant OPI call on the Higgins TD. 

I don't ever remember the media giving Stafford much credit for anything. If anything it was the narrative that Cam faced his first two seasons of having good stats but not being a "winner" even though plenty of times he put his team in position to do so only to have things he had no control over cost him games.