• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's this? A coach shouldering some responsibility and not railroading his players???

LinvilleGorge

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Good coach. Good leader. They'll be back in it in a year or two.

Probably two, making allowance for the Superbowl loss slump.

The last 16 QBs that lost their super Bowl debut have never made it back...

Just saying...

I expect the Bengals to come crashing back down to earth next season, mainly due to Zac Taylor

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Biggest hurdle is the murderer's row of QBs in the AFC. You're probably going to have to go through some combination of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Lamar in the playoffs. If Lawrence or Wilson develop into that type of QB it could be even worse. I'm not a Jones fan, but Belichick still brings a nasty defense. AFC is loaded.

True. Tough era.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The last 16 QBs that lost their super Bowl debut have never made it back...

Just saying...

I expect the Bengals to come crashing back down to earth next season, mainly due to Zac Taylor

Could be. I think they'll take a drop next year but they'll be tough for a while. 

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think he's all that great of a coach. I'm just giving him respect for shouldering some responsibility and not railroading his players.

That's fine I guess.  I don't really personally care what a coach says up at the podium, I'm more interested in the product he puts out on the field which was the basis for my comparison between Rhule and Taylor.  The only time this "railroading" is a concern to me is if it starts ruffling some feathers in the locker room and there's no indication of that happening.

I mean we can agree the Bengals' o-line is pretty trash right?  There seems to be a fine line on whether it's commendable for a coach to shoulder the blame or if he's just "coddling" poo players publicly.  I think if Rhule went up there and talked about how he needs to do a better job as a coach of putting our o-line in a better position to succeed and maximize their strengths, we would all be collectively laughing at how delusional he is about our horrific o-line and we'd almost certainly get 19 threads talking about how this moron Rhule thinks our o-line is good enough to compete and he clearly has no intention of addressing o-line in the offseason, etc.

57 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That's fine I guess.  I don't really personally care what a coach says up at the podium, I'm more interested in the product he puts out on the field which was the basis for my comparison between Rhule and Taylor.  The only time this "railroading" is a concern to me is if it starts ruffling some feathers in the locker room and there's no indication of that happening.

I mean we can agree the Bengals' o-line is pretty trash right?  There seems to be a fine line on whether it's commendable for a coach to shoulder the blame or if he's just "coddling" poo players publicly.  I think if Rhule went up there and talked about how he needs to do a better job as a coach of putting our o-line in a better position to succeed and maximize their strengths, we would all be collectively laughing at how delusional he is about our horrific o-line and we'd almost certainly get 19 threads talking about how this moron Rhule thinks our o-line is good enough to compete and he clearly has no intention of addressing o-line in the offseason, etc.

The oline is, ultimately, his fault. It's his team. His guys. It was his position coaches. It's his responsibility to get the best players and make sure they are coached up correctly and doing their job. When they fail, it's up to him to make sure their mistakes are being corrected.

If he got up and placed blame on them, he's placing more blame on himself. 

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Doesn't make him a good leader or a good human, for that matter.

Some people are correlating coaches taking ownership and not blaming players with winning SB’s when it’s not true. Plus with the amount of people around here that want Watson means good human beings are out the window 

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, rayzor said:

The oline is, ultimately, his fault. It's his team. His guys. It was his position coaches. It's his responsibility to get the best players and make sure they are coached up correctly and doing their job. When they fail, it's up to him to make sure their mistakes are being corrected.

If he got up and placed blame on them, he's placing more blame on himself. 

Yeah exactly, which is why I'm not interested in what the coach is saying at the podium.  A coach up there saying "it was totally my fault, I take full responsibility" maybe comes off favorably for certain people who value optics, but at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words and you willfully went into the Super Bowl with that o-line.  If Rivera went up there after the 2016 Super Bowl and said "you know, I should have made sure adjustments were made on the o-line and our tackles had gotten help against Miller and Ware", do we honestly think a single Huddler would have praised him for taking accountability? Naw f that, we would've been like "NO poo, FOOL!".  The Bengals' second half collapse in protection was a prime example of a young inexperienced head coach unable to make adjustments to dig himself out of a bad situation.  Kind of similar to us, except in our case it was an entire 4 quarters of incompetency in making adjustments rather than just one half.