• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Nite: Habs @ Canes

Anybodyhome

Every game from here on out is important. 7 more home games after tonight and 7 road games thru the month of April, including 2 against the NY Rangers, who are breathing on the Canes tail right now.

I'll be at the game tonight courtesy of the Canes who gave us a pair of tickets when my wonderful wife, a huuuuuuge Caniac and Marty 88 fan, bought us season tickets for next season.

First, the bad news......

image.png.308c59feea4631ee927365bcc1896d45.png

Last Time Out: The Canes earned five out of a possible six points on a three-game road trip despite falling to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday. 26 seconds into OT Jordan Staal was called for a holding penalty, sending the Bolts to the man advantage where they'd cash in for the third time to reach the 4-3 final. It was just the second time this season Carolina allowed three goals on the power play.

Jarvis Racking Them Up: With yet another multi-point performance against Tampa, rookie Seth Jarvis now has had multiple points in four of his last seven games played. His 28 points this season rank fifth among players selected in the 2020 draft.

The Dynamic Duo: Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teravainen both enter tonight on five-game point streaks. Aho has three goals and two assists since March 22, while Teravainen has provided seven helpers.

Cole's Contributions: Defenseman Ian Cole comes into tonight's matchup with four assists in his last three games played. It's the third time this season that the first-year Cane has had a three-game streak, the first of which involves a multi-point game.

Possible Kotkaniemi Update: Tuesday in Tampa the only update Rod Brind'Amour had on forward Jesperi Kotkaniemi was that he was being looked at again on Wednesday. The team's newly extended forward was hit in the final seconds of the team's win over Washington on Monday, struggling to make his way off the ice. Brind'Amour is expected to speak to the media after morning skate.

A Look At The Other Side: Since Montreal was in Raleigh four months ago they have made some massive changes to the organization. Kent Hughes was hired as General Manager on January 19 and three weeks later Martin St. Louis was named the team's new head coach. Although they will not be making the post-season this year, their team has played much better since the changes occurred, going 10-8-4 with St. Louis behind the bench. The Habs have earned points in seven of their last ten games entering tonight.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

Milestones Within Reach: Max Domi's first goal with the Canes will be his 100th of his NHL career. Jordan Staal is two points shy of 600 for his career. Andrei Svechnikov is two points shy of 200 for his Hurricanes and NHL career.

What Are We Wearing?: The team will be wearing their red sweaters tonight.

The lineup: Domi moving up to the #2 line with Vinny and Svech.

Forwards:

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Trocheck - Domi

Niederreiter - Staal - Fast

Martinook - Stepan - Necas

Defensemen:

Slavin - DeAngelo

Skjei - Pesce

Smith - Cole

Starting Goalie:

Andersen

Injuries:

Ethan Bear

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Scratches:

Steven Lorentz

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I really wish they’d move Domi up. He’s either a bust or just not a good fit on the fourth line. 

He’s getting bumped up tonight.

Turbo - Aho - Jarvis

Svech - Trocheck - Domi

Nino - Staal - Fast

Marty - Stepan - Necas

Slavin - TDA

Skjei - Pesce

Smith - Cole

Andersen

Raanta

Injured: KK, Bear

Scratched: Lorentz

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

He’s getting bumped up tonight.

Turbo - Aho - Jarvis

Svech - Trocheck - Domi

Nino - Staal - Fast

Marty - Stepan - Necas

Slavin - TDA

Skjei - Pesce

Smith - Cole

Andersen

Raanta

Injured: KK, Bear

Scratched: Lorentz

Ya I read that after I posted, ha. I’d really like to see something from Domi. Cause right now he’s looking like a serious bust. 

47 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Domi can certainly sling the puck around, not much of a threat to shoot or much less score but he has some saucy feeds.

He will get there he has had some pretty goo offensive seasons in the past, he will find his spot and get some confidence, he will bury some.

To put the Max Domi noise to rest.... he started with the 4th line, the grinders, to get his feet wet after having been with the team for a couple days.

He finally got moved up to the 2nd line, which is where he belongs, but is also a much quicker group of skaters. He was already quicker than the guys on the 4th line, but if you watched him, he was always running into teammates because he was quicker to the puck than Staal, Fast, etc. Now that he's with quicker skaters, he'll have some space to do what he does best- see all the ice and make plays. Look, the guy has 99 goals in 8 seasons and we'll be happy to get 10-15 goals and 30-40 assists a season.

You mean this? I was at the game laughing my ass off... it was already a PP and this made it a 5 on 3 for about a minute, then a PP, but the Canes didn't capitalize on either. But the Habs had been in their own end for a very long shift and couldn't get a whistle- they were gassed- so I believe Allen tossed the helmet to get a whistle. He tried to make it look like there was something wrong with it, but.... listen to Tripp's explanation from the ref.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1