• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say we roll with Darnold

49 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

And for the most part, you are probably right. I just refuse to go all mental and scream at e v e r y stinkin thread being made.

This is the time of year for optimism. But this place has sucked the life out of it. The phrase "When I was a child, I acted as a child" sure fits this place right now.

I would rather suffer the slings and arrows. Than act like these folks. So I will continue to be optimistic for the future, and entertained by the diversity of the Huddle.

Oh, I get it. I took a break for a few weeks myself. While we can't control others, fans do have a lot of valid reasons to be frustrated. Personally, I'm incredibly excited to see what the offense will look like with an experienced play-caller as well as an actual NFL-calibre OL (Erving/Jordan/Elflein/Daley are all back-ups if the team gets a top 3 LT at #6, and Miller is straight up gone). On the other side of the ball, the pass rush has definitely taken a step back with the loss of Reddick, but the pass defense overall should be okay with the return of Horn + DJack.

We're going to have a lot more to scream into the void about for the draft. I can't wait. 😄

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

Oh, I get it. I took a break for a few weeks myself. While we can't control others, fans do have a lot of valid reasons to be frustrated. Personally, I'm incredibly excited to see what the offense will look like with an experienced play-caller as well as an actual NFL-calibre OL (Erving/Jordan/Elflein/Daley are all back-ups if the team gets a top 3 LT at #6, and Miller is straight up gone). On the other side of the ball, the pass rush has definitely taken a step back with the loss of Reddick, but the pass defense overall should be okay with the return of Horn + DJack.

We're going to have a lot more to scream into the void about for the draft. I can't wait. 😄

The pieces are there. Whether it makes paste or sauce is the question.

It's a great situation for a QB. Decent Defense. Improved Oline, especially if we get lucky. Upgraded Coaching. Upgraded RB room. It very well could work.

Or not. That's the great thing about sports. Damm near infinite possibilities.

• Pie 2

Everyone who keeps talking like fixing the OL will magically turn Sam Darnold into a legit NFL QB just isn't realizing the problem. Sam Darnold isn't a QB. He's a talented thrower of the football but he doesn't see the field like a QB.

Here's what happens far too often when Sam Darnold actually has time.

Pure panic followed by a comical mistake.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I still don't think Joe Brady was the problem.  the QB and 3 of our WRs all posted career seasons.  Teddy just wouldn't pull the trigger when needed.  Was Brady green? Sure.  But Joe Brady's track record pre Darnold in the NFL and college was impressive until Sam came to town. 

Then Sam Darnold came and did what he does.  I fail to see how McAdoo is going to alter the impact of what Sam Darnold does.  Sam isn't a MVP/Super Bowl QB.   Which is what McAdoo had success with and they were that before he arrived as OC. 

I think that Joe got flattened by the proverbial bus.

Rhule didn't put any experienced NFL offensive play-callers on his staff to help guide Joe, nor did he seem to actually understand the type of offense that Joe wanted to run and whether or not it fit with what Rhule's vision of the team overall was.

Joe had some Andy Reid-esque type moments in that he made some very, very bad playcalls in some crucial moments, but his offense never got the opportunity to be displayed behind a competent OL. If that was a selling point, then he definitely failed. If that was just the way the chips fell, then he got the short end of the stick for sure.

McAdoo's offense boasts high percentage throws to playmakers in space (which is what we heard re: Brady's offense). The current selling point is that in his first year as Eli's OC he cut the interceptions nearly in half and almost doubling his TDs. He also coached Eli to his highest career completion percentage at the time. Hopefully he can do even better with Sam, but we'll have to wait and see if he can produce a miracle.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Icege said:

I think that Joe got flattened by the proverbial bus.

Rhule didn't put any experienced NFL offensive play-callers on his staff to help guide Joe, nor did he seem to actually understand the type of offense that Joe wanted to run and whether or not it fit with what Rhule's vision of the team overall was.

Joe had some Andy Reid-esque type moments in that he made some very, very bad playcalls in some crucial moments, but his offense never got the opportunity to be displayed behind a competent OL. If that was a selling point, then he definitely failed. If that was just the way the chips fell, then he got the short end of the stick for sure.

McAdoo's offense boasts high percentage throws to playmakers in space (which is what we heard re: Brady's offense). The current selling point is that in his first year as Eli's OC he cut the interceptions nearly in half and almost doubling his TDs. He also coached Eli to his highest career completion percentage at the time. Hopefully he can do even better with Sam, but we'll have to wait and see if he can produce a miracle.

I would say it's safe to say that Sam pretty much has this year to salvage his career. With all the help we have given him, or have yet to give him. There really is no excuse.

That's if it's Sam this year. This team is set up pretty well for a QB. Whether it's Sam, or whomever.

• Pie 1