• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers should take a QB (article)

Growl

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

I would gladly take a player like terron armstead, thanks, and the team should’ve been willing to get involved in the Collins and Brown discussion. 

The pool of available OTs still has a number of guys I’d like to see them team sign, with teams no doubt waiting so they don’t have to guarantee their contracts but deals likely already in place in principle.

Collins isn't a lt and Brown who??

The guy KC had to trade for??

I'm waiting on all these available LT in FA you say are always there..

6 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Watson, Mahomes, and Allen were picked after the 8th picked.. 

And the fact that every QB in this draft is predicted to be around after the top 10 should tell you something...

If your opinion is you don't get the QB you truly want after the 7th picked why would you want QBS all predicted not to be worthy of top 15 picks??

Those 3 you mentioned had several red flags coming out of college. Allen was very raw and Mahomes needed to sit almost a year. They questioned if Watson could play from the pocket. That’s his point. If you aren’t picking in the top 1-3 you won’t get a prospect with no weaknesses/red flags. Not at the QB position…

Just now, WOW!! said:

Collins isn't a lt and Brown who??

The guy KC had to trade for??

I'm waiting on all these available LT in FA you say are always there..

pretty sure you said tackles but whatever, I was referring in the former half to Trenton and in the latter portion to Duane

1 minute ago, Growl said:

so you think waiting until later in the draft is preferable for finding a franchise QB?

are we really still here? Is this about to be a Tom Brady in the 6th kind of thing?

there is a clear mathematical track record reiterating that the higher you pick, the better your chances of success at the QB position. The best prospects are going to go there. They aren’t going 9th overall. We can find outliers, but, as with Tom Brady and the 6th round, you don’t use outliers to build a battle strategy.

Again you said you don't truly get the QB you want after the 7th picked..

In the same thread your screaming to draft QBS nobody thinks are worth top 15 picks??

Do you not see the Irony here??

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

28 minutes ago, Growl said:

Wow… I had never considered it in this light before. So QBs are like spinning rims and hog mollies are like engines. If only I had known.

the insult to my intelligence aside-no, there is no such thing as a franchise left tackle. I am aware of what good LT play looks like, and what bad LT play looks like, and the maximum contribution it can make to a team. I don’t need to hear the announcer say a name to comprehend it, thanks.

now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, the panthers lack of a second round pick is a moot point because you wouldn’t be taking a QB there anyways.

you don’t wait around to find a guy there-you take the highest rated guy as soon as possible-bypassing ancillary positions to do this.

Good left tackles can be found in free agency every offseason, and there’s no substantial benefit to getting them in their prime-a good rental at the position of a decent veteran player is going to add as many wins to your win total as a major financial commitment to a player coming off a rookie contract into his first deal-there is no added significance to returning a player at this position yearly. Outside the confines of free agency, we will be having this exact discussion next offseason about the four or five “generational” tackles that will be available then in the draft as well. The panthers will almost certainly not, however, have their pick of the QBs. The former is an annual occurrence, the latter is rare and very difficult to come by.

You insulted yourself. A QB is the engine, the oline is the oil. If you put garbage oil in a high end engine you have a blown engine.

I get it, you want a QB this year. I don't see more than an average QB. I do see the opportunity to acquire elite protection for that engine that isn't always available. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Those 3 you mentioned had several red flags coming out of college. Allen was very raw and Mahomes needed to sit almost a year. They questioned if Watson could play from the pocket. That’s his point. If you aren’t picking in the top 1-3 you won’t get a prospect with no weaknesses/red flags. Not at the QB position…

All had way better Physical talent and college tape then any of the QB in this draft?? That is the difference..

• Pie 1

also lol at using Allen and mahomes as examples

this board had those pegged as guaranteed busts under the same auspice that they have Willis pegged as one.

if Josh Allen and Patrick mahomes were in this class, the same people decrying it as “weak” would still be branding it the same label

• Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

pretty sure you said tackles but whatever, I was referring in the former half to Trenton and in the latter portion to Duane

No we said LT.. Duane is retirement waiting to happen and that's the only reason hes on the market..

You keep proving Good LT are not available in FA all the time.. Because you haven't named 1..

Edited by WOW!!

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

No we said LT.. Duane is retirement waiting to happen and that's the only reason hes on the market..

You keep proving Good LT are not available in FA all the time.. Because you haven't named 1..

Duane brown probably already has a deal in place with a team and I hope it’s the panthers, he’s exactly the kind of player you can find from year to year in free agency. 

Probably a wash. Losing Reddick and not replacing him, even Gilmore, Horn is still really a rookie, CMC is a toss up, DTs are lackluster overall, no LT, one pick in top 3 rounds and above all Darnold is the QB and Rhule is still the HC.

There is better supporting coaching staff no doubt but it’s been said multiple times even by them Rhule still calls the shots. I do not want him picking a QB at 6. But I am ok with a collective FO agreement with a QB at 6. But out FO does NOT run that way.

In any case I think that staff cancels out some of the above-mentioned issues and ultimately more than 5-6 win is really wishful thinking. It just doesn’t make sense, who wouldn’t be surprised if we won 8 or more games next year with Darnold and Rhule leading the charge? Anyone?

Edited by onmyown

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

also lol at using Allen and mahomes as examples

this board had those pegged as guaranteed busts under the same auspice that they have Willis pegged as one.

if Josh Allen and Patrick mahomes were in this class, the same people decrying it as “weak” would still be branding it the same label

If Allen and Mahomes were in this draft they would be in consideration for top 5 picks based on their prospects profiles when they came out... Allen even with his flaws was still considered a top 15 player in his draft.. That is a difference from thos draft where no QB is considered a top 15 player... You need to go back and do your research..

Just now, WOW!! said:

All had way better Physical talent and college tape then any of the QB in this draft?? That is the difference..

Allen’s game tape wasn’t good. Willis has plenty of physical talent. It’s easy to sit back and judge these QBs AFTER they have become successful, but they all had some red flags just landed in good spots (Watson excluded). This class does look weaker than normal, but guaranteeing we will get a top 5 pick to draft a flawless prospect is a bit of a reach IMO. I’d be happy with a top LT as they are hard to come by and this class seems deep there, but that should make us better than last year.

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

Duane brown probably already has a deal in place with a team and I hope it’s the panthers, he’s exactly the kind of player you can find from year to year in free agency. 

And Hes 37 years old by the start of the season..  Do you not see correlation here??

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

If Allen and Mahomes were in this draft they would be in consideration for top 5 picks based on their prospects profiles when they came out... Allen even with his flaws was still considered a top 15 player in his draft.. That is a difference from thos draft where no QB is considered a top 15 player... You need to go back and do your research..

*fast forward*

Willis and Corral were in contention for Top 5 picks when they came out, do your research! Need to lock down that right side! Only a few more tackles away from glory!”

tradition at this point

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1