• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

USFL

MickMixon'sMetaphors

I had NO idea that there was a such thing as the USFL going on right now.  I happened to see what looked like a professional football game on TV at a restaurant and thought "replay of old NFL game?".  Took a closer look and it's actually a league.  I'm just kinda shocked that it exists and is playing.  Also curious how this will work with the XFL v3 kicking off in 2023.  If either league has a chance, I would think they would have to merge the two.

Anybody caught any of the USFL games?  Thoughts?

USFL is doing an abysmal job promoting itself!

The XFL came out with great fanfare (for a startup league) and actually did a very admirable job building up some hype. I knew DC had a team. I knew when we were playing. I knew who the players were. And I actually made a point to go watch a couple games at a rooftop bar, where I no-poo saw someone wearing a DC Defenders shirt.

They had the rotten luck of launching right before the pandemic, but honestly I felt like it might have actually caught on.

The USFL in stark contrast, I don't begrudge anyone for not realizing it's already several weeks into the season. I'm not sure it'll finish out its inaugural season before shuttering.

• Pie 1

100% agree on ALL points. 

I was excited about the XFL.  I knew it was coming and was interested.  I ended up watching quite a few games on TV and they were fun to watch (the interviews, the beer snake, etc..).  I was going to get some tickets at some point and take my kids who have never seen a professional football game.  The ticket prices were affordable.  Like you, I felt the XML might just catch on!  Really unfortunate for them on the timing.  Maybe it was a blessing in disguise as I do feel the new XFL ownership is going to be a better ownership group than prior and it gave them time to really be retrospective on what worked and what didn't in their first rebooted season.

USFL?  Yeah, I don't see it lasting.  I haven't researched the investors in that league, but seems the return outcome would have been very obvious.

I keep up with the news of it.  It's interesting, but it's just like the XFL and AAF.  Basically the same players and same level of play.

It's entertaining, which is good for me!  Will it last?  Who knows?  I know they are doing what they can to cut costs by playing in Birmingham this season.  I'd love to see it be a place where NFL talent can develop and move up and down as necessary.  Or even become it's own niche spring league.

• Pie 1

All I know is The Rock now owns XFL, and that guy is no fool with his money. And he very publicly made a "partnership" with the NFL. Really, it seems like it's in name only; some BS explanation, "The partnership with the NFL does not involve games or teams specifically but is an agreement to work together in studying the game of football and collaborating on “forward-thinking physical and mental fitness programs for players.'"

But regardless, NFL is the 800 pound professional football gorilla in the room, and it's very smart on his part to have XFL and NFL co-branded in ANY capacity if you want to see your league survive. I truly believe the resurgent XFL has a shot.

I've seen 3-4 games... kind of. Had the TV tuned in while I was doing other things, but it's like watching early training camp before the first round of cuts. Especially on the WR/TE side, where you might see more dropped passes in one game than you'll see all season with any NFL team.

Other than that it's a little entertaining- the mikes pick up everything and you can listen to the radio calls between bench and players.

It's okay...

• Pie 1