• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Matt Corral the Target or a Panic Pick?

chknwing

Just now, Snake said:

Having a quality FO will do that. I'm not sure we have ever had better to be honest. Still Rhule has to coach right for it to work. 

We've never had great coaching here, maybe Foxy was, but Hurney was an anchor...but we have consistently had bad front offices.  Being the best in this teams history isn't saying much, but I sure do appreciate it.

The Teddy, Sam, CJ Henderson, CMC extension, Gilmore trade Robby extension, etc. etc. etc....we just seem to make stupid decisions, but man, this feels much smarter and calculated.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep and unlike the past two debacles we didn’t throw away $31M in cap plus a comp 3rd or $24M in cap and a very early 2nd, very early 4th and a 6th for two guys everyone knew had very limited ceilings. 

Accurate.

If this thing clicks for Corral...this could be a wild ride.  This guy has legit arm talent, and we are building a very strong defense and seemingly a strong run game.  Sounds like Seattle 10 years ago.

I'm stoked.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, the draft value of a future 3rd and pick 137 isn’t close to a mid 2nd. We gave up more like mid 3rd round value for a late 3rd round pick. That’s great value if we really like him that much. I really hope he works out because that would make up for the disasters of picks and cap space for Sam and Teddy.

I did value the future conservatively by assuming we come in 32nd next year, maximizing the value of the future pick. 

a 2023 pick 65 at 265 points
and a 2022 pic 137 at  37.5 points.

For a total of  302.5 draft point 59-60... mid-late second round.

Most like to value that future pick with the lowest value to adjust for the time you don't have the player.  Its true that the  2023 picks value drops to 116 using this method, resulting in a total draft value 153.5 that we paid for Corral,  which is equivalent to pick 87-88, in the bottom half of the 3rd. 

Either way, where we picked him, even with the additional traded future pick, was cheaper than what the "draft experts" valued him, which ranged as high as pick 21 and as low as pick 53, with the average being 38.7

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Matt-Corral-QB-OleMiss

Corrall has a lot of very good traits that would be easy to build around and would produce some exciting football. He's a guy you HAVE to build your offense around, though, rather than a guy you could plop in any system and have them excel. And that's fine, because you should be able to and should be building the offense around the QB you are hoping to be your guy for years.

32 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Corrall has a lot of very good traits that would be easy to build around and would produce some exciting football. He's a guy you HAVE to build your offense around, though, rather than a guy you could plop in any system and have them excel. And that's fine, because you should be able to and should be building the offense around the QB you are hoping to be your guy for years.

By all accounts, that's what Fitterer wants to do, so...

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

By all accounts, that's what Fitterer wants to do, so...

I hope they do it and I hope they don't wait too long to get him in there. But build your offense around his traits, whether he's starting or not. You know the direction you want to go, so just build it.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

We've never had great coaching here, maybe Foxy was, but Hurney was an anchor...but we have consistently had bad front offices.  Being the best in this teams history isn't saying much, but I sure do appreciate it.

The Teddy, Sam, CJ Henderson, CMC extension, Gilmore trade Robby extension, etc. etc. etc....we just seem to make stupid decisions, but man, this feels much smarter and calculated.

This is all Rhule done and Teppers approved. I highly doubt Fit or Morgan would have chosen all those trades.