• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Matt Corral the Target or a Panic Pick?

chknwing

They said they had him rated as their top QB and they weren't alone in that rating.  In the end we spent the draft equivalent of a mid-2nd round pick on what some rated as a lower first rounder and the top QB in the draft with the highest up side.   We'll see if he's worth it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I dont think we'll ever really know the truth. They're going to spin it as if they got their guy. Its likely that the coaches were split on who ranked where. My concerns about Matt Corral are his inaccuracy with the deep ball and his small frame. But we took him in the 3rd. It hardly cost us anything.We didnt reach panic. We got an Elite tackle. And Baker Mayfield is likely NOT coming now. There's cap money to address other needs and this team is still very young. Getting Malik would have been Magical... but this front office hasn't done much to deserve that kind of good favor.  

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

They way I was looking at it, and I assume Fitterer too, was he could relax until Willis went off the board and then he’d need to start trying to move up because Corral was going to be the next one gone and that’s who he wanted. So not a panic, just waiting for the opportune moment to strike. 

• Pie 3

Apparently we tried to get back in the draft sometime in the second but thought the price was too high. As the QBs fell we kept monitoring it and looking for trade partners. Finally the cost was reasonable so we found our partner and made the pick. Instead of panic buying it was just the opposite. We kept monitoring and trying to balance cost of moving up versus not jeopardizing next year by giving up a 1 or 2.  Fitterer had few picks but obviously maximized his haul. Anyone who thinks we did anything besides a  great job doesn't have a clue about drafting.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

55 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We can call him Golden Corral immediately. @Vergestated for a while that we were very high on Corral and had a first round grade on him so I believe it. We had a dream scenario getting Icky, and for us to not have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick and to come away with Corral is a fantastic scenario. 

Is a fantastic scenario IF you have faith in the team's talent evaluation prowess. At this point, I think that's a very debatable point, however it does seem likely that things fell very much to their liking. I for one am just thrilled we finally invested in the OL in round one for the first time since Moses led his people out of Egpyt.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We can call him Golden Corral immediately. @Vergestated for a while that we were very high on Corral and had a first round grade on him so I believe it. We had a dream scenario getting Icky, and for us to not have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick and to come away with Corral is a fantastic scenario. 

I think Pickett and Corral were the ones that were first round grades.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

After Ridder and Willis was taken, Carolina pulled the trigger on the trade.  Did they panic pick a qb?  And when can we call him Golden Corral?

I'm pretty sure they liked Corral the entire time.  I had always kind of heard them tied to liking Pickett and Corral as basically 1a and 1b.

I think that he was our target, and have hinted as much for weeks. And, I am also happy to say that in no way was it a "panic pick" because the FO exercised an extreme amount of patience before moving, and they moved when Corral became a value pick--when we didn't have to give up a first or second round pick to obtain him (which was what I thought that they should do the longer that he stayed on the board). 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2