• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

West coast offense on the East coast

Jmac

9 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

I thought Darnold has a quick release and the ability to make those quick reads. Brady's offense required time, time we didn't have with the offensive line and CMC hurt.

Darnold does have a quick release, and he if the first read is open, he can operate like an NFL quarterback...it's when he has to think...that's when it all falls apart.

I see Sam likely starting the season, but wouldn't be surprised at all, if Corral is the starter 8 games in.

21 hours ago, Jmac said:

Question for all the Football geeks out there. The west coast offense requires a quick release and quick decision making. Darnold has neither quality. Assuming he is the starter, they will play a more conventional offense.

If he shats the bed midway through the season and they put Corral in, how long will it take to switch to a west coast/hybrid offense? Do we have the personal on the offense to play that game? Will thay have to redo the playbook to accommodate the system?

Darnold can play, so long as CMC is out there, and we keep it simple.  Meaning, we run the ball, do a lot of quick hit passes, and play good defense.  Operate like NE did when Brady was young...you can win like that, but typically only if you have a very smart head coach who almost never makes mistakes.........

If CMC is out, and we are counting on Sam to score more than 21/23 points per game...we will be in trouble.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Darnold does have a quick release, and he if the first read is open, he can operate like an NFL quarterback...it's when he has to think...that's when it all falls apart.

I see Sam likely starting the season, but wouldn't be surprised at all, if Corral is the starter 8 games in.

yeah, i think they'll give sammy a chance (which they should just roll with whoever shows themselves to have command of the offense and steps up as a leader in TC and in preseason games), but sammy will probably get a few games to see if he can do better with an improved OL and OC calling the shots.

but i'm also hoping they have a really critical eye and keep sammy on a short leash. he shows the first sign of seeing ghosts or skittishness and we yank him out and put Corral in.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Pakmeng said:

Maybe but what are you basing this off genuinev anslysis? Did you watch him play extensively? Or are you being a pessimist?

Being a back up at the pro level isn’t a bad thing. 

backup - corral > PJ 

10 hours ago, trucpfan said:

Lol based off what? Or that’s just a feeling you have? Based off Chris Simms qb evaluation over the last four years he’s been very accurate with his assessments. It SEEMS like Corral has the tools to be a excellent starter will our coaching staff actually coach him up  to his potential is my question.

It’s my contribution to the thread. Sorry if you’re upset with it. It’s just my opinion on having watched the player. Didn’t mean to upset you or anyone else

if he’s a capable backup I think it’s a win for the org

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

yeah, i think they'll give sammy a chance (which they should just roll with whoever shows themselves to have command of the offense and steps up as a leader in TC and in preseason games), but sammy will probably get a few games to see if he can do better with an improved OL and OC calling the shots.

but i'm also hoping they have a really critical eye and keep sammy on a short leash. he shows the first sign of seeing ghosts or skittishness and we yank him out and put Corral in.

I think you put Corral in as soon as he knows enough of the playbook to not be limited. We already know who Sam is, we need to know about Matt before next years draft. 

Hopefully Fitt plays on how fast Wilson started even though they had just signed Flynn. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Rubi said:

It’s my contribution to the thread. Sorry if you’re upset with it. It’s just my opinion on having watched the player. Didn’t mean to upset you or anyone else

if he’s a capable backup I think it’s a win for the org

Getting a capable backup at 94 would be considered a win. Getting a capable starter at 94 is a GD steal. I think that we very likely ended up with the latter,  based on Simms' and others' evaluations, but we shall see. I whole-heartedly admit that I have never watched an Ole Miss game.

22 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

McAdoo will, IMO, install his offense and expect Darnold to execute it.   If he can't than Corral should be given the opportunity to do it.   I do not see us using an offense just so Darnold can start.

The offense, as I understand it, is a run first offense and should take a lot of pressure off the QB.  If Darnold can execute it there really isn't a decision to make.  

Corral is the man. 

All valid...

Darnold's skill set actually fits a WCO scheme pretty well.

His performance? Well... 😕

54 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I think you put Corral in as soon as he knows enough of the playbook to not be limited. We already know who Sam is, we need to know about Matt before next years draft. 

Hopefully Fitt plays on how fast Wilson started even though they had just signed Flynn. 

some will ask, "are you saying that Corral is as good as Wilson? Is that why he should start as a rookie?" but Seattle didn't know how good Wilson was until they put him on the field. We aren't going to know what he can handle unless they give him something to handle. Put him in and see what we've got. Like you said...we already know how sammy is when the pressure is on. Everything has to be ideal for him to do well. Nothing stays ideal for long.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

some will ask, "are you saying that Corral is as good as Wilson? Is that why he should start as a rookie?" but Seattle didn't know how good Wilson was until they put him on the field. We aren't going to know what he can handle unless they give him something to handle. Put him in and see what we've got. Like you said...we already know how sammy is when the pressure is on. Everything has to be ideal for him to do well. Nothing stays ideal for long.

Before someone asks that, I am not comparing their talent levels, just the situation. 

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, rayzor said:

I kinda disagree with this small portion....

I think a lot of teams knew that Russ could play, and play at a high level..we just didn't have nearly as many GM's that were able to see it all.  Most still want the 6'4" guy...and all did back then, and couldn't get past it.

Dude played a TON in college, won a ton, was an A+ athlete, and was clean off the field...was just short.  Too short for many to look past it.

That said, I don't think that we got a Russell 2.0.  I think it's closer to Russell .75, and we need to coach him up.

• Pie 1