• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben McAdoo Presser

Mr. Scot

33 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am an almost 30 year veteran of the internet. I saw its beginnings and what it has become. 

There are still places that are all sunshine and rainbows but most of them aren't in the sports forums. 

I also remember plenty of bitching about sports and nastiness in the mid to late 90's, as well. It is worse but I don't think it is dramatically worse. It just feels that way.

The rise of sports talk guys like Jim Rome didn't help matters.

• Beer 2

19 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....there is literally a poll in here now showing the discontent. 

This place is gonna do it's thing. Rhule and Tepper are going to take shots because....well....they deserve it. They are the reason we are eating these poo sandwiches.

I think one of the problems is that there is so much higher of an intolerance for positivity than there is negativity.  Continuously trash the team/organization several times a day and you'll maybe get 2-3 posters who feel strongly enough to make some snarky comment about your persistent negativity.  But make one little comment like "I think Sam Darnold might finally make some strides this year behind a solid o-line" and watch how many people will gang up and jump down that dude's throat and practically bully him off the message boards lol.  Yes, pessimism is a rational and justified outcome based on the state of the Panthers' franchise for the past several years, but there's no need to drag people down into the mud who choose to adopt an optimistic outlook. 

Granted, both sides should stop imposing their outlook on others which is why I think it's silly to just be outright anti-criticism.  I just think that's such a tiny minority on these boards with that opinion, which makes it so weird that they are constantly talked about so much.  Meanwhile the doomers act like they're some kind of marginalized oppressed group trying to be censored and silenced when they're by far the majority, and even fill prominent moderator roles here.  I think "toxic positivity" and "toxic negativity" are both very real things on these boards.  The thing is, toxic positivity accounts for maybe 1-5% of posts/posters here while toxic negativity accounts for upwards of 30-40% of posts/posters here and yet people are quick to cry "both sides" like they are equally destructive.

Both groups co-existing not only should happen, but needs to happen for the sake of interesting discourse.  But the discourse has basically devolved into "StOp BeInG nEgAtIvE" vs. "QuIt BeInG a DuMb HoMeR" which you can pretty much reduce to "stop whining" vs. "stop whining".  There are very few actual substantive arguments taking place here anymore and that's a symptom of the disease.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

But make one little comment like "I think Sam Darnold might finally make some strides this year behind a solid o-line" and watch how many people will gang up and jump down that dude's throat and practically bully him off the message boards lol. 

Yeah it's weird how almost nobody wants to hear about the statistical worst starting quarterback of the last several years finally turning the corner anymore. You're truly fighting for the common folk here what a sacrifice thank you for your service.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, frankw said:

Yeah it's weird how almost nobody wants to hear about the statistical worst starting quarterback of the last several years finally turning the corner anymore. You're truly fighting for the common folk here what a sacrifice thank you for your service.

Lol so not just making a comment about Sam Darnold making strides, but making a comment about a theoretical comment about Sam Darnold making strides is enough to rile people up. I just tossed up the alley-oop and you slammed that bad boy home for me. Thanks for the assist.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Lol so not just making a comment about Sam Darnold making strides, but making a comment about a theoretical comment about Sam Darnold making strides is enough to rile people up. I just tossed up the alley-oop and you slammed that bad boy home for me. Thanks for the assist.

I mean, most people are rightfully salty because he is the worst QB we have had in a stretch of pretty bad QB's. We also traded a king's ransom of picks(relatively speaking) for a guy that wasn't even worth a 7th rounder.

But, I was against the move from day one because he was so CLEARLY a terrible QB from his time in NY. 

I have never been able to fathom why people look at him and have hope. He is the classic example of a guy that simply cannot process anything he sees on the field. It isn't rare to see but it's normally guys you draft late that don't make a roster, not top 5 overall picks.

Also, he is far from the most hated Panthers in history. We've had some real doozies in that category.

• Beer 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, kungfoodude said:

The message board you have invented in your head doesn't exist in any successful form at all. If you only want positivity with a franchise mired in the failures that ours is currently experiencing, there would literally be about 100 people here and maybe 10 active users.

It's normal for people to not like to eat poo. It's pretty abnormal for people to eat poo and smile while they talk about how much better this poo is than they expected.

Complaining follows failures. It evaporates relatively quickly when winning starts.

I think @Basbearis referring to proportionality.  The level of vitriol here is not in line with the situation.  We under performed by 2 games last year after a rash of injuries in the 2nd year of an absolute total rebuild.   Were people expecting the playoffs? 

We knew Teddy wasn't it so we took another swing and miss at QB.  Yes we overpaid for Sam but it didn't break the bank.  We were able to draft a franchise LT and another, hopefully better, swing at QB.

When you look at the amount of change: the OL,  OL-coach, OC, RB, punter, punt returner, special teams coach, DB coach, DL coach...

Many huddlers said no good players and no good coaches would want to come here. 
They were flat out wrong.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I think @Basbearis referring to proportionality.  The level of vitriol here is not in line with the situation.  We under performed by 2 games last year after a rash of injuries in the 2nd year of an absolute total rebuild.   Were people expecting the playoffs? 

We knew Teddy wasn't it so we took another swing and miss at QB.  Yes we overpaid for Sam but it didn't break the bank.  We were able to draft a franchise LT and another, hopefully better, swing at QB.

When you look at the amount of change: the OL,  OL-coach, OC, RB, punter, punt returner, special teams coach, DB coach, DL coach...

Many huddlers said no good players and no good coaches would want to come here. 
They were flat out wrong.

You are aware we are in a stretch of four straight losing seasons with 7 different starting QB's, right? With two different head coaches, 4 different OC's(now five), 2 different GM's? And that one more losing season will set a franchise futility record? 

Here is what I will say, if you believe what you are saying, there should be zero excuse for not making the playoffs and having a winning record this year. Because what you are selling is that we had a great offseason by adding all the talent necessary and finally have the coaches to get it done. That's what you are telling me, right?

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are aware we are in a stretch of four straight losing seasons with 7 different starting QB's, right? With two different head coaches, 4 different OC's(now five), 2 different GM's? And that one more losing season will set a franchise futility record? 

Here is what I will say, if you believe what you are saying, there should be zero excuse for not making the playoffs and having a winning record this year. Because what you are selling is that we had a great offseason by adding all the talent necessary and finally have the coaches to get it done. That's what you are telling me, right?

Rhule wasn't here 4 years ago, he's had 2 seasons.  Most of the vitriol is pointed at him.

Was Tepper supposed to clean house and fire RR,Hurney, or Cam when he bought the team in May of 2018?  We had just been to the playoffs in 2017.  Cam went down in 2018 so he gave them a mulligan.  After 2019, he pulled the plug.

As for this season, I never said that we added "all the talent necessary and finally have the coaches to get it done."        I said Huddlers predicted that no talent would want to come here.  They were wrong.

As for this year I think we are going to do much better than what many huddlers predict.  How many times have people predicted we're in line for a top pick 2023? 

We under-performed by 2 games last year, we will overperform by 2 games this year.  We're looking at a 7-10 season.  If we stay healthy, you can add a win or two on there, but we don't seem to stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I said Huddlers predicted that no talent would want to come here.  They were wrong.

Name this talent.

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

As for this year I think we are going to do much better than what many huddlers predict.  How many times have people predicted we're in line for a top pick 2023? 

We under-performed by 2 games last year, we will overperform by 2 games this year.  We're looking at a 7-10 season.  If we stay healthy, you can add a win or two on there, but we don't seem to stay healthy.

So your idea of progress is 7 wins? I am on record as seeing us in the 3-6 win range. So are we both now pessimists or optimists?

You actually think Matt Rhule would survive a 7 win season? I don't.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Name this talent.

So your idea of progress is 7 wins? I am on record as seeing us in the 3-6 win range. So are we both now pessimists or optimists?

Hekker, Corbett, Bozeman,  Roberts, Foreman
Tabor, Wilks, Campen, and yes McAdoo.
These are good acquisitions. 

Context is important.   If we stay healthy and land at 7 wins, Rhule will be gone.  If Ikey and Burns go down in game 3 for the season, and we land at 7, Rhule will stay. 

You seem very confident that Rhule is gone at the end of the season.  I'm willing to bet Avatar for Avatar with odds.  I choose your avatar for month.  You can choose my avatar for 3 months.  Matt Rhule is HC of the panthers for the 2023 season.

• Beer 1

45 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Hekker, Corbett, Bozeman,  Roberts, Foreman
Tabor, Wilks, Campen, and yes McAdoo.
These are good acquisitions. 

Come on, man. You cannot be serious. Hekker is a great land but the rest are mid-level or backup level players. If you consider that "talent" I don't know what to say. As for the coaches, it's largely guys that are castoffs after unsuccessful last stints(outside Wilks). 

You are welcome to see what you want to see but if that makes you think we are an attractive free agent destination.....ooh wee mayne. I guess last offseason was unbelievable and the season before was unfathomable. 

Context is important.   If we stay healthy and land at 7 wins, Rhule will be gone.  If Ikey and Burns go down in game 3 for the season, and we land at 7, Rhule will stay. 

You seem very confident that Rhule is gone at the end of the season.  I'm willing to bet Avatar for Avatar with odds.  I choose your avatar for month.  You can choose my avatar for 3 months.  Matt Rhule is HC of the panthers for the 2023 season.

I wouldn't make that bet because I also think Tepper is a complete moron. He might keep Rhule if he wins 2 games in 2022. So, in reality, I don't actually think Rhule will get fired if he only wins 7 games. I HOPE he would get fired but since he didn't get fired after two straight 5 win seasons, I can't bank on anything intelligent being done on the head coaching front. Especially when you consider he didn't immediately fire Marty Hurney.

31 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Come on, man. You cannot be serious. Hekker is a great land but the rest are mid-level or backup level players. If you consider that "talent" I don't know what to say. As for the coaches, it's largely guys that are castoffs after unsuccessful last stints(outside Wilks). 

You are welcome to see what you want to see but if that makes you think we are an attractive free agent destination.....ooh wee mayne. I guess last offseason was unbelievable and the season before was unfathomable. 

I wouldn't make that bet because I also think Tepper is a complete moron. He might keep Rhule if he wins 2 games in 2022. So, in reality, I don't actually think Rhule will get fired if he only wins 7 games. I HOPE he would get fired but since he didn't get fired after two straight 5 win seasons, I can't bank on anything intelligent being done on the head coaching front. Especially when you consider he didn't immediately fire Marty Hurney.

Ok that's a swing from

to

So, in reality, I don't actually think Rhule will get fired if he only wins 7 games.

In the next post.

I wouldn't say that Hekker,  Bozeman,  Roberts, Foreman, Tabor, and Wilks  just came off unsuccessful stints.  Bozeman had a 73.3 pff last year, Roberts was 3x pro bowl in last 4 years, Foreman did just fine filling in for Henry, Tabor's  Bears  ranked seventh in special teams EPA and DVOA,  and we know Wilks is a good DB coach.

Edited by poundaway

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Ok that's a swing from

to

So, in reality, I don't actually think Rhule will get fired if he only wins 7 games.

In the next post.

I wouldn't say that Hekker,  Bozeman,  Roberts, Foreman, Tabor, and Wilks  just came off unsuccessful stints.  Bozeman had a 73.3 pff last year, Roberts was 3x pro bowl in last 4 years, Foreman did just fine filling in for Henry, Tabor's  Bears  ranked seventh in special teams EPA and DVOA,  and we know Wilks is a good DB coach.

I mean, I would think compiling the worst winning percentage in franchise history through three seasons SHOULD be a fireable offense but then again this is the same dude that said Marty Hurney was a great evaluator. 

I backpedaled because I was really interjecting what I want to happen rather than what I believe will happen.

For the unsuccessful stints portion, you need to go back and re-read what I said.