• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN "Future" Power Rankings/Ratings

kungfoodude

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Most of those guys aren't starters, though. Still, if we out a comprehensive lost up, I bet most would rate him higher than 28. Maybe that would be an interesting thread. Put up a list of the starting QB's(with the open jobs grouped as a unit) and see where Huddlers rank him.

What do you mean?  Almost all of them are slated to be their teams starter this year, with the exception of one of Smith/Lock and Darnold...

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Trubisky and Jimmy G aren't starters. Mariota is not a lock as a starter.

Trubisky is definitely the starter, at least at the beginning.  Jimmy's not, but I'm pretty sure they plan on starting Mariota also at least at the beginning of the year.  I dont think Riddler is going to be ready by Week 1. 

16 minutes ago, joemac said:

Trubisky is definitely the starter, at least at the beginning.  Jimmy's not, but I'm pretty sure they plan on starting Mariota also at least at the beginning of the year.  I dont think Riddler is going to be ready by Week 1. 

I forgot that Trubisky wasn't on the Bills anymore.

He might be a starter. I guess it depends on the progress of Pickett.

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Just off the top of my head, I think hes better than Geno Smith/Drew Lock, Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, Mac Jones, Davis Mills, Daniel Jones, Marcus Marriota, Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky, Zach Wilson, Jimmy G, Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence.  I put him in the Jalen Hurts/Tua/Tannehill/Matt Ryan tier. Middle of the pack, IMO. 

So hes basically the best smelling turd in the toilet. 

All these guys are either very young or their teams are actively looking to upgrade from them. 

Even with Hurts and Tua they are fighting for their future as the starters of their teams. 

Even with that Baker can be our 3rd best QB to play in Carolina because we have had such garbage at the position over the years.

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

Just now, PootieNunu said:

So hes basically the best smelling turd in the toilet. 

All these guys are either very young or their teams are actively looking to upgrade from them. 

Even with Hurts and Tua they are fighting for their future as the starters of their teams. 

Realistically hes probably the 18-20th best starting QB in the NFL right now.  Better than we've had recently...

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Realistically hes probably the 18-20th best starting QB in the NFL right now.  Better than we've had recently...

I think that is realistic.  A fair assessment of our roster talent is probably in the 20-ish range.  It could be higher, we just have a lot of question marks of people who under-performed last year or are plain unknowns.  We have some holes that those people may fill either well.....or not.

All of those things could be do to a coach who is ranked 36th in a 32 team league.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I think that is realistic.  A fair assessment of our roster talent is probably in the 20-ish range.  It could be higher, we just have a lot of question marks of people who under-performed last year or are plain unknowns.  We have some holes that those people may fill either well.....or not.

All of those things could be do to a coach who is ranked 36th in a 32 team league.

And that is being generous. I am sure there are several OC/DC we would all rather have over Rhule. I am sure he is further down than 36. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I forgot that Trubisky wasn't on the Bills anymore.

He might be a starter. I guess it depends on the progress of Pickett.

Whoever the respective starter is in Pittsburgh/SF/Atlanta, Mayfield (as of right now) should be considered better than them.  So joemac's original point would still stand, which is evaluating Mayfield against the rest of the league's starters.  Things could very well change by the end of the year though; it's contingent upon the development of a lot of these young QBs (Lance, Fields, Lawrence, Wilson, Pickett, etc.).

On that point, this article seems to be projecting "future" power rankings and upon looking up the article itself on ESPN, it's stated that this is a projection over the next three seasons.  So I'm guessing they have most (if not all) of these young first/second-year QBs as ranked higher than Baker since they expect them to surpass him within the next 3 years.  So viewing this article as saying Baker is currently the 28th best QB in the league isn't really what this article seems to be suggesting.  It's saying we have the 28th best outlook at QB over the next three seasons which is probably fair.  We don't even know that Baker is gonna be here beyond this season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

For sure, i just dont know if he is good enough to make a difference. 

Well, you might be able to say that about some top 12 guys too. That remains to be seen.

It's possible that our situation is bad enough that very few QB's could drag us to contender status. 

If next season is the same disaster we have seen under the current staff, I would tend to lean that way.

• Pie 2