• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 33rd Team: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

But he didn't double down on Hurney like he's done with Rhule.  He's either lying or he's seriously going to give him 4 season's and quite possibly 5 to get this right.  Not my words but Teppers. 

I get that those are his words.

I just don't necessarily think his words mean all that much.

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree, but for some reason Rhule seems to be an exception.  He's not wavering on Rhule though, at least not publicly. 

He hadn't wavered on Marty either though.

The thing is, I'm not convinced Tepper actually has a long-term plan of his own.

Like the GM that he formerly had faith in, I don't know that he's capable of thinking that far ahead in football terms.

It's evidenced by the reality that, as more than one analyst has pointed out, despite talking about Rome not being built in a day, he keeps making moves geared toward trying to build it in a day.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 3

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He hadn't wavered on Marty either though.

The thing is, I'm not convinced Tepper actually has a long-term plan of his own.

Like the GM that he formerly had faith in, I don't know that he's capable of thinking that far ahead in football terms.

It's evidenced by the reality that, as more than one analyst has pointed out, despite talking about Rome not being built in a day, he keeps making moves geared toward trying to build it in a day.

Again, I agree with you on all of that. But with Rhule I think he sticks to his guns for another season regardless of record.  If Baker gets them to .500 Rhule will get 2 more seasons at least. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Rhule will get a 4th year. Tepper said as much in his presser, unless he was flat out lying. He even said he may give him 5 regardless of record.  I am just not buying he's in any danger of losing his job this season or anytime soon. 

I believe he'll be here until at least some time during the 2023 season (if not all of it). I'm not gonna be fooled by media narratives again, especially The 33rd Team. Now maybe The 34th Team can change my mind...😂

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The Hurney and Rhule comparisons are a stretch.  Hurney was at the end of his contract and Rhule isn't even close.  The fan/media pressure to remove Hurney was nothing like the vitriol directed at Rhule.  Although Tepper paid Hurney a compliment one time, Hurney was a holdover from the previous owner, whereas Rhule is Tepper's guy.  Tepper even said that Hurney had to go because of disagreements with Rhule.

In the end Tepper is far more invested in Rhule than he was with Hurney and is taking a LOT more heat to keep him. 

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, poundaway said:

The Hurney and Rhule comparisons are a stretch.  Hurney was at the end of his contract and Rhule isn't even close.  The fan/media pressure to remove Hurney was nothing like the vitriol directed at Rhule.  Although Tepper paid Hurney a compliment one time, Hurney was a holdover from the previous owner, whereas Rhule is Tepper's guy.  Tepper even said that Hurney had to go because of disagreements with Rhule.

In the end Tepper is far more invested in Rhule than he was with Hurney and is taking a LOT more heat to keep him. 

Good points that I didn't even consider. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Rhule will get a 4th year. Tepper said as much in his presser, unless he was flat out lying. He even said he may give him 5 regardless of record.  I am just not buying he's in any danger of losing his job this season or anytime soon. 

He’s not in danger and anyone that thinks he is is living in fantasy land. Tepper is a clown owner.  

Edited by ickmule