• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule hate....

tarheelfan23

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

@poundaway

That is verbatim. Now read again. I highlighted the subject for you. Do your own research.

Quiz: Who is "them" referring to?

Do you see anything about SB contenders in there as the subject?

Looking forward to your next CYA post

...and you're still wrong even with the SB champion requirement.

Weeb Ewbank
Tom Landryx4
Chuck Nollx4
Bill Walshx3
Mike Ditka
Jimmy Johnsonx2
Dick Vermeil
Bill Belichickx6
Sean Payton
Mike McCarthy
Pete Carrol

Those coaches had 2 or more losing seasons before they were in the SB.  2 of them had 8-8 seasons, which is not a winning season so I included them.  That doesn't include coaches who had 2 or more losing seasons at a different team before they reached the SB.

This list covers 25 SBs.  45% of all SB have been won by a coach who had 2 losing seasons before he was in the SB with that team.  The % is even higher if you include coaches who had 2 losing seasons before they were fired somewhere else.

Your statement is still false, SB champion included.

Now with that said, Rhule's record sucks and he has performed horribly.  We're stuck him for now. 

Edited by poundaway

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Optimism is a great way to go through life.

It's also the facilitator of a lot of bad decisions.

Keeping a bad player like Sam Darnold or Cam Erving because they might get better next year would be a really bad idea.

The same applies to bad coaches.

As long as you know you have a bad coach. I haven't reached that conclusion yet. I'm not saying he's good nor bad. I know last season's offensive collapse was hard. It was hard for me too but Brady sucked. We all can agree on that. That's on Matt maybe. I don't know. It's very possible. But he admitted his mistake and made a change. 

One could say that his timing was terrible and a sign of an idiot, or one could say that maybe it wasn't his decision and he had to convince someone, orrrr, someone else made the decision and it had nothing to do with Rhule. 

I have no idea. But I do know that I feel more confident with what we have this season compared to any other season recently.

I never like Baker honestly. But I thought he was a good QB who needed time to grow and he was at Cleveland. Cleveland eats young QBs. But He did pretty well considering all the mess that is Cleveland. 

But after watching him lately, I see someone different. He looks different. He's intense. He looks focused. I still can't say that I like him yet but I can say I'm starting to believe in him. He's starting to look like guy that be your guy.

I saw an interview talking about the pay cut and he said he isn't in it for the money. He's in it for the love of the game. That interview changed my opinion of him because I know it's at least partially true. He took the pay cut for sure. His motivations I believe him but only he knows everything. 

8 hours ago, poundaway said:

...and you're still wrong even with the SB champion requirement.

Weeb Ewbank
Tom Landryx4
Chuck Nollx4
Bill Walshx3
Mike Ditka
Jimmy Johnsonx2
Dick Vermeil
Bill Belichickx6
Sean Payton
Mike McCarthy
Pete Carrol

Those coaches had 2 or more losing seasons before they were in the SB.  2 of them had 8-8 seasons, which is not a winning season so I included them.  That doesn't include coaches who had 2 or more losing seasons at a different team before they reached the SB.

This list covers 25 SBs.  45% of all SB have been won by a coach who had 2 losing seasons before he was in the SB with that team.  The % is even higher if you include coaches who had 2 losing seasons before they were fired somewhere else.

Your statement is still false, SB champion included.

Now with that said, Rhule's record sucks and he has performed horribly.  We're stuck him for now. 

WTH. This is what I said. You completely lose yourself in your typhoon of an argument.

The only exception are coaches who lost in the 60s before modern day free agency and with a 33 round draft like Landry and Ewbank. The handful of coaches are Walsh, Vermeil, Carroll, Belichick, and Johnson. McCarthy, Payton, and Ditka were all 1st time HCs who had their team on contender level by year 2 and eventually won the SB. They were at contender level with winning seasons and then won the SB.

You just supported my argument. You need to go back and reread my post. I've already quoted it for you once before.

Ditka was a first time HC. Had 1 losing season. Was in contention for the SB by year 3.

McCarthy won out of the gate as a first time HC, and had his team in contention by year 2. He had 1 losing season in his first 11 seasons and that was year 3 after going 13-3 in year 2.

Payton was winning in his first season and in contention year 1. He had 1 losing season out of his first 7 seasons in year 2.

An 8-8 season is not a losing season, especially when they turn their team into a contender in the first 3 years. You using that to support your point is ridiculous. At most, you can call that a mulligan season for a coach, and as long as they don't fall down to Rhule level losing seasons or never produce a playoff appearance, then they don't get fired. This never goes down as a losing season in the history books and you counting it as a losing season because it is not a winning season goes to show how desperate you are to prove a non-existent point to cya.

The fact you are holding on to the thinnest straw and a few SB coaches to try to support having a losing coach with little to no hope of every turning it around with the Panthers is desperation. How many SB winning coaches has there been? So, you want to hang your hat on a single coach who started in the 60s like Chuck Noll?

You have proven my point with your flip flop argument.

If Rhule could produce 7 and 8 win seasons in his first 2 years, then he may be worth a 3rd if the season does not result in anything less than 9 wins. You are lucky to get 4 to 5 wins out of Rhule led team, and I'm not going to ever support 6 seasons of that before we hope for a winning season. History does not even support that. The SB winning type coach will always eat Rhule for lunch and his players will have to win in spite of him. Rhule is not even on the same level as Rick Kotite nevermind a Chuck Noll.

I find it amusing that you have to pad and skew your argument to show there are more than a handful of coaches who lose 2 or more seasons to turn their team into a SB team or Dynasty. You pad with 3 coaches who started in the 60s (who I made note of in my original post) and toss in 3 coaches who won out of the gate and had their team as contenders as first time HCs (they did not have 2 losing seasons before they won and were in contention in the NFL). That leaves you with a list of 5 coaches.

Thank you for doing some research and proving my point. Your padding and skewing is obvious.

So, here is your hope. Rhule has put together a SB contender in year 3 and they will dominate the league with 10+ wins. I don't see it on paper and have yet to see it on the field in preseason. Here is to hope!

Those handful of coaches had their HoF QB in year 1 btw. Walsh-Montana, Belichick-Brady, Johnson-Aikman, Vermeil-Warner, and Carroll-Wilson. You seriously think Rhule-Mayfield passes that eye test and will have HoF careers? A miracle Rams season was the Panthers only hope, and the front office screwed that Vermeil formula up in the offseason/draft. These coaches also had a top NFL level defense in place by year 3 that could produce turnovers and stop the run.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:30 PM, tarheelfan23 said:

This has to stop, the guy can coach. End of story.  He had some struggles to start off his NFL career, but really who doesn't?   This is his 3rd year and time to shine, just watch as he takes off and takes this team to a place we have never been.  In 5 years his name will be up there in the top 5 easy if not the best coach in the NFL.  Buckle up and get ready for a wild fun ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

6 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

WTH. This is what I said. You completely lose yourself in your typhoon of an argument.

The only exception are coaches who lost in the 60s before modern day free agency and with a 33 round draft like Landry and Ewbank. The handful of coaches are Walsh, Vermeil, Carroll, Belichick, and Johnson. McCarthy, Payton, and Ditka were all 1st time HCs who had their team on contender level by year 2 and eventually won the SB. They were at contender level with winning seasons and then won the SB.

You just supported my argument. You need to go back and reread my post. I've already quoted it for you once before.

Ditka was a first time HC. Had 1 losing season. Was in contention for the SB by year 3.

McCarthy won out of the gate as a first time HC, and had his team in contention by year 2. He had 1 losing season in his first 11 seasons and that was year 3 after going 13-3 in year 2.

Payton was winning in his first season and in contention year 1. He had 1 losing season out of his first 7 seasons in year 2.

An 8-8 season is not a losing season, especially when they turn their team into a contender in the first 3 years. You using that to support your point is ridiculous. At most, you can call that a mulligan season for a coach, and as long as they don't fall down to Rhule level losing seasons or never produce a playoff appearance, then they don't get fired. This never goes down as a losing season in the history books and you counting it as a losing season because it is not a winning season goes to show how desperate you are to prove a non-existent point to cya.

The fact you are holding on to the thinnest straw and a few SB coaches to try to support having a losing coach with little to no hope of every turning it around with the Panthers is desperation. How many SB winning coaches has there been? So, you want to hang your hat on a single coach who started in the 60s like Chuck Noll?

You have proven my point with your flip flop argument.

If Rhule could produce 7 and 8 win seasons in his first 2 years, then he may be worth a 3rd if the season does not result in anything less than 9 wins. You are lucky to get 4 to 5 wins out of Rhule led team, and I'm not going to ever support 6 seasons of that before we hope for a winning season. History does not even support that. The SB winning type coach will always eat Rhule for lunch and his players will have to win in spite of him. Rhule is not even on the same level as Rick Kotite nevermind a Chuck Noll.

I find it amusing that you have to pad and skew your argument to show there are more than a handful of coaches who lose 2 or more seasons to turn their team into a SB team or Dynasty. You pad with 3 coaches who started in the 60s (who I made note of in my original post) and toss in 3 coaches who won out of the gate and had their team as contenders as first time HCs (they did not have 2 losing seasons before they won and were in contention in the NFL). That leaves you with a list of 5 coaches.

Thank you for doing some research and proving my point. Your padding and skewing is obvious.

So, here is your hope. Rhule has put together a SB contender in year 3 and they will dominate the league with 10+ wins. I don't see it on paper and have yet to see it on the field in preseason. Here is to hope!

Those handful of coaches had their HoF QB in year 1 btw. Walsh-Montana, Belichick-Brady, Johnson-Aikman, Vermeil-Warner, and Carroll-Wilson. You seriously think Rhule-Mayfield passes that eye test and will have HoF careers? A miracle Rams season was the Panthers only hope, and the front office screwed that Vermeil formula up in the offseason/draft. These coaches also had a top NFL level defense in place by year 3 that could produce turnovers and stop the run.

omg There is so much wrong in this post.  Now its just psycho babble.

1) That list is definitely NOT a handful and when you examine further  it is a large proportion of SBs. Removing those with an 8-8 seasons doesn't make it a handful either since those were one time winners.

2)SB contender means they were in the SB.  These guys were NOT in the SB year 2.

Live in your fiction and spread your falsehoods.  Your handful-SB-winner statement is patently FALSE.

The fact of the matter is, it can take more than 2 years to reach the SB and it depends on the learning curve for the coach and starting level of team talent. 

You do not understand cause and effect.

Its not that coaches languish for decades on a team losing year after year trying to reach a SB.  If a coach has a few losing seasons, the team will probably cut them.  That is why the majority of coaches who lose the first couple years don't reach the SB.  Not because they never will. The proof for that is that there are several FIRED coaches who go on to win the SB.  In BB's case, 6 times.

Your fact is made up.  Your premise is wrong.