• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone here built a backyard office/shed?

hepcat

Got a new job that's fully remote, work from home. Wife has given me the blessing to install a backyard office for myself. I've been looking at Tuff Shed's options and have a few designs put together. 

Anyone ever been through the process of getting a site level, getting a shed installed, and finishing it out? Just curious about the process. I've started leveling out my backyard which is on a pretty solid hill, 18in off from the highest to lowest point and that's at my FLATTEST part of my yard. Installing a retaining wall this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

You may want to check with your county and see if you need to get a permit.  They could make your life miserable if you need one and build with out it.

I checked the county laws. Under 200 sq ft, under 15ft tall, no plumbing, 5ft from all property lines, no permit 

• Pie 1

I used to build them with my dad. He'd build the foundation and nail blocks in place to hold the boards for the frame. You could get a kit with the prices precut and do something like that. 

Edit -  by frame I mean he would build 8 or so barn shaped pieces, then stand them up with 16 inch blocks nailed to the bottom. 

Edited by cookinbrak

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're gonna spend a grip of money by the time you buy this shed, wire it up for what you need, add heat and AC, etc. and you're still not going to have any plumbing.

Sure you don't have a spare bedroom to convert into an office?

I agree,  if I'm spending all that money I'm going to have a place to pee. When we redo our pool house I'm going to figure out how to get a bathroom out there

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're gonna spend a grip of money by the time you buy this shed, wire it up for what you need, add heat and AC, etc. and you're still not going to have any plumbing.

Sure you don't have a spare bedroom to convert into an office?

Nah. We’ve got a 3br. Our guest room became baby room this year and our office that we already share is a 9x9 tiny bedroom already. We’ve been balancing sharing the office since COVID started and it was a nightmare without having to have a kid too. The extra space is much needed. 

38 minutes ago, toldozer said:

I agree,  if I'm spending all that money I'm going to have a place to pee. When we redo our pool house I'm going to figure out how to get a bathroom out there

I just really don’t have the space in our yard or the desire to add a bathroom. We had our electrical panel upgraded (honestly just brought up to code from a panel from the 70s) and I had the electrician run a conduit to the backyard where the shed is gonna go. So it’s wired up. Plumbing requires permits and permits require the city to sniff around your business which I’m not a fan of 

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

I used to build them with my dad. He'd build the foundation and nail blocks in place to hold the boards for the frame. You could get a kit with the prices precut and do something like that. 

Edit -  by frame I mean he would build 8 or so barn shaped pieces, then stand them up with 16 inch blocks nailed to the bottom. 

I’m doing the base with crushed gravel per some videos I watched. Leveling out the space has been kind of a bitch. I’ve looked into some kits but the price isn’t that much different than just Tuff Shed doing the whole kit thing for you. And they have a lot of design options too 

8 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

What size are you looking? 8 x 12 would be pretty easy with minimal cutting. I have an 8 x 10 wooden and a 7.5 x 7.5 plastic Craftsman. Craftsman is a year and a half old and all 4 corners have already split.

I’ve set up a 12x14ft base. Probably a 10x12ft. Looking at adding a mini-split for AC and Heat