• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College GameDay coming to Boone

ladypanther

9 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The consensus seems to be that most of the country dug College Gameday.  Corso seemed to be happy and on point as well, and that was heartwarming considering what he's been through.

I haven't been to Boone in ten years, but when they did that shot floating over Sanford Mall it all came rushing back to me.  I felt like I had just been there yesterday and not a decade ago.

It honestly hasn't changed much at all. Mountain towns are generally like that. After the initial development the low hanging fruit is gone and you're talking about taking great efforts to continue to significantly develop the surrounding hillsides.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It honestly hasn't changed much at all. Mountain towns are generally like that. After the initial development the low hanging fruit is gone and you're talking about taking great efforts to continue to significantly develop the surrounding hillsides.

You don't think so? The town has almost completely been rebuilt outside of the historic downtown buildings over the last decade. I don't know if "hasn't changed much at all" is very accurate.

It's crazy how much it's changed in my opinion

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I haven’t been back in over a decade either but my friends that have said it’s much different 

I drive through it every day. Two of my projects are up there, one up 194 between Valle Crucis and Banner Elk and the other off 221 between Boone and Blowing rock.

It's insanely different.

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Floppin said:

You don't think so? The town has almost completely been rebuilt outside of the historic downtown buildings over the last decade. I don't know if "hasn't changed much at all" is very accurate.

It's crazy how much it's changed in my opinion

You're probably right. I honestly don't pay much attention. Towns are generally something I try to avoid. Downtown looks virtually the same to me. That's why I was referring to.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're probably right. I honestly don't pay much attention. Towns are generally something I try to avoid. Downtown looks virtually the same to me. That's why I was referring to.

Well yeah, downtown is historically protected so there's not much they can do but it's still changed a ton. The old Appalachian theater has been completely revamped into a true venue again, and there's a new upscale hotel with rooftop bar called the Horton. Macado's is completely different with an outside bar and seating area that the remodeled/connected from the adjoining space and the old High Country Press building is Lost Province brewing. Among many other changes.

Edited by Floppin

2 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

I always end up at Lost Province. It's run pretty well and has consistsnt and decent food.

It's one of the places that I always visit. The food is always good as well as the beer. That and I went to school with the owners.

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1

Just now, TheRumGone said:

That sucks. That’s where we’d all go for wing night.

I used to go to Parthenon for $.25 wings which also no longer exists.

Most of the places that I used to go to when I lived there don't exist anymore except for Macado's and Boone Saloon and those were the two (especially the saloon) that I went to the least.

Portofino's is also closed/demolished.

1 minute ago, MtnJax said:

Booneshine Brewing in East Boone area is fast becoming a hot spot. Boone Bagelry is still kicking around and one of my favorites for breakfast if I’m in town

Does the bagelry still deliver or has that been relegated to the gig economy? I used to get overstuffed bagelicious delivered as a hangover cure many moons ago.

2 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I used to go to Parthenon for $.25 wings which also no longer exists.

Most of the places that I used to go to when I lived there don't exist anymore except for Macado's and Boone Saloon and those were the two (especially the saloon) that I went to the least.

Portofino's is also closed/demolished.

Damn portofinos was also the spot.