• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you like to see CMC on the Bills?

Jmac

5 hours ago, Jmac said:

Probably just a matter of time before they trade him. He is still a major force and a contender would be crazy not to take a shot.

I will hate to see him go, but his talent is being wasted here (just like Cam). By the time the Panthers become a constant contender he will be worn down to a nub at the rate he is going.

The Bills would be my choice. S.M and Beene have built quite a team. You get a snapshot of what the Panthers could have been.

Bonehead moves have put us behind the eight ball as usual. 

I don’t want to lose him but if he does get traded, going to the Bills would be my choice. He would put up video game numbers on that offense and have a chance to win a superbowl

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

We've only had two backs in our team's history to have multiple 1,000 yard seasons : Christian and DeAngelo. Anthony Johnson (1996), Steve Davis (2003), and Jonathan Stewart (2009) each had one. Stewart almost got there in 2015 but he finished 11 yards short. No other RB's in team history have eclipsed 1,000 yards. Carolina hasn't had a history of elite running backs the past 27 years. McCaffrey is already the 4th leading rusher in team history in his 5th year on the team and he's barely played the past two seasons. The only players with more career rushing yards than him are J.Stewart, D.Williams, and Cam, a QB.

None of the above RB's  ever came close to getting 1,000 yards receiving. Christian isn't the fastest back we've ever had. Nor is he the  the strongest we've ever had. But his is undoubtedly the best all around back in team history. I don't think he is going to be "easy" to replace, especially if you give him away for pennies on the dollar, which IMHO would be anything less than a high 2nd round pick. 

Can we please stop fapping over the 1k/1k season? We won five games and McCaffrey led the league in touches. And every time I bring up McCaffrey's success rate running the ball in the RZ on 3rd and 4th down people scatter immediately. Yes he's got terrific hands he has clear dynamic ability as a WR but as a traditional RB which is what we need it is not going to get it done.

• Poo 1

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the 49ers and Rams have been "implicated" in a potential trade for Christian McCaffrey. 

Fowler also mentioned the Bills as a potential landing spot for McCaffrey, though his contract might be an issue for a Buffalo team that "wants to keep its cap outlook clean for next year due to many top-dollar players on the payroll," per Fowler. The Rams backfield is in flux after the team appeared to part ways with former starter Cam Akers last week. Darrell Henderson worked as LA's lead back in Week 6 against the Panthers. The 49ers are expecting Elijah Mitchell back in the next few weeks after deploying Jeff Wilson as the starter for much of the regular season. The Panthers have been open to trading away CMC since the summer, according to Fowler, who said it would not be a surprise if McCaffrey were dealt before the NFL's November 1 trade deadline. 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the 49ers and Rams have been "implicated" in a potential trade for Christian McCaffrey. 

Fowler also mentioned the Bills as a potential landing spot for McCaffrey, though his contract might be an issue for a Buffalo team that "wants to keep its cap outlook clean for next year due to many top-dollar players on the payroll," per Fowler. The Rams backfield is in flux after the team appeared to part ways with former starter Cam Akers last week. Darrell Henderson worked as LA's lead back in Week 6 against the Panthers. The 49ers are expecting Elijah Mitchell back in the next few weeks after deploying Jeff Wilson as the starter for much of the regular season. The Panthers have been open to trading away CMC since the summer, according to Fowler, who said it would not be a surprise if McCaffrey were dealt before the NFL's November 1 trade deadline. 

The Rams sure as hell don't have the draft picks we'd want, so I wonder what they'd offer.

18 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Whoooo boy this is a tough one for me and I bet for a lot of Panthers fans.

On one hand CMC has been great when he is healthy.  He has been almost all the offense this year, without him our offensive stats would be historically bad.  He would be great for a rookie QB to have and he's a top 3 RB in the NFL.  He could have even better stats in another offensive system.

On the other hand he does have an injury history and he's one play away from having absolutely no value to the Panthers.  His cap hit is also high and if the team considers this a total tear down then I would understand trading him.  If this is the way they go the Panthers do need to set the price high, CMC is performing extremely well and I've said it in another thread he could be the piece to really put a team over the top as extreme favorites to win it all.....I'm looking at you Buffalo.  The Bills beat Kansas City this past weekend, but it could have gone either way.  You insert CMC in there and he becomes an added headache for any D coordinator playing the Bills.

I would ask for a 1st and a 2nd for him from Buffalo (we would have to retain some of his salary).  We are headed towards the #1 pick and that would mean we would have the #1 and very late first round pick from Buffalo, then we'd pick #33 and again somewhere around #62-64.  These picks can be used to address areas of need either by drafting, packaging picks to move up and possibly get 2 players who can help immediately, or trade for a player that we need.

tl,dr:  CMC is valuable whether he stays or is traded.

Every single player now and forever is one play away from having no value due to injury.

That's a dumb reason.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Listen brother I want a first too. But if a team has a chip like that to deal why wouldn’t they either use that to get a younger playmaker with less mileage and injury concerns or sign one of the FA backs in what is going to be one of the best free agent running back groups in years. We hold very little leverage. I would say just keep him for one or two more years but we are now on our third head coach and still the gameplan is "save me CMC here take all the touches". We don't score points with him we don't score points without him. We need a major shift in philosophy.

We need an offensive minded head coach.

Since 1995 we keep hiring defensive minded head coaches who are behind the curve when it comes to the passing game. They want to run the ball, stop the run and play tough defense to keep the games close. Dom Capers, John Fox, and Ron Rivera were practically the same coach. Each got us to NFC title games. Two got us to SB appearances, but none of them could produce back to back winning seasons.

Trading McCaffrey doesn't indicate a shift in philosophy, but hiring an offensive minded HC would be. Ironically, if we did hire a good coach with good offensive mind and acquired a good QB, Christian and DJ...the two players everyone seems to want to trade away...would benefit the most.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

Listen brother I want a first too. But if a team has a chip like that to deal why wouldn’t they either use that to get a younger playmaker with less mileage and injury concerns or sign one of the FA backs in what is going to be one of the best free agent running back groups in years. We hold very little leverage. I would say just keep him for one or two more years but we are now on our third head coach and still the gameplan is "save me CMC here take all the touches". We don't score points with him we don't score points without him. We need a major shift in philosophy.

2 1sts and a 4th minimum or he should stay.

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

We need an offensive minded head coach.

Since 1995 we keep hiring defensive minded head coaches who are behind the curve when it comes to the passing game. They want to run the ball, stop the run and play tough defense to keep the games close. Dom Capers, John Fox, and Ron Rivera were practically the same coach. Each got us to NFC title games. Two got us to SB appearances, but none of them could produce back to back winning seasons.

Trading McCaffrey doesn't indicate a shift in philosophy, but hiring an offensive minded HC would be. Ironically, if we did hire a good coach with good offensive mind and acquired a good QB, Christian and DJ...the two players everyone seems to want to trade away...would benefit the most.

It's a passing league and the coaches who are the best offensive minds can make the RB position plug and play and still get production. Do any of the SB contending teams have a running back top 5 in salary? The only one I see is Joe Mixon with the Bengals. All the other teams have fringe playoff hopes or are already thinking about who they might draft next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/running-back/

6 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Every single player now and forever is one play away from having no value due to injury.

That's a dumb reason.

Thanks for pointing that out! 

I specifically stated that because CMC had been injured the previous two seasons and if the Panthers are really leaning toward a trade then they better get it done; otherwise we are playing with fire.

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Can we please stop fapping over the 1k/1k season? We won five games and McCaffrey led the league in touches. And every time I bring up McCaffrey's success rate running the ball in the RZ on 3rd and 4th down people scatter immediately. Yes he's got terrific hands he has clear dynamic ability as a WR but as a traditional RB which is what we need it is not going to get it done.

You tend to overlook the fact that this team made the playoffs in 2017 when Stewart and McCaffrey were splitting carries. They next year (2018) we were rolling with a 6-2 record before Cam got HURT. The next year (2019) Cam only played two games. The guys who replaced him on the field during those injury plagued season are all backup caliber QB's at best.  Cam was let go and replaced by Teddy Bridgewater prior to the 2020 season. Teddy at that time had never thrown more than 15 TD's in a season. We all see how badly the Sam Darnold experiment turned out in 2021. Acquiring Baker (2022) has almost made things worse.

Your post imply that we just got a 3rd round pick for McCaffrey our offense would thrive.  He isn't holding the team back. Subpar QB play is holding this team back, which is why we all want the FO to get QB in round 1 this year and an offensive minded HC to groom him.

Who has the franchise picked in the 3rd round the past 4 or 5 seasons that has really had a huge impact for this team on the field other than Brady Christensen, who isn't even playing his natural position, but is proving to be a solid starter?

• Pie 1

Something else you have to think about...

Trading star players away might benefit Scott Fitterer as long as those trades are for good compensation.

But no matter what the compensation is, they serve as a big "screw you" to interim coach Steve Wilks.

Wilks has already been told that he'd have to do "an incredible job" to earn the permanent gig. And then you go trade away some of his best players?

That'd sure make an interesting story to add to that tanking lawsuit Wilks is part of, wouldn't it?

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Thanks for pointing that out! 

I specifically stated that because CMC had been injured the previous two seasons and if the Panthers are really leaning toward a trade then they better get it done; otherwise we are playing with fire.

Again he wasn't seriously injured.

No vertebrae problems

No major ortho issues ACL etc

No brain issues

He had some non serious soft tissue problems. Again he wouldn't have sat out as long if we were contending for the playoffs. 

I'd shut him down now as it is since this year is shot. 

I just don’t know which QB to draft.

• Pie 1