• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We pretty much have to take a RB on day 2 in the draft, right?

t96

I would prefer we pass on Gibbs unless its a later pick. He has absolutely no consistency as a running back but he is a good pass catcher out of the backfield. 

Against Texas - 9 Carries for 22 yards. His long was 7. So his other 8 carries net him 15 yards. This is terrible.

Against Vanderbilt - 3 carries for 21 yards. This seems good. But he had a 17 yarder in there which means his other 2 carries were for 4 yards total.

Against MSST - 10 carries for 37 yards with a long of 19. Meaning his other 9 carries totaled for 18 yards. Terrible again. 

Even the game against Arkansas, his best game - 18 carries for 206. This game had him break a 76 yard TD and 72 yard TD.  148 yards of his total on two plays. This means he had 16 other carries for 58 yards. Meaning the rest of the game he was averaging roughly 3.6 a carry.

Now, you can't just take away stats but the point of the above is that Gibbs, as a running back, is basically a home run or nothing type of player this year. 

He is terrific catching passes but nothing from his performances screams lead back in the NFL. 

Najee Harris was a much better prospect as a running back coming out of college, was 232 pounds and showed he can carry the rock week in and week out. And he has been meh as a pro. 

Not to mention because of how "loaded" the RB free agent class is there are going to be a few nfl starters who sign somewhere for little money. 

I'd take the RB with the 3rd rounder.  Gotta get QB, TE and MLB with those first three picks. I'm just now starting to look at them, but the kid out of Illinois, Chase Brown,  looks like a CMC clone.  Haven't seen enough film of him yet to judge his hands in the passing game, but the same size, same shiftiness and same downhill burst in what clips I've seen. 

• Pie 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, TheRumGone said:

The point is we don’t have to. We’re about to get a very talented qb that we need to build around. Don’t take a rb until 4th round or later. Take positions of better value in the second or third rounds like te, lineman or wr. Build this team the correct way. 

it is so weird reading some of these posts. It’s like some people don’t  watch how other successful teams are built.

I agree with you somewhat, but you must acknowledge that there is more than one way to build a successful team. Indeed, each season is a puzzle that has to be solved. 

By the way, we don't know what type of QB we're going to get. Highly drafted QBs fail also. We have two on our roster for goodness sakes. Hopefully we can get "the one", or hopefully Corral will be developed the right way and become our guy, but nothing is guaranteed. In the meantime, you just keep building with BPAs high, peppered with more developmental talent that may turn into starters or quality complementary players day three.