• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Finding a QB is hard

Martin

13 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

We're going to win the division with 6 games, get blown out in the playoffs, and get right back to the quarterback purgatory loop.

If we do, I think Tepper will keep Wilks as the head coach, but really as just a foil for next year.

We're in the cycle.

• Lose, but not quite enough.
  • Pick top 10.
  • Draft anything but a quarterback, until your hand is forced.
  • Lose, but not quite enough.

We're the new Jets.

Jets would tank all the way to a top 3 pick, and pick a QB.

We may still do that, but we haven't so far.

22 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

That list doesn't help your argument

Trevor, Zack, Burrow, Cam, Luck, Stafford, Ryan, Smith are all franchise guys

Kyler, Tua probably are

Goff solid QB

Most of these quarterbacks have started playoff games as well. The goal is to make it to the playoffs where you give yourself a chance to win a ring. 

• Pie 2

The weird anecdotes of teams that draft a quarterback high and miss are really disingenuous. Of course, teams draft busts, it happens, and as we all know the further you're pushed down the draft board the less likely you'll be able to make the correct choice.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

The weird anecdotes of teams that draft a quarterback high and miss are really disingenuous. Of course, teams draft busts, it happens, and as we all know the further you're pushed down the draft board the less likely you'll be able to make the correct choice.

That depends pretty heavily on the team.

Some teams could draft #1 overall and still pick a bust. Others can draft at #32 and find a superstar.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

That depends pretty heavily on the team.

Some teams could draft #1 overall and still pick a bust. Others can draft at #32 and find a superstar.

Yeah, it's scouting. But it's impossible to scout a player that isn't available at your selection.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Yeah, it's scouting. But it's impossible to scout a player that isn't available at your selection.

I get that, but if I had to choose between the two I'd rather have the smart personnel people than I would the advantageous draft position.

Having the right people drafting is a good thing regardless of where you are. Having the top draft pick though means a whole lot less if your personnel people don't know what they're doing.

• Pie 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I get that, but if I had to choose between the two I'd rather have the smart personnel people than I would the advantageous draft position.

Having the right people drafting is a good thing regardless of where you are. Having the top draft pick though means a whole lot less if your personnel people don't know what they're doing.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. We're talking about this year.

Though, I feel you're putting a lot of faith in the guys that looked at Sam Darnold, and thought he was not only worth being handed the starting job, but also worth a contract extension, and the cost of our 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks.

If the Panthers make it out of this year picking out of the top 10 then I wouldn't be surprised if we trade multiple first rounders to move up for a quarterback. They've thrown everything else at the wall, and nothing has stuck. I see Fitterer as a gambler, and I think he would definitely be inclined to make that decision.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

28 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

It's working right now. They're winning, and still have a bounty of drafted players developing.

One of their top picks is now sitting behind PJ as a backup.

"Right now" is the operative word.  It didn't work for a decade or more. 

It is not necessary.

In the last 20 years, the Mannings are the only QB's that won the SB with the team that tanked for them.  It can work, but its not the only way.

Edited by poundaway

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

One of their top picks is now sitting behind PJ as a backup.

"Right now" is the operative word.  It didn't work for a decade or more. 

It is not necessary.

In the last 20 years, the Mannings are the only QB's that won the SB with the team that tanked for them.  It can work, but its not the only way.

They tanked, trading Jamal Adams and it's paying off. After years of mediocrity, they finally got out of it.

36 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

All this tells us is that teams that are picking in the top 5 have missed the boat in either selecting their QB or developing them. You could do this same exercise for just about every other position and find similar results. 

That is precisely my point. I have seen no evidence that Tepper will make a good decision when it comes to the next head coach or even if our GM is a good one. I'll give Fitterer a pass because I think Rhule was making most of the decisions. That is why I am saying we don't need to tank this season, even if we end up out of the top 5 picks. I think having this team learn to win when everything is against you, will do more for the future.