• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College BBall 2022

jayboogieman

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's true. They're going to have to find an answer to this or it's gonna start hurting their bottom line as fans get turned off and start tuning out. College basketball is already a shadow of what it used to be anyway. Growing up in NC in the '80s and '90s Tobacco Road basketball dominated this state in terms of sports fandom.

Showing your age. I get it. It's frustrating as longtime fan. But this is the new era of college sports. We might not like it, but it's not going to change. The newer generation of fans will love it. Our time has come and gone.

Embrace it we all get older. Times have changed and it will continue to change.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's true. They're going to have to find an answer to this or it's gonna start hurting their bottom line as fans get turned off and start tuning out. College basketball is already a shadow of what it used to be anyway. Growing up in NC in the '80s and '90s Tobacco Road basketball dominated this state in terms of sports fandom.

If they eliminated the 1 and done that would be a start.

Then if they put a cap on NIL for each year you've been at a school that would help

Year 1 500k

Year 2 million

Year 3 5 million

Year 4 10 million 

This would encourage good college basketball players to stay at the school they originally committed to but not force them to do so.

If you blossom your Jr Year at belmont and can bag 10 million dollars as senior would you leave to go play for ucla for 500k

Those are just made up numbers but incentives to Stay at one school makes sense. Nba does this to encourage players to stay where they were drafted

36 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Showing your age. I get it. It's frustrating as longtime fan. But this is the new era of college sports. We might not like it, but it's not going to change. The newer generation of fans will love it. Our time has come and gone.

Embrace it we all get older. Times have changed and it will continue to change.

Football will be fine. The game is booming. College basketball had been in decline for decades now and this is only going to speed that decline up. 

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, toldozer said:

If they eliminated the 1 and done that would be a start.

Then if they put a cap on NIL for each year you've been at a school that would help

Year 1 500k

Year 2 million

Year 3 5 million

Year 4 10 million 

This would encourage good college basketball players to stay at the school they originally committed to but not force them to do so.

If you blossom your Jr Year at belmont and can bag 10 million dollars as senior would you leave to go play for ucla for 500k

Those are just made up numbers but incentives to Stay at one school makes sense. Nba does this to encourage players to stay where they were drafted

In theory your cap per year idea would make sense but the policing of it would be practically impossible given the sheer number of schools and players.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It will decline sure, but the game is not going anywhere. 

I don't think it's going away by any means but I do expect it to continue to decline in popularity and relevance. So called "basketball schools" are gone. Basketball is an an after thought to football. The schools that haven't already figured that out are either behind the curve or simply know they don't have the resources to compete in football given the larger costs involved.

A 4 star recruit who can’t shoot suddenly finds himself on the outside looking in after being recruited over and tougher competition to get in the starting lineup. If he is afraid to compete against Withers, Trimble, Ryan and that recruit from the Ivy League then so long pal. Not to mention he is probably gonna get a bag from a St Johns donor and not have to pass the ball next season. 

of course, the bigger story here is that this is a late transaction that can be promoted negatively against UNC and that moves the needle. If this were to happen at VaTech, Clempson, NC$T, or St Johns nobody would care or probably even notice. 

wish the kid the best but thank you for giving back the scholly. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it's going away by any means but I do expect it to continue to decline in popularity and relevance. So called "basketball schools" are gone. Basketball is an an after thought to football. The schools that haven't already figured that out are either behind the curve or simply know they don't have the resources to compete in football given the larger costs involved.

Who said anything about basketball being more popular than football?

Of course football is more popular. My point was basketball is not going anywhere even if it declines. The NBA is the most popular basketball league. Honestly college basketball has been in decline for the last decade.

I remember growing up we use to have college basketball parties for the UNC/Duke games. The trash talk during and after the games were fun. Then we would go to school and talk about it with the teachers. Those were the days.

I honestly don't even watch much of the regular season anymore. I tune in during March Madness.

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Of course football is more popular. My point was basketball is not going anywhere even if it declines. The NBA is the most popular basketball league. Honestly college basketball has been in decline for the last decade.

I remember growing up we use to have college basketball parties for the UNC/Duke games. The trash talk during and after the games were fun. Then we would go to school and talk about it with the teachers. Those were the days.

I honestly don't even watch much of the regular season anymore. I tune in during March Madness.

That's my point. It's declining and the decline is likely to just intensify. I expect the NBA to emphasize the G League more and more.

I don't know what you mean by "not go anywhere". Yeah, college basketball is going to continue to exist but it's already nowhere close to what it used to be and it's trending straight down.

I mean, college baseball exists but does anyone actually care?

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

ACC might make it thru the conference shuffling that is on the horizon but not a good sign when UNC, UVA, dook, and Miami have been vetted and appear to be targets of the B10 

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's my point. It's declining and the decline is likely to just intensify. I expect the NBA to emphasize the G League more and more.

I don't know what you mean by "not go anywhere". Yeah, college basketball is going to continue to exist but it's already nowhere close to what it used to be and it's trending straight down.

I mean, college baseball exists but does anyone actually care?

I still watch it even though it has been in decline the past decade. I just don't watch it like I did back in the early 2000's. Back then you could argue it was just as popular as the NBA.

College baseball exists and yes they still have diehards who still watch it even though most of the country doesn't. 

Im not debating your point that college basketball is declining. Im just stating that it will still exist. I don't think it will ever get to the college baseball level of decline though.lol

14 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

ACC might make it thru the conference shuffling that is on the horizon but not a good sign when UNC, UVA, dook, and Miami have been vetted and appear to be targets of the B10 

I don't even follow the conferences like that anymore. Too much shuffling around imo. This is why the rivalries are no longer what they used to be. Everybody chasing money. There is no more respect and pride in college sports anymore.

Money, Money, Money!

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I still watch it even though it has been in decline the past decade. I just don't watch it like I did back in the early 2000's. Back then you could argue it was just as popular as the NBA.

College baseball exists and yes they still have diehards who still watch it even though most of the country doesn't. 

Im not debating your point that college basketball is declining. Im just stating that it will still exist. I don't think it will ever get to the college baseball level of decline though.lol

Watch a game on the ACC Network which is a LOT of games these days. Used to be practically every UNC and duke game was nationally televised on a major network. Look at the quality of the advertisers. It's says everything. It's late night TV infomercial level bullshit being advertised. Viewership numbers must be absolutely AWFUL if that's the level of advertisers you can attract. It's an absolutely awful look.

Certainly feels like college basketball is currently trending to end up somewhere a lot closer to college baseball than college football.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In theory your cap per year idea would make sense but the policing of it would be practically impossible given the sheer number of schools and players.

If you make any infraction a huge penalty you would hope most universities would play by the rules