• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns has never had a double digit sack season

Growl

8 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

So you’re saying the Jags and Jets would have been perennial playoff contenders if they didn’t trade them? 

I'm saying that it's easier to build with good players on your roster than rather if they're not there. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I get your logic; however, DE is almost as important as a QB.  Without Pressure on a QB, just about any QB can win games.  Darnold showed that yesterday.  

You are also assuming that we hit on that traded pick.   If you expect your GM to hit on his first couple of picks you should also assume that if there is a QB outside of the top 5 we are going to target him too.

So let me ask you this.  If Fitt and Morgan along with the HC (new or old) feels that Corral might be the answer or that a 2nd round pick at QB is just as good, do you trust them?   These guys spend far more time than you and I (probably combined) doing their homework on every player we have on our board.  I would have to trust their judgment.  

Just for the record, I haven't given up on Corral and think with some valuable Reps and time he can be as good as any QB coming out in this draft. 

Here's my thought process if I'm Fitts/Morgan. 

This year, QB if we think the right fit is there after Young/Stroud go 1/2. Likely we end up in the 6-12 range. I don't think there's really much choice but to draft a QB. MC won't be ready for week 1 as a starter and while we assume he will be healed, foot injuries are tricky as we saw with Olsen and Cam, plus we still need a competent backup. Keep Darnold as a bridge, develop the 2 rookies and let it shake out. We can use one of our 3 2nds on a DE as talent will slide. Obviously not Burns, but some drop off was to be expected with this trade. 

2024 draft. - use our 2 1sts for a DE and WR1 depending on talent available or if a Parsons like prospect(s) is available, take them as well. 

2025 - now 2 full seasons from rookie QBs, we should have some idea of our 23 1st rd QB and MC are. Either they can cut it or not. If we're good, use the 2 picks to add DE, because we do need 2 and whatever other piece. If not, we have 2 1sts available to maneuver if necessary. Either MC or 23QB would be moved on from pending performance, the other is backup, Darnold is off the books, and we move on. Plus we have $30m in salary we can use to add a FA DE and a couple other pieces

While I understand that losing Burns is not an ideal situation, I think the trade would have set us up the best for finding a QB in the next 3 years, given the bust rate for QBs. Without a QB you can't compete, and this would give us a good shot twice in 3 years. Not ideal obviously, but that's playing the statistics as GM. 

I was really surprised when he Rams had put a 2024 first, 2025 first and a 2023 second-round pick on the table for DE Brian Burns.

I was also surprised when the Panthers refused to give up Burns for that vast amount, a player they considered to be one of their core pieces. 

11 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Here's my thought process if I'm Fitts/Morgan. 

This year, QB if we think the right fit is there after Young/Stroud go 1/2. Likely we end up in the 6-12 range. I don't think there's really much choice but to draft a QB. MC won't be ready for week 1 as a starter and while we assume he will be healed, foot injuries are tricky as we saw with Olsen and Cam, plus we still need a competent backup. Keep Darnold as a bridge, develop the 2 rookies and let it shake out. We can use one of our 3 2nds on a DE as talent will slide. Obviously not Burns, but some drop off was to be expected with this trade. 

2024 draft. - use our 2 1sts for a DE and WR1 depending on talent available or if a Parsons like prospect(s) is available, take them as well. 

2025 - now 2 full seasons from rookie QBs, we should have some idea of our 23 1st rd QB and MC are. Either they can cut it or not. If we're good, use the 2 picks to add DE, because we do need 2 and whatever other piece. If not, we have 2 1sts available to maneuver if necessary. Either MC or 23QB would be moved on from pending performance, the other is backup, Darnold is off the books, and we move on. Plus we have $30m in salary we can use to add a FA DE and a couple other pieces

While I understand that losing Burns is not an ideal situation, I think the trade would have set us up the best for finding a QB in the next 3 years, given the bust rate for QBs. Without a QB you can't compete, and this would give us a good shot twice in 3 years. Not ideal obviously, but that's playing the statistics as GM. 

Depends on the value of the QB that will be there at 6-12.  We shouldn't reach for a QB that could fall to the 2nd round when there are other elite prospects on the board. I'd rather trade down, maybe pick up an additional 1st next year than to gamble on a QB.   If, Big If, Darnold, plays well through the remainder of the season than we can continue to develop Corral.  Sign Darnold to a one-year extension and let him start 2023.  Eventually we put Corral on the field and see if he is going to be our future QB.  If he fails, then 2024 we can use our #1 pick on Williams or Mayes, including trading up with our 2 first round picks. 

We shouldn't reach.