• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The more I think about it, if Wilks rallies the troops the rest of the way(which he sort of has already), maybe we just stick with him on a short term deal.

At least we might be able to restore some credibility to the organization and make it a more attractive option if we have to move on from him.

Plus....I am pretty concerned about Tepper's next hire. I sincerely hope he has some good FOOTBALL knowledgeable people around him for that decision.

I would rather have Reich. At least he has won at some point as a HC. I think the only time Wilks looks like a good option is as an interim HC for a coach like Rhule who shouldn't even have been in the NFL.

The pipedream is that we bypass the obvious flip of no experience to enough experience to know what we are getting isn't good enough but better than option 1. I'm trying not to get excited about the pipedream but more years of Wilks is a hard sell for me.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I would rather have Reich. At least he has won at some point as a HC. I think the only time Wilks looks like a good option is as an interim HC for a coach like Rhule who shouldn't even have been in the NFL.

The pipedream is that we bypass the obvious flip of no experience to enough experience to know what we are getting isn't good enough but better than option 1. I'm trying not to get excited about the pipedream but more years of Wilks is a hard sell for me.

TBD but I would agree Reich is probably a little better option to "right the ship." He is also not really going to be capable of elevating the team much above respectable, so the cons aren't gonna be that drastically different than Wilks.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

TBD but I would agree Reich is probably a little better option to "right the ship." He is also not really going to be capable of elevating the team much above respectable, so the cons aren't gonna be that drastically different than Wilks.

The biggest difference is we have all sat through years of Wilks type ball and if I never have to see another game of that after this year's last game than I'm happy with that outcome even if it's not the outcome I really desire. plus, I don’t think Reich will be around long term with his health and age.

Edited by Waldo

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The biggest difference is we have all sat through years of Wilks type ball and if I never have to see another game of that after this year's last game than I'm happy with that outcome even if it's not the outcome I really desire. plus, I don’t think Reich will be around long term with his health and age.

Well I also don't see Reich putting up drastically different results. IMO, if I am given the choices of Reich or Wilks, I don’t have any real strong opinions on those guys. Now if the wheels fall off the rest of the season, I might change that opinion. 

• Beer 1

Even if the Panthers like Wilks a lot it would be insane not to go through a process and weigh different options to make sure you got the right guy. This is extra important after seeing what we got with our last hire and ultimately how wrong that decision proved to be.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well I also don't see Reich putting up drastically different results. IMO, if I am given the choices of Reich or Wilks, I don’t have any real strong opinions on those guys. Now if the wheels fall off the rest of the season, I might change that opinion. 

Results? No but I wouldn't have to watch another game of Ron/Fox ball. That's enough for me, that's my floor after leaving the Rhule level. 

I think Reich would do a decent job on offense and would need a really good DC hire. Nice 4 to 5 year run and make some playoff runs if we can get the QB situation improved. I think Reich is a better coach but he also looks like he needs a big time revitalization after the Indy funk. Defiantly not my top choice but over Wilks for sure. 

I don't expect the wheels to fall off. I expect more of the same. I do think Wilks is a great interim but that's also what makes him ugh long term for me.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Even if the Panthers like Wilks a lot it would be insane not to go through a process and weigh different options to make sure you got the right guy. This is extra important after seeing what we got with our last hire and ultimately how wrong that decision proved to be.

100% agreed.  I am still praying Tepper swallows his pride and hires a consultant like Colbert to access our situation and go from there.   Having said that I just truly dont think Wilks is the answer.  We need to do something different for once.  Interim to full time coaches rarely ever work out long term.  

Newton on was charlotte radio this week and said that if Tepper wants another splash hire he should target Harbaugh and he may be attainable depending on what Michigan does to finish out the season.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Results? No but I wouldn't have to watch another game of Ron/Fox ball. That's enough for me, that's my floor after leaving the Rhule level. 

I think Reich would do a decent job on offense and would need a really good DC hire. Nice 4 to 5 year run and make some playoff runs if we can get the QB situation improved. I think Reich is a better coach but he also looks like he needs a big time revitalization after the Indy funk. Defiantly not my top choice but over Wilks for sure. 

I don't expect the wheels to fall off. I expect more of the same. I do think Wilks is a great interim but that's also what makes him ugh long term for me.

Well Reich had a pretty big problem identifying QB talent. It was a pretty Rhule-esque QB carousel that ushered him out.

I would probably rather watch more Fox/Rivera ball than that.

We will see what happens.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well Reich had a pretty big problem identifying QB talent. It was a pretty Rhule-esque QB carousel that ushered him out.

Thats an odd thing to say as Irsay was driving the bus in regards to the qbs. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Is that confirmed that it was all Irsay?

yes 100%, Reich had rivers and made the playoffs and he wanted him back but Irsay saw Wentz was available so they went that route.  Then after they missed the playoffs Irsay publicy poo on wentz and that was that.  Then the trade for Ryan and then Irsay issued the order to sit ryan for ellinger. 

You can google each of those names and see how irsay was involved

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

yes 100%, Reich had rivers and made the playoffs and he wanted him back but Irsay saw Wentz was available so they went that route.  Then after they missed the playoffs Irsay publicy poo on wentz and that was that.  Then the trade for Ryan and then Irsay issued the order to sit ryan for ellinger. 

You can google each of those names and see how irsay was involved

If that is the case, I retract that criticism. Hard to operate around a meddling owner. Especially one on cocaine.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

If that is the case, I retract that criticism. Hard to operate around a meddling owner. Especially one on cocaine.

Yep.  I am surprised Reich hasnt unloaded on him yet.  Probably because he wants another job.  I like Reich a lot and like Quinn I think his floor is getting this franchise to respectability.   I think either hire legitimizes this team and cuts out the wackiness that Rhule brought in.   Not sure what either ceilings are but baseline that would make us a competitive nfl team imo.

I think the homerun hire would be harbaugh, I think the swing for the fences on the young offensive mind would be Steichen from philly Kafka from NYG or Dorsey. 

Furthermore I wouldnt really consider Reich a "retread" since his past owner is a bipolar lunatic so we may be getting a really good coach on general principle

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It seemed like they played it safe while ignoring defects. I'm not sure how much was Ballard and Irsay (sure looks a lot like them which was my commne tabout him needing a revitalization) but that would have to be discussed because if he didn't want to develop a QB then we don't need him.

I never want to see Fox/Rivera ball again, it deserves to be a relic of the past where it shined.