• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

1 minute ago, frankw said:

If the coaching staff actually believes reclamation project redux is going to turn this franchise around I'll instantly lose any of the confidence built over these last several weeks. But I just don't see it. It's easy to sit on the internet and say you'd roll the dice on a Sam Darnold when it's not your job at stake.

Lose their job over a backup qb? A backup, not starter, a backup?  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Lose their job over a backup qb? A backup, not starter, a backup?  

Based on the premise in the OP Sam would still be starting for an undetermined amount of time until one of the other young QB's is ready. Even one game of Sam Darnold is too many to me 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 1

It is funny to watch the guys that slam Sam say that Cam can still get it done.  My read on Sam is that if you can get to him early and rough him up, his clock speeds up and he is ruined the rest of the game.  He keeps those feet chopping the rest of the game and rushes all of his throws or makes really poor decisions with the ball.  I don't think anyone is coaching it out of him at this point.  It is an instinct he has and when fight or flee kicks in he is what he is.  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

yet his completion % went down and his rate of putting the ball on the ground went up.  That generally doesn't go with a narrative of great improvement. 

In fact you could argue it was almost exactly like the 2021 season.  A good 4-5 game start before the wheels predictably fell off.  Repeated pattern.  NFL teams just need a couple games to figure out how a staff is hiding a bad QB.  Because you can only hide Sam Darnold so long in any offense. 

You have an agenda about Darnold that is obvious so honestly your analysis is flawed by your bias. Any reasonable person clearly saw the improvement which has been acknowledged by most qb watchers. So responding back as I have in the past is wasted. You aren't going to change your mind so I won't bother. Just know your opinion is not shared by most knowledgeable observers.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Barney said:

It is funny to watch the guys that slam Sam say that Cam can still get it done.  My read on Sam is that if you can get to him early and rough him up, his clock speeds up and he is ruined the rest of the game.  He keeps those feet chopping the rest of the game and rushes all of his throws or makes really poor decisions with the ball.  I don't think anyone is coaching it out of him at this point.  It is an instinct he has and when fight or flee kicks in he is what he is.  

Yet that didn't happen in 2022 despite heavy rushes by teams like Pittsburgh. He had a passer rating of 108 and was 14 for 23 for 225 yards despite being under pressure and sacked 4 times. Apparently with even a ok OC he was able to not do that. Imagine how much better it will be with this staff.

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

Based on the premise in the OP Sam would still be starting for an undetermined amount of time until one of the other young QB's is ready. Even one game of Sam Darnold is too many to me 🤷‍♂️

Well we do not get to make that call. I could think of worse temporary starters this season.  All mid level starters have their warts. That's why they are mid level at best. Those guys are backups because there are only about dozen actual bonified nfl starts in this league. The rest are what they are.  You have to do your best with that until you can draft a guy that may get you out of the pool of backups. That's the reality of the league. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

If the coaching staff actually believes reclamation project redux is going to turn this franchise around I'll instantly lose any of the confidence built over these last several weeks. But I just don't see it. It's easy to sit on the internet and say you'd roll the dice on a Sam Darnold when it's not your job at stake.

Tepper didn't devote a small fortune to hiring this all-star coaching staff only to watch Sam Darnold become Panthers Plan A.

9 minutes ago, frankw said:

What free agent QB had a better win percentage than .666 in 2022 who would be available cheaper than Darnold? 

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Tepper didn't devote a small fortune to hiring this all-star coaching staff only to watch Sam Darnold become Panthers Plan A.

He isn't plan A. He is one of the options like Corral and a rookie are. If he ends up playing the best then he deserves to start. If other folks are better then he should sit.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Yet that didn't happen in 2022 despite heavy rushes by teams like Pittsburgh. He had a passer rating of 108 and was 14 for 23 for 225 yards despite being under pressure and sacked 4 times. Apparently with even a ok OC he was able to not do that. Imagine how much better it will be with this staff.

Passer rating in January in important games was 72.9 with 3 picks.  He was pressured and sacked more in those games. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well we do not get to make that call. I could think of worse temporary starters this season.  All mid level starters have their warts. That's why they are mid level at best. Those guys are backups because there only about dozen actual bonified nfl starts in this league. The rest are what they are.  You have to do your best with that until you can draft a guy that may get you out of the pool of backups. That's the reality of the league. 

Looking through this list there are multiple better options available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

What free agent QB had a better win percentage than .666 in 2022 who would be available cheaper than Darnold? 

Wins eh? Remind me how he looked without a huge showing from his run game and when he had to pass the ball? He was outperformed in the final game of the season by Andy Dalton. And please don't give me any of this nonsense about how the game didn't matter.