• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best NC City

BrisbanePanther

Best Carolinas city  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best city in the Carolinas and why?

• Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Greensboro
    • Winston
    • Greenville
    • Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Other

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Wow water!

What else is there to do besides water?

But what is there to do AT ALL in Raleigh? See a hockey game? NCSU women?

I put in 18 years in Charlotte, 1 in Greensboro, 6 in Raleigh, 2 in Durham ... and it's all garbage. The coast or the mountains blow them away.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I visit a lot of places my favorite is Las Vegas.

I love Vegas. Tons of cheap flights. Makes a great airport to fly into and grab a rental car and then immediately head out to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Brian Head, Escalante, Capitol Reef, and other actual great places to see.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, Floppin said:

Like I feel that Mountain City and Johnson City were in a very similar position 15 years ago. Mountain City has done very little to improve unlike Johnson City. Granted JC is much bigger with more tax revenue.

I greatly prefer Mountain City over Johnson City.  But that is primarily because I had some friends in Mountain City, and spent a lot of good weekends up there. 

And my EX wife is from Johnson City, so not very fond of that place.  lol 

9 hours ago, OceanPanther said:

Ok..   to answer these type questions ,, one should ask themselves,  where do I like to vacation.... Because we go to places we like, enjoy.    I have never met some one that said,  " I'm going on vacation,  I'm going to Raleigh/ Charlotte/ Greensboro  etc.   NO !!!!   No one says they want to  go spend a week in any of those.

Try Charleston, Wilmington, ( beaches , arts, history, restaurants ) You can live on beach areas within 50 miles and enjoy.    One can say the same for  Asheville , Greenville SC,  High Country ( Boone area ) with their Mountains in lieu of Beaches.   

Should I be from anywhere else but Wilmington,  Chaws'ton has to be number 1 ..  Kiawah, Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, Seabrook etc.   Excellent Restaurants are everywhere.

I know one thing..  when traveling west from Wilmington up I 40 ..  all the traffic is headed in the other direction,,  toward  Topsail , Surf City, Wrightsville, Kure, Carolina, Oak Island, Sunset, Holden, Ocean Isle Beaches... 

I have to disagree.  The places I enjoy going on vacation to are not places I would want to live.  The things that make them enjoyable as a vacation area would get boring very quickly if I lived there.  A lot of people I know have moved to the beach, and about half of them eventually moved back.  

I have taken trips all up and down the coast, from Kitty Hawk to Charleston, and while I enjoyed most of the trips, I can't imagine I would want to live in any of those areas.  I like being in an area where I am an hour or less away from Pro Football, and 30 minutes away from College Basketball/Football, with an excellent mix of restaurants with a large variety of different types of food. 

Of course, the big thing for me is being close to family.  That trumps everything else.  

4 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

But what is there to do AT ALL in Raleigh? See a hockey game? NCSU women?

I put in 18 years in Charlotte, 1 in Greensboro, 6 in Raleigh, 2 in Durham ... and it's all garbage. The coast or the mountains blow them away.

I take it you don't like being around a lot of people?

I love to visit those places but why would I want to live near the coast when they get a hurricane at least once a year?

I don't want to deal with the stress of my home possibly being damaged every year because of a freaking hurricane.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I love Vegas. Tons of cheap flights. Makes a great airport to fly into and grab a rental car and then immediately head out to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Brian Head, Escalante, Capitol Reef, and other actual great places to see.

Grand Canyon is my next trip. Finally I get to experience the true beauty of the Grand Canyon up close and personal.

Edited by CamWhoaaCam

8 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I visit a lot of places my favorite is Las Vegas.

Would I want to live there? Hell no! It's too damn hot.

I'm going to vegas in 2 weeks, going to see a knights/kings game can't wait. I love vegas, I'd live there no problem.

Regarding best NC cities, I've only been to Charlotte. I had my eye on moving to Boone, Banner Elk, Brevard, Morganton, or Waynesville, though. They seem like great areas and I could've sold my home in California and bought something cash with way more land. That ship has sailed though, I'll be on the SoCal coast for good.

• Pie 1

Been everywhere and lived everywhere. Charlotte and Raleigh are very plain but nice and clean cities with a lot to offer and great geographical location. Charleston isn’t bad, kind of like Savannah. But grimey areas are very grimey. Boone is beautiful but small. Asheville way too hipster slash hillbilly, uninteresting, expensive and touristy for my taste. Also too small.

East TN like Chattanooga is dirty. Same with Knoxville. COVID shut downd hit these towns hard. Might as well split the cities into people with lots of money and people with zero.

I’m a six hour drive from Vegas. It’s a complete wasteland. I am NOT a fan of dessert terrain. I like nature. Pants and wildlife. Fun to visit though.

• Pie 1