• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just for the sake of discussion, is there a correlation between size and injury?

rayzor

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

Strouds frame can add on ten or so pounds to his benefit.

Will 10-20lbs benefit Young or make him less mobile? Can he add weight and keep it? He didn't weigh in so we don't know that.

How does he measure up with the rest of the QBs? Didn't throw at the combine on purpose.

IF Young didn't hide, but showed HEART like this is ME. He'd have more respect but he hid like a little boy instead of fighting and competing alongside the other MEN.

I'd probably argue 10-20 lbs probably hurts both Young and Stroud tbh, Stroud isnt super fluid in the pocket already, wouldnt want him to be even more of a statue. I think players holding too much weight on their frames can lead to unintended consequences as well like with Kyler and his non contact injuries.

I dont have really strong opinions on combines or pro days I can understand if its a negative to you, and thats fair.

7 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I'd take Bryce #1 at 175. I think he's that talented and believe the NFL is protecting their QBs to an absurd level these days.

I've already posted three evidence-backed reasons why I believe his weight hovers around 200. All the "playing weight" posters can do is say "c'mon man it's obvious." 

Also - what the national media tries to drum up as a big deal doesn't affect my opinions. Hearing Reich say it's something to consider did. If Reich wanted to see Bryce's weight, he'd weigh in if he wants to be a Panther. He may have and it was behind closed doors. I can come up with hypotheticals too.

Cool. So you don't care about his playing weight. Just leave it at that.

No one else here is coming up with hypotheticals. The reality is that he weighed in at the Combine at 204 but participated in no drills and wore a hoody the entire time hiding his body. Then he didn't weigh in again at his pro day as is customary where he did participate in drills. That's just the simple facts.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

You keep making.my point. If Tua weighing 220 by your numbers  but small in height and frame gets ragdolled then Young is even more a risk at likely under 200 lbs.  Taller bigger framed guys in the 220 range will be more resistant to getting tossed than a small guy like Young. You don't need group stats to figure that out.

I take it you didn't actually look at the data posted in this thread.

1 hour ago, stan786 said:

Tua weighs more than CJ does though, I dont get why its not an indictment on them both.

His size wouldnt have many examples to point to of a smaller player didnt get injured like Tua. That's what I mean by recency bias.  

We would have nothing to compare it. The next QB to compare it would be Kyler Murray... and his injuries were not relative to his size.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, stan786 said:

I guess my think with Stroud is I dont think people are putting enough weight on how many QBs have come into the NFL bad with pressure and never improved. There is at least a decent risk on that limiting Stroud's career trajectory as well.

But end of the day almost all QBs come into the draft with these kind of question marks. They are both pretty good prospects imo and two guys i'm going to be happy to have.

I think it's overblown with Stroud.  He had the best rating in all of college football even with his "bad pressure" numbers.  He wasn't terrible under pressure, just dropped from his crazy high no pressure rating.  He honestly didn't experience enough pressure early on.  UGA brought the heat and you see what he did there.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

You keep making.my point. If Tua weighing 220 by your numbers  but small in height and frame gets ragdolled then Young is even more a risk at likely under 200 lbs.  Taller bigger framed guys in the 220 range will be more resistant to getting tossed than a small guy like Young. You don't need group stats to figure that out.

You are telling me bigger guys are more resistant but then i'm showing you an example of a guy who is big and had the same thing happen. Stroud's extra 2 inches make that impossible though?

If we need a big framed guy why arent we arguing for Levis or Richardson. Stroud is closer to the Bridgewater Tua mold than he is to a big bodied QB.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The ironic thing about that is NOT weighing in was much more of a distraction than if he simply did like everyone else.  It made him look like he was hiding something if he wasn't.  

i don't know...i think there was going to be a lot of hot air either way. Media wasn't going to be able to let go of it one way or the other and there comes a point where you just say "fug it" and quit trying to play that game. Media wanted to see him over 200lbs, and he gave it to them, but even then it wasn't a closed issue and it wasn't going to be a closed issue regardless of what he did.

In reality there's only two teams who it truly matters to, us and the Texans, because he's going to one or the other. If he's been assured by one or both that they are looking beyond that, and i'm sure it's been discussed with him by both teams at this point...i just don't think he cares anymore what anyone else is saying. 

even if he does fall past us or the texans, he won't be falling past the colts. i just don't think that he will fall that far. it's either 1 or 2 and his size likely doesn't play as major a role in that decision as many of us and especially the media believes. 

he's not trying to get drafted first or second overall by mass media or the fans. he's trying to get drafted by several very interested teams who already know the real story we're all debating over.

• Pie 2

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I think it's overblown with Stroud.  He had the best rating in all of college football even with his "bad pressure" numbers.  He wasn't terrible under pressure, just dropped from his crazy high no pressure rating.  He honestly didn't experience enough pressure early on.  UGA brought the heat and you see what he did there.  

I would argue Strouds issues were bad early in the season and then he started showing signs of it as the season progressed and improved as it went on, culminating in the Georgia game. Which I think is actually a positive as he showed signs of development and then had a game where it all came together. I agree its overblown but I also think this Young injury risk stuff is way overblown.

My argument is basically they are both very good prospects that we should be happy to have.

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

And then opted not to reweigh at his pro day. What does that tell you?

He's satisfied with the weight he showed?

The Panthers/Texans are satisfied and didn't need to see him weigh in again?

He doesn't care what national media thinks?

He's not concerned with proving his playing weight to Huddle doubters?

Just now, ECHornet said:

He's satisfied with the weight he showed?

So why not show it again?

You honestly think NFL teams opted for less information? He was about to step on the scale and they came running to stop him?

He shouldn't. This isn't about the media.

He probably has no idea that the Huddle exists.

How many NFL games have been started by QBs as small as Bryce Young? 

Doug Flutie is the closest size comparison I’m aware of and he started 66 games total according to my search. That is less than four seasons of regular season play alone. 

After watching Tua get repeatedly rag-dolled and concussed last year, it’s very hard for me to get on board with Bryce Young. I believe he will probably be a fine player when healthy, but I hope to avoid what Miami and Tua are dealing with right now. I am hoping for a QB that will be around beyond their rookie contract. 

Edited by TruthVsComfort