• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kaye's X-Factor: System Fit

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Not that I agree with this, but there will always be "debates" from the outside looking in.  It might not be much of a debate behind closed doors (could be for Young or Stroud).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/621052-cam-newton-vs-blaine-gabbert-the-great-debate

Yeah I get that, it's very possible the Panthers have a clear favorite.  But the guy I quoted is basically saying Stroud is superior to Young in every single way possible.  If that were true, you'd think public perception would even remotely reflect that, not only among media (who I know are flawed in their evaluations and often just piggyback off of what's trendy), but from actual scouts who evaluate prospects for a living.  Instead, it seems like Young and Stroud are very much neck and neck by all accounts.  I know I know, poor choice of expression...Bryce Young is tiny yadda yadda lol.  The consensus seems to be that Stroud has his strengths and weaknesses, and Young has his strengths and weaknesses, hence why there's a genuine debate about which is objectively the better prospect.

It'd be like if the narrative leading up to the 2021 draft was like "Who the heck are the Jaguars going to take?!  Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields??" when everyone knew they were taking Lawrence aside from a hot take here or there.  If there's a QB prospect who is superior in virtually every way, then manufacturing an air of mystery surrounding which QB will be taken #1 overall would just come across as silly and cringe.

37 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah I get that, it's very possible the Panthers have a clear favorite.  But the guy I quoted is basically saying Stroud is superior to Young in every single way possible.  If that were true, you'd think public perception would even remotely reflect that, not only among media (who I know are flawed in their evaluations and often just piggyback off of what's trendy), but from actual scouts who evaluate prospects for a living.  Instead, it seems like Young and Stroud are very much neck and neck by all accounts.  I know I know, poor choice of expression...Bryce Young is tiny yadda yadda lol.  The consensus seems to be that Stroud has his strengths and weaknesses, and Young has his strengths and weaknesses, hence why there's a genuine debate about which is objectively the better prospect.

It'd be like if the narrative leading up to the 2021 draft was like "Who the heck are the Jaguars going to take?!  Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields??" when everyone knew they were taking Lawrence aside from a hot take here or there.  If there's a QB prospect who is superior in virtually every way, then manufacturing an air of mystery surrounding which QB will be taken #1 overall would just come across as silly and cringe.

It's just my opinion, but I do feel in all those areas that were mentioned, Stroud is better than Young.  Obviously he is bigger, taller, and stronger.  You can see how bad Bryce Youngs arm is at his Pro Day, he had only 2 catchable balls out of 6 deep shots.  He also puts his whole body into his deep throws where you see barely even any arm movement with CJ.  You can also see it on his higlight videos, which are supposed to show his best throws.  Bryce underthrows his receivers on long balls, you see his receivers have to stop and and come back to the ball. CJ is better at placing the ball to give the receiver better chance at YAC. It's also been proven that Bryce holds onto the ball for over 3 seconds a play, whereas CJ is at the top at getting the ball out quickly. 

Do I think CJ is a shoe in to be a franchise QB? No, he has his flaws too.  But, I think his play translates so much easier to the NFL. I think Bryce is a Great college QB, but not an NFL QB.  

Edited by jfra78
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

36 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah I know what you are saying.  There is no Luck/Burrow/Lawrence/clear cut top QB.  I just think it might not be as close as what our fans are making it out to be to Carolina.  2011 also didn't have a clear cut QB, but yes every prospect this year has flaws.  

The good news is that either of these two QBs should be franchise signal callers for whichever franchise drafts them, IMO. I don't think we can go "wrong" with the selection. 

I don't feel like there's a true gap between them when you zoom out at their full body of work....It's 1A & 1B. Both have strengths that will help them right away, and both have areas that can improve. 

It comes down to which QB will work with this collective and both are not finished products yet. 

There's an insanely large list of successful collegiate QBs that do not excel at the NFL level. It all comes down to system, fit and the right coaching staff and supporting cast. 

For me, all things equal....I'm taking the 6'3", 215 pound quarterback over the 5'10", 185 pound QB. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1