• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

Just now, rayzor said:

Not that I doubt you, but show me. 

Panthers coach Frank Reich, whose team owns the No. 1 overall pick, said durability is more of a consideration with Young than concerns that his short stature might lead to issues with batted passes. “The best ability is availability,” Reich said Tuesday during the NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL owners 'meeting.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

There is not enough data either way to know. The people who are making a huge deal of it are making assumptions that have never been proven out, the people that say there is zero risk are interpolating the data down into outlier data where we have no real idea.

Previous Injury history does tend to inform future injury risk and Bryce has been relatively clean comparatively. Its 100% a data point and should be a discussion but this feels like people who think more carries in college = more injuries in the pros when its been proven there is no correlation.

There is a lot more that goes into injuries than the basic things people like to assume, and while I wish there was more data on injuries and size, currently making an assumption that it'll be a massive issue in the pros just feels like people overthinking things and making assumptions that are just not there.

Bryce's size does make him an outlier but there are plenty of reasons short QBs don't get the burn in the NFL that regular sized QBs do. Generally when short QBs have elite skill sets and are given a shot they've tended to do well, but the sample size is very low. Teams aren't going to use early picks on outliers unless they've got some Elite skill sets and that's why on the alternative the only real comp for Anthony Richardson's accuracy levels is Josh Allen because he's the only guy before with the tools to get drafted in the first and be given the chances that first round picks get. That's the same reason there is a significantly higher success level with first round QBs than any other round of QB taken, when players have significant investments in them they are given more time and more chances to succeed.

Regardless, it's an unfounded fear. Even if Reich believes it, there is no evidence to support it is more of a concern. It's just a feeling. Nothing more. 

Again, there are reasons to choose otherwise based on his height, but durability and injury probability has nothing to back it up in regards to smaller vs larger QBs. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

Regardless, it's an unfounded fear. Even if Reich believes it, there is no evidence to support it is more of a concern. It's just a feeling. Nothing more. 

Again, there are reasons to choose otherwise based on his height, but durability and injury probability has nothing to back it up in regards to smaller vs larger QBs. 

Lol come on man

• Pie 1

Young is less durable because he holds on the ball for so long in order to make the big play, whereas Stroud emulates Brees and tries to get the ball out very quickly while still in the pocket

Young is the better QB all things considered, but I am concerned about injuries to that throwing shoulder. He also puts a lot of oomph into throwing with his shoulder, whereas Stroud the ball just kind of glides out of his hands.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

My non-medical, medical opinion:

being small (in height) has no impact on how often you get injured 

being small (in bulk and weight) has a great impact on how often you get injured. 

I don’t care about Bryce’s height but he looks like a twig standing next to any player. If he can put on 20 pounds of muscle and not lose any ability, he’s a no brainer #1 pick 

2 minutes ago, stan786 said:

there is zero risk are interpolating the data down into outlier data where we have no real idea.

I don't think people are saying there is zero risk. I know I'm not. I just know that he won't be anymore likely to get hurt than Cam was. In fact Young will probably be more able to avoid injuries because of the way he manages himself. 

But you can never predict a catastrophic hit from a TJ Watt kind of guy or the open season allowed by refs on Cam against the Broncos in the Superbowl and the season opener the following season, but when those do happen, it won't matter... apparently...how big you are. 

• Pie 2

Just now, amcoolio said:

Young is less durable because he holds on the ball for so long in order to make the big play, whereas Stroud emulates Brees and tries to get the ball out very quickly while still in the pocket

Young is the better QB all things considered, but I am concerned about injuries to that throwing shoulder. He also puts a lot of oomph into throwing with his shoulder, whereas Stroud the ball just kind of glides out of his hands.

They've been the same level of durable in college, where does the less durable thing come from or is it just you feel like he should be?

Pockets probably the most dangerous place for a QB to be based on Injury rates.

I’m not a scientist but when Yukon XL gets in a wreck with Prius, I know who’s passengers will get the worst end of impact.  It is all related to transfer of energy or transfer of G forces.

Here’s a great article.  Considering Young is 5’10 and article below… sounds like he will get his head taken off if hit from a blindside by blitzing player.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2015/11/08/football-physics-putting-g-forces-in-perspective/amp/

• Pie 2