• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More advanced stats on Bryce and C.J

panther4life

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I know Mac was under center a bunch.  Not sure about tua

This one doesn't have numbers but has some interesting comments

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/08/how-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoas-pre-snap-position-could-create-more-red-zone-success.html

Word around Alabama is the Crimson Tide has made a concerted effort to make Tua Tagovailoa more comfortable operating from under center, in part, because it could help improve the Tide’s performance in the red zone after experiencing shortfalls in that area last season.

The problems Alabama experienced in that condensed part of the field came to a head last January, when Clemson crushed the Tide, 44-16, in the national championship game. During that miserable evening in the Bay Area, the Tide scored one touchdown in its four trips inside the red zone, executing 13 of its 18 plays out of Shotgun once it cracked the Tigers’ 20.

During the one sequence when Alabama did breach the goal line, Tagovailoa lined up under center behind a jumbo package and completed a play-action bootleg on a one-yard toss to tight end Hale Hentges, who was wide open.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

This one doesn't have numbers but has some interesting comments

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/08/how-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoas-pre-snap-position-could-create-more-red-zone-success.html

Word around Alabama is the Crimson Tide has made a concerted effort to make Tua Tagovailoa more comfortable operating from under center, in part, because it could help improve the Tide’s performance in the red zone after experiencing shortfalls in that area last season.

The problems Alabama experienced in that condensed part of the field came to a head last January, when Clemson crushed the Tide, 44-16, in the national championship game. During that miserable evening in the Bay Area, the Tide scored one touchdown in its four trips inside the red zone, executing 13 of its 18 plays out of Shotgun once it cracked the Tigers’ 20.

During the one sequence when Alabama did breach the goal line, Tagovailoa lined up under center behind a jumbo package and completed a play-action bootleg on a one-yard toss to tight end Hale Hentges, who was wide open.

This talks about how efficient Mac was under center.   I suspect if young could excel at being under center the. They would have done that more with him.    Would love an explanation as to why not

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This talks about how efficient Mac was under center.   I suspect if young could excel at being under center the. They would have done that more with him.    Would love an explanation as to why not

Well this newish Cardinals article is interesting. New staff is hoping Kyler can add more under center snaps to his game, he has the lowest % in the league currently

"I think we can take him to another level and unleash his full skill set," Gannon said. "We're not gonna put him in gun all the time, I'll tell you that. We'll have two significant offenses with his skill set: one being under center and one being in the gun. Then obviously we're gonna do what's comfortable with him. The way to take pressure off the quarterback and the O-line is to put him under center at times."

According to NFL Research, Murray was in the shotgun 92.3 percent of the time the last three seasons, and his 2.9 percent time under center was the lowest of any NFL QB. No QB was in shotgun more than Murray in 2022.

Kingsbury had once said there wasn't anything that could be done under center that couldn't be done in shotgun. Murray has said he's more comfortable in shotgun. But being under center makes it easier to run play-action plays, and Gannon (and incoming offensive coordinator Drew Petzing) sees that potential.

"That's the missing piece I thought they had with Kyler," Gannon said. "They were in gun all the time. When you're in gun all the time, you don't make the defense defend certain play types. Now, when you get him under center, the defense has to defend a lot more type of play types. So there's really two offenses I see us using."

This honestly puts it between Stroud and Richardson for me.  Stroud is the safer play. Young and Richardson are gambles. If I'm gambling I'm going all in with AR-15. He gives the chance of a huge pay day and his bust % probably isn't that much higher than Youngs.

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Plenty to like from both. But the lack of under center plays and already the clear need to design an offense around his size limitations makes it an even bigger gamble to pass on Stroud or even Richardson in favor of Young. Could pay off big. Of course it could also end with us looking like fools. Hoping we make the correct choice 🤞

good point 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Its insane that it isnt even being talked about enough. 

Young stans are ignoring this thread because there is no way to sugar coat being too small to run play action and QB sneaks under center. We got this crazy ass coaching staff and they probably can't play QB under center? Seems like it would be a waste of resources

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Young stans are ignoring this thread because there is no way to sugar coat being too small to run play action and QB sneaks under center. We got this crazy ass coaching staff and they probably can't play QB under center? Seems like it would be a waste of resources

Hey Bryce guy who’s been in the thread, I pointed out Mac didn’t line up under center in college either. It’s the bama scheme, not necessarily specific to Bryce. Do I know if Young can be effective under center for a fact - nope, is it enough for me personally to pass on him - not really.

Eagles and the Chiefs just made it to the Super Bowl lining up in Shotgun 80% of the time, Franks been known to enjoy the shotgun. Ideally Bryce is able to adjust, but it’s a pretty comment issue from college to the pros. He threw a number or under center looks in his pro day for that reason, it’s clear he knows he’s gonna have to figure it out. 

You can run play action from shotgun or pistols formations pretty easily. Definitely gonna struggle with the QB sneak though for sure and that’s a good point.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Hey Bryce guy who’s been in the thread, I pointed out Mac didn’t line up under center in college either. It’s the bama scheme, not necessarily specific to Bryce. Do I know if Young can be effective under center for a fact - nope, is it enough for me personally to pass on him - not really.

Eagles and the Chiefs just made it to the Super Bowl lining up in Shotgun 80% of the time, Franks been known to enjoy the shotgun. Ideally Bryce is able to adjust, but it’s a pretty comment issue from college to the pros. He threw a number or under center looks in his pro day for that reason, it’s clear he knows he’s gonna have to figure it out. 

You can run play action from shotgun or pistols formations pretty easily. Definitely gonna struggle with the QB sneak though for sure and that’s a good point.

Yeah, it's harder to the sell the play action from shotgun, and the RB can't get as much momentum as he would from getting the hand off from under center. I'm sure he can pull off handoffs under center on short yardage stuff, but actually rolling out to pass with a DE in his face might not be all that effective. That's when the big QB hits and batted passes would be a legit concern

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, it's harder to the sell the play action from shotgun, and the RB can't get as much momentum as he would from getting the hand off from under center. I'm sure he can pull off handoffs under center on short yardage stuff, but actually rolling out to pass with a DE in his face might not be all that effective. That's when the big QB hits and batted passes would be a legit concern

Very fair, I guess I don’t see why he couldn’t develop an under center game. I get height concerns but Russ is about the same height and was able to develop it. It’s all about finding the passing lanes and he’s great at that.

But yeah great points on the rollout stuff. I won’t deny there are probably some things you have to throw out. I just personally think the juice is worth the squeeze. 

• Beer 1