• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign recently unretired NT John Penisini

TheSpecialJuan

I can imagine how nervous the centers in the NFC South are right now--bet they are going to get the helmet eye protectors installed.  I mean, you would too if you were going up against a nose tackle names penis in i (eye).  OK--back to maturity.  jokes over.

Clear Mirror Football Visor  Universal Fit for Riddell image 2

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Detroit Lions DT John Penisini, 25, retires after two NFL seasons

Penisini, 25, started in 12 of his 32 career games, registering 49 tackles, four tackles for loss, a sack and a fumble recovery. Detroit selected him in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Utah.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34074294/detroit-lions-dt-john-penisini-25-retires-two-nfl-seasons

Does this suggest that Tuttle will not play Nose tackle for the Panthers?  I mean, on the roster we have Penisini, McCall, Roy, and Tuttle slated to play 1 position (NT).  We have Brown, Anderson, and Williams slated to play the 2 DE positions.  Is it possible that the Panthers want to move Tuttle to DE and will let Penisini and McCall (Roy to PS?) handle the NT duties?  I think that is the plan-

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Does this suggest that Tuttle will not play Nose tackle for the Panthers?  I mean, on the roster we have Penisini, McCall, Roy, and Tuttle slated to play 1 position (NT).  We have Brown, Anderson, and Williams slated to play the 2 DE positions.  Is it possible that the Panthers want to move Tuttle to DE and will let Penisini and McCall (Roy to PS?) handle the NT duties?  I think that is the plan-

They won’t all make the team.

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I thought same thing.  I think they gonna be doing a lot of workshop variations of lineups on the the front to see what works. I'm gonna let the mad scientist Envero work and put the right guys in the right place. Honestly we piecing it together I doubt the future at NT in 3 years is on the roster right now.  

Edited by mickeye76
Adding a thought.
  • Pie 3

Just now, WhoKnows said:

They won’t all make the team.

The reason he is slated to play DT is because the news release from David Newton of SI said, "The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Tuttle, who according to the team website is closer to 315 pounds, likely will play nose tackle for the Panthers, who are transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme."

While it could very well be true, Tuttle is a bit smallish for a NT in a 3-4.  When this was announced, they did not have Penisini.  So even though not all players make the team, you still have to put them in the right place.  I have heard no coach say that Tuttle was a NT, only David Newton, assuming that because we had signed Williams and the weight on the Panther website was listed at 315.  I am not yet convinced that Tuttle is a NT because David Newton read the website--does he not have any more connections than that?  He goes to the website and tells us what it says?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1