• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

3 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Prior to the age of the internet, ESPN was one of the few ways for sports fans to view game highlights other than evening news broadcasts.  All things considered, it is amazing that ESPN has endured as long as it has.

Looking back, well this is my take(ugh). I think part of the downfall was when they started forcing everyone into west coast teams, or just Duke, or only golf, etc. I never liked that, sports filled a big "time waster" in my life and I knew lots of stuff about many of them. Then I stopped watching sportscenter and i loved espn news 24/7. Then I stopped watching MLB(unless its a big game), NBA, nascar, even college BB and FB(unless its a big game). I even came close to dropping the NFL during alll the stuff that should not be in sports *rare deals. If not for me following the panthers since 93-95, id dropped the whole NFL and pick up a hobby....In which In have in arm wrestling. I use to also play FF and had like a 93% win rate on yahoo, many teams too. 

They just got tooo big, incert the mark cuban quote. Plus why the fucck is steve a smith getting 14 million or skkkkkiiipppp getting that coin??? thats a joke and rating were a joke. LG hit on it above, that turned every thing into a red vs blue on every topics, grossssssss. Same the drama for the females😁 

• Pie 1

I have the nostalgia for the low tech old days when NFL Primetime was without a doubt a highlight of my week. 
They need to bring back Australian Rules Football and the America’s Cup overnight programming, repeat that stuff all day, break on with some scores and reports on actual sports news that doesn’t involve contract, money, and focus on the athletic side not the business side. 4am after a late shift, America’s Cup was a blast. 

Present the content with much less emphasis on the personalities of the talking heads they employ and, again, place the emphasis on athletic side of sports. 

Too ‘80s?

Maybe, but I could handle ego deluded Berman and his nicknames, and Tom Jackson kissing his ass all broadcast long. Yes Boomer, no Boomer, yes Boomer, haha that’s a good one Boomer.

I do recognize that much of the old days’ appeal hinged on the more entertaining style of play celebrated on Jacked Up, which the media helped take away from us (if a guy wants to sacrifice his old age for millions of dollars he could never ever get a chance to earn otherwise, $ which elevates his family for generations, isn’t that his right?). 

Go back in time and stop the overt show biz there before you bring in Skip and Steven A and their TMZ oriented yelling and theatrics, and take the other fork in the progress road.