• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who are your top 5 Panthers players of all time based on talent?

CamWhoaaCam

You for the challenge of finding the top 5 on talent there isn't a lot of crowding in that space.....

......but alas, if we were to make a list of the least talented 5 Panthers that list could be a very very.....long one indeed and argued over a plenty......LOL.

Just in QBs alone that would be an interesting discussion......

So what does that tell you about this franchise? 

Edited by PghPanther

20 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

For me it was a pretty easy list to make if we talking pure talent.

1. Julius Peppers- 6'7 280 athletic freak. Peppers was literally a freak of nature of an athlete. He would stand out on tv as he towered over Olineman. I don't think we will see a guy that size dominate at DE like he did. He was easily the best pure talent in Panthers history imo.

2. Cam Newton- Once again 6'6 250 athletic freak. Cam was trucking LB's and carrying Dlineman into the endzone on goal line runs. Not only was he fast and strong he also had a cannon of an arm before his injury. Cam was one of a kind.

3. Luke Kuechly- Kuechly was not only a freak athlete, but what made him great was his anticipation. I never seen a LB besides Ray Lewis blow up a play before it even starts. Kuechly would know the play before the offense. He was scary good at getting to the ball. He controlled the field on defense.

4. Steve Smith- Smitty was another freak athlete despite his height this dude was well built and had rock as calves. He was probably the most physical WR of all time. This dude was making DB's look like kids the way he would stiff arm them in the dirt. He also was a high leaper. He would attack the ball at the highest peak as if he was Randy Moss. Smitty was a tremendous athlete for his size.

5. Christian McCaffrey- Cmac was pretty much a do it all rb. He could line up at slot and look like the best slot WR in the league. Or he could run out of the backfield and hurt you as a runner. By far the best and most talented rb in franchise history.

Who are your top 5 Panthers players of all time from a "pure talent" perspective?

That was a good list but it would have been easier to try selecting  the top 15 because a lot of players were fairly equal in talent at their position.

Edited by KatsAzz

On 5/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

So how exactly do we define talent in this scenario? Brady, for example, could throw it very far and thread a needle with a pass. But he was slow. Cam was fast and powerful but not as accurate as Brady. Speed is nice and all, but Barry Sanders was about the juke not the speed. A WR who can jump high but can't catch is worthless, but I bet there are dozens and dozens of guys who could catch anything thrown their way but were slow and didn't start. So how do we judge "talent"? Stats? Freakish size? Lord of high school and college ball? Natural god given ability? Maybe it's ... checking off every single box in every possible category for your position? But even then, "Cam wasn't accurate", etc. And come on ... Armanti Edwards did nothing in the NFL. His talent vanished.

So what exactly is "talent"?

In no particular order, I think:

1. CMC (could run, catch, pass lol, made people miss, and played smart)

2. Luke (was all over the damn field, intelligence off the charts)

3. Cam (could run, pass, very physical, tons of responsibility on his shoulders)

4. Smitty (could catch, jump, was quick, fast, route god, and could make people miss)

5. Peppers (fast, quick, powerful, no quit in him, blew through Olinemen)

First; Barry had plenty of speed. What they call "Long Speed". Once he was gone, he was long gone.

Second; You typed all that just to agree with about 98% of the Huddle? 

I do get a kick out of your posts. 

5 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I cannot disagree more on the Luke thing.  You need to go back and look at his athletic profile coming out.

He was a complete freak show.

Luke had very good combine numbers.  I think he ran 4.58 and I don't remember his other numbers but I am sure they were equally good.   Not great.

You look at a Barno at DE and he ran sub 4.4 and Samuels ran like 4.31 and Jenkins ran like sub 5.0 at 310 or 315.  Those are outstanding numbers no only for there position but for any position.  As a team we have drafted some freak athletes.

Luke was a better football player and it's not even close but he was not the athlete those guys were

8 hours ago, bababoey said:

Based on talent a guy like Lamar Latham, or Peppers should be at the top and Luke should not even be on the list.

Mark Fields was more physically talented than Luke ever was but Fields wasn't half the player Luke was.  It's hard to make a list like that.

Bro do you even know who Luke Kuechly is?

There is no way you watched Kuechly and not realize how talented he was. This dude would control the entire field and he was always near the ball. He was a freakshow for a LB.

Im disappointed in you my friend.