• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

53 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

San Jose doesn't want to retain on Karlsson deal, so Hurricanes are probably out of it. 

They are going to have to, there’s not a team in the universe that can fit $11.5M in their cap for the next four years.

They’ll end up retaining 35% and depending on who he goes to, a third time might have to come in and retain an additional third.

I’d imagine San Jose doesn’t want to take a bunch of salary back so I don’t know how Pittsburgh is in the conversation since they have no cap space whatsoever.

If Carolina were to acquire Karlsson then I think it would like like this:

San Jose Receives - Picks, Prospects

Third Team Receives - Pesce

Carolina Receives - Karlsson, Picks from Third Team

San Jose Would retain 35%, the third team would retain 35%, and Carolina would get Karlsson at $4.025M AAV over the next four years. $4.025 AAV is the contract that Pesce is currently on.

San Jose probably doesn’t want salary back because they are in a rebuild so we give them picks and prospects and we give Pesce to a team that’s interested in him in exchange for taking on some of Karlsson’s salary.

The deal could also be simplified if San Jose retained 50% on Karlsson. It would have to be something like Pesce and Drury for Karlsson and then San Jose could flip Pesce at the deadline for picks.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

They are going to have to, there’s not a team in the universe that can fit $11.5M in their cap for the next four years.

They’ll end up retaining 35% and depending on who he goes to, a third time might have to come in and retain an additional third.

I’d imagine San Jose doesn’t want to take a bunch of salary back so I don’t know how Pittsburgh is in the conversation since they have no cap space whatsoever.

San Jose Would retain 35%, the third team would retain 35%, and Carolina would get Karlsson at $4.025M AAV over the next four years. $4.025 AAV is the contract that Pesce is currently on.

San Jose probably doesn’t want salary back because they are in a rebuild so we give them picks and prospects and we give Pesce to a team that’s interested in him in exchange for taking on some of Karlsson’s salary.

That's the rumor right now, they have said no to retaining much if any of his contract. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's the rumor right now, they have said no to retaining much if any of his contract. 🤷‍♂️

They can keep him then because no team is adding $11.5M to their books for the next four years.

I’ll take a second line absolute beast of a shutdown pairing in Orlov and Pesce and flip Skjei for a forward.

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The deal could also be simplified if San Jose retained 50% on Karlsson. It would have to be something like Pesce and Drury for Karlsson and then San Jose could flip Pesce at the deadline for picks.

Cool. Let them cut him then and pick him up NFL style. 

1 hour ago, DavidEng said:

Yeah I’ve seen those tweets. Why would San Jose be willing to retain 50%? With 3 teams after him (or 2 depending on the speculator) I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Karlsson is a $11.5 mil AAV contract. Also saw a tweet that a deal isn’t  close so expect something in an hour haha.

They are going to have to retain something if they want to move him though, no one can take that cap hit for the next four years. It would cripple a franchise.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

They can keep him then because no team is adding $11.5M to their books for the next four years.

I’ll take a second line absolute beast of a shutdown pairing in Orlov and Pesce and flip Skjei for a forward.

I think we are good. Keep 2 get TDA as 7 and ball out as the 

war video game physics GIF

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

They are going to have to retain something if they want to move him though, no one can take that cap hit for the next four years. It would cripple a franchise.

Let them keep him. Enough of this poo. We paid 7.5 for Orlov. What do you think the best defensive defensemen is going to ask if we have a 7.5 and an 11.5(even with retained salary) on the books when his time comes?

If he goes FA he may just become the most paid player in NHL history. 

Edited by Harbingers

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Let them keep him. Enough of this poo. We paid 7.5 for Orlov. What do you think the best defensive defensemen is going to ask if we have a 7.5 and an 11.5(even with retained salary) on the books when his time comes?

If he goes FA he may just become the most paid player in NHL history. 

Orlov is only getting $7.75 because it’s a short deal and there’s no excuse for the Karlsson deal. In the NHL only guys like McDavid and Matthews should be making that much.

As for Slavin, he’ll get $9.5M or $10M.

Well I’ve missed a day of it! Glad to see us making moves although I really wanted a new goalie.

Let’s see who we pick up for scoring, fill that gap and we are golden.

Svech won’t be firing on all cylinders until post Christmas and maybe we keep Max on Injury list until playoffs and play the cap game like others.

I miss my hockey!