• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deandre Hopkins is a FA

Seltzer

I don’t really see the points against Hopkins.  It’s not like only 2 WRs see the field in todays game.  The other guys would still be getting plenty of snaps.  And while it would be great if Mingo and TMJ would break out, I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it happening.

Hopkins contract would likely be short so the long term impact would be minimal.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Nobody wants a #1 WR it seems. They putting their trust in some unknown young guys.

I hope Mango lives up to the hype! I would hate to have a realistic chance at Hopkins and we put our faith in the young guys and they don't live up to expectations.

It's not about wanting a #1 WR, nobody was banging the trade for Hopkins drum more than I was early in the offseason.

But we are not a SB contending team this year, if we were, then signing Hopkins would be totally different as having him would be much better for the team than developing TMJ and Mingo.  Which is why I've advocated for hoping Hopkins signs a 1 year deal somewhere else this year and then we sign him next summer when our SB window really opens in years 2-4 of Bryce's rookie deal.

But opening up that SB window is more than just Bryce's development, it's also developing our other players, particularly two 2nd round WRs who both have high upside potential and with Chark on the team now, I think Hopkins hurts our long term outlook more than he helps it this year.

I am a Hopkins fan, I think he can still be a Top 10 WR in the league for a few more years, I just don't think it's the right fit with our current roster right now.  If we can sign him and trade Chark for a CB or DE/OLB, then sign me up, but with our roster, that money is needed elsewhere and/or saved to roll over into next year's cap when we can make some splash FA signings.

28 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don’t really see the points against Hopkins.  It’s not like only 2 WRs see the field in todays game.  The other guys would still be getting plenty of snaps.  And while it would be great if Mingo and TMJ would break out, I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it happening.

Hopkins contract would likely be short so the long term impact would be minimal.

How many 4 WR sets do you expect us to run?

If we sign him, the majority of snaps would be Hopkins, Chark, Thielen with TMJ and Mingo mixed in as a 4th WR at times and spot snaps the rest.

Right now those two are slotted to split the 2nd outside WR duties and both on the field for most 4 WR sets, but if we sign Hopkins and Chark stays healthy, they'd take 90%+ of the outside WR snaps.

TMJ has flashed potential and this is the year we need to see if he can grow as a player and we just drafted Mingo, it would make no sense to take snaps away from our 2nd round pick this year, need him to grow with Bryce.

11 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

It's not about wanting a #1 WR, nobody was banging the trade for Hopkins drum more than I was early in the offseason.

But we are not a SB contending team this year, if we were, then signing Hopkins would be totally different as having him would be much better for the team than developing TMJ and Mingo.  Which is why I've advocated for hoping Hopkins signs a 1 year deal somewhere else this year and then we sign him next summer when our SB window really opens in years 2-4 of Bryce's rookie deal.

But opening up that SB window is more than just Bryce's development, it's also developing our other players, particularly two 2nd round WRs who both have high upside potential and with Chark on the team now, I think Hopkins hurts our long term outlook more than he helps it this year.

I am a Hopkins fan, I think he can still be a Top 10 WR in the league for a few more years, I just don't think it's the right fit with our current roster right now.  If we can sign him and trade Chark for a CB or DE/OLB, then sign me up, but with our roster, that money is needed elsewhere and/or saved to roll over into next year's cap when we can make some splash FA signings.

If we win the NFC South and we get into the playoffs who's to say we can't end up in the NFCC game?

Philly is the only powerhouse team in the NFC. 49ers are probably the next best team but they don't know who will be there QB longterm.

If Bryce Young lives up to the hype there is no reason why we can't compete this year. The coaches said a championship is the goal and they want it sooner rather than later. Frank is old he doesn't have time to play the rebuild game.

As a fan I find it hard why people think Hopkins would be a bad signing. We need to win as soon as possible. Hopkins can help this offense a lot more than the younger WR's.

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

If we sign him, the majority of snaps would be Hopkins, Chark, Thielen with TMJ and Mingo mixed in as a 4th WR at times and spot snaps the rest.

Right now those two are slotted to split the 2nd outside WR duties and both on the field for most 4 WR sets, but if we sign Hopkins and Chark stays healthy, they'd take 90%+ of the outside WR snaps.

TMJ has flashed potential and this is the year we need to see if he can grow as a player and we just drafted Mingo, it would make no sense to take snaps away from our 2nd round pick this year, need him to grow with Bryce.

If Mango is good he will see the field. These coaches will put the best players on the field. You don't recieve playing time based on your name. The best players will play.

45 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It was his best passing season. Rookie Cam was something else. Dude was slinging it all over the field. Having Smitty as a reliable target was a big reason for his success. 

You do realize that total yardage doesn't mean anything.  There is an argument to be made that target heavy WR 1's can hinder the growth of a rookie QB, I kinda like having a whole bunch of WR 2's which he might have 4 of them this year.  

Particularly with a QB like Bryce who is supposed to be a savant mentally, having 4 dependable guys he can spread it around to evenly as opposed to one guy who he would depend on might be better for his development as well.

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If we win the NFC South and we get into the playoffs who's to say we can't end up in the NFCC game?

Philly is the only powerhouse team in the NFC. 49ers are probably the next best team but they don't know who will be there QB longterm.

If Bryce Young lives up to the hype there is no reason why we can't compete this year. The coaches said a championship is the goal and they want it sooner rather than later. Frank is old he doesn't have time to play the rebuild game.

As a fan I find it hard why people think Hopkins would be a bad signing. We need to win as soon as possible. Hopkins can help this offense a lot more than the younger WR's.

I don't think adding Hopkins to this current team makes us much more of a SB contender, it makes us better, but we still have a rookie QB and other holes and young players that are still developing.

And if we end up in the NFCC game without Hopkins, then not signing him would be the best thing we could have done as it would mean Chark balled out and had his best season and/or TMJ/Mingo went nuts and exploded into legitimate weapons and then that Hopkins money is best used elsewhere.

If Hopkins made us a legitimate SB contender it's a different discussion, but unless you're just jaded by your Panther fandom, you can't look at this team and say that we're there yet this year, which isn't a bad thing, we're clearly very much on the rise.

Edited by tukafan21

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't think adding Hopkins to this current team makes us much more of a SB contender, it makes us better, but we still have a rookie QB and other holes and young players that are still developing.

And if we end up in the NFCC game without Hopkins, then not signing him would be the best thing we could have done as it would mean Chark balled out and had his best season and/or TMJ/Mingo went nuts and exploded into legitimate weapons and then that Hopkins money is best used elsewhere.

If Hopkins made us a legitimate SB contender it's a different discussion, but unless you're just jaded by your Panther fandom, you can't look at this team and say that we're there yet this year, which isn't a bad thing, we're clearly very much on the rise.

Did you not read my comment earlier about the NFC teams?

There is only 1 powerhouse in the NFC. Everybody else is fair game. Win the division and go from there. You telling me if we made the playoffs we couldn't beat any other team besides Philly?

All the elite QB's in the AFC bro. Our path to contending is much more realistic than you think.

32 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I would think they would get in via rotations and the inevitable injuries that will likely occur.

It probably doesn’t matter anyway though because I don’t think Hopkins wants to play with a rookie QB.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Did you not read my comment earlier about the NFC teams?

There is only 1 powerhouse in the NFC. Everybody else is fair game. Win the division and go from there. You telling me if we made the playoffs we couldn't beat any other team besides Philly?

All the elite QB's in the AFC bro. Our path to contending is much more realistic than you think.

Eagles, 49ers, Cowboys, Lions, Seahawks, Vikings are all without question better teams than we are right now.  

Packers, Giants, Saints all very well may be better than we are right now

Rams, Commanders, Falcons, maybe even Bears are all teams that are probably toss-ups at this moment.

None of this is to say we aren't in a much better place than we were a year ago, but fact remains we have a rookie QB, all new coaching staff, still have holes that need to be filled, and even beyond that, we have a very young team.

On offense, Dalton (35), Thielen (32), Byrd (30), Hurst (29), Moton (28), Bozeman (28), Thomas (27), Corbett (27) are our oldest players, every other player on the offensive roster is 26 or under except for a couple backup OL, with a very young potential top core of Bryce (21), Ickey (22), TMJ (22), Mingo (22).

On defense, of likely starters/rotation players you have, Williams (30), Rowe (30), Shaq (29), Bell (28) as the oldest players, every other starter or rotation player is 27 or under, with some of the best of them much younger like Luvu (26), Burns (25), Brown (25), Chinn (25), and Horn (23).

I'm not knocking this team, we'll contend for the division this year because the South is down right now.  Our time to be legitimate SB contenders is coming if this group can develop and stay healthy, but it's just not this year yet, and adding Hopkins won't change that.  

We're pretty much the Lions of last year, young team very much on the rise, will compete in almost every game, be in contention for a playoff spot going into the final weeks and may or may not make it, but either way we'll look like legitimate NFC contenders going into the following season.

Let him chase as ring or money somewhere else on a 1 year deal this year and if he plays well and stays healthy, we go after him next offseason when we have a ton of cap room on a 2-3 year deal for him to hopefully give us a nasty Top 3 WRs of Hopkins, TMJ, and Mingo for the prime SB window of years 2-4 of Bryce's rookie deal.  But again, TMJ and Mingo aren't going to ahve a chance to develop this year if we bring in Hopkins (assuming Chark stays healthy on the opposite side, if he can't it's a different story), the snaps/targets just won't be there for them.

Edited by tukafan21

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Eagles, 49ers, Cowboys, Lions, Seahawks, Vikings are all without question better teams than we are right now.  

Packers, Giants, Saints all very well may be better than we are right now

Rams, Commanders, Falcons, maybe even Bears are all teams that are probably toss-ups at this moment.

None of this is to say we aren't in a much better place than we were a year ago, but fact remains we have a rookie QB, all new coaching staff, still have holes that need to be filled, and even beyond that, we have a very young team.

On offense, Dalton (35), Thielen (32), Byrd (30), Hurst (29), Moton (28), Bozeman (28), Thomas (27), Corbett (27) are our oldest players, every other player on the offensive roster is 26 or under except for a couple backup OL, with a very young potential top core of Bryce (21), Ickey (22), TMJ (22), Mingo (22).

On defense, of likely starters/rotation players you have, Williams (30), Rowe (30), Shaq (29), Bell (28) as the oldest players, every other starter or rotation player is 27 or under, with some of the best of them much younger like Luvu (26), Burns (25), Brown (25), Chinn (25), and Horn (23).

I'm not knocking this team, we'll contend for the division this year because the South is down right now.  Our time to be legitimate SB contenders is coming if this group can develop and stay healthy, but it's just not this year yet, and adding Hopkins won't change that.  

We're pretty much the Lions of last year, young team very much on the rise, will compete in almost every game, be in contention for a playoff spot going into the final weeks and may or may not make it, but either way we'll look like legitimate NFC contenders going into the following season.

Let him chase as ring or money somewhere else on a 1 year deal this year and if he plays well and stays healthy, we go after him next offseason when we have a ton of cap room on a 2-3 year deal for him to hopefully give us a nasty Top 3 WRs of Hopkins, TMJ, and Mingo for the prime SB window of years 2-4 of Bryce's rookie deal.  But again, TMJ and Mingo aren't going to ahve a chance to develop this year if we bring in Hopkins (assuming Chark stays healthy on the opposite side, if he can't it's a different story), the snaps/targets just won't be there for them.

I stopped reading after you mentioned the Cowboys and Vikings as powerhouse teams.

No need to debate because we just totally disagree.

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I stopped reading after you mentioned the Cowboys and Vikings as powerhouse teams.

No need to debate because we just totally disagree.

I’d love to know where I said they were powerhouse teams.

I literally just said they’re better teams than we are right now, which is 100% true.  

You seem to think we’re a top 5 team in the NFC right now, you’re delusional.

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I’d love to know where I said they were powerhouse teams.

I literally just said they’re better teams than we are right now, which is 100% true.  

You seem to think we’re a top 5 team in the NFC right now, you’re delusional.

Call me delusional because I definitely think we are better than the Cowboys and Vikings. Oh and the same Lions we beat last year are better than us...lol

Yes we can be a top 5 team in the NFC. Look at our schedule our toughest opponents are the Dolphins. We don't play Philly or San Fran this season. Win the division we automatically are a top 5 team.

Do you understand how seeding works my guy?