• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney's Biggest Mistake

Delhommey

I dont know if drafting Stewart was a mistake, but if that pick was for anybody else it shouldn't have been a WR or something.... it should have been a QB. I dont know who was drafted around that pick in that year but there is a year Fox/Hurney should have used a 1st round pick for a QB. I understand Fox/Hurney dont beleive in drafting QB's, etc ; but that is why the franchise is in the position it is in. The light should have gone off when Jake got hurt in 2007 and the season was lost with no other QB on the roster. It is hindsight but the Panthers needed a young QB of the future on the roster and they failed to address that. It probably would have been wiser to draft a QB in the 2008 draft instead of Stewart.

I dont know if drafting Stewart was a mistake, but if that pick was for anybody else it shouldn't have been a WR or something.... it should have been a QB. I dont know who was drafted around that pick in that year but there is a year Fox/Hurney should have used a 1st round pick for a QB. I understand Fox/Hurney dont beleive in drafting QB's, etc ; but that is why the franchise is in the position it is in. The light should have gone off when Jake got hurt in 2007 and the season was lost with no other QB on the roster. It is hindsight but the Panthers needed a young QB of the future on the roster and they failed to address that. It probably would have been wiser to draft a QB in the 2008 draft instead of Stewart.

This

I don't think Fox was a huge fan of DWill until last year. I know he wanted Mauroney but NE snatched him up right before our turn. Fox didn't think DWill was dependable as a feature back.

Drafting is so damn hard. And there's so much luck involved, not just in who you select, but who you select in front of. Dallas had their hearts set on a wide receiver named Jerry Rice once. SF jumped ahead of them by one and stole him away.

I can tell you this....the entire organization felt like they were the luckiest SOBs alive when Jarrett slid to them a few years ago. You just never know.

New England took him at 21, we picked 27, we had plenty of time to consider our alternatives.

It's hard to fathom Fox could be so dumb it took him 2 years to decide DWill was a feature back.

No doubt Stew was a mistake given the circumstances and the draft board.

13. Carolina - Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon

14. Chicago - Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt

15. Kansas City (From Lions)- Branden Albert, G Virginia

16. Arizona - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee State

17. Detroit (From Vikings through Chiefs)- Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

18. Baltimore Joe Flacco, QB Delaware

And our spot at the second round that year.

12. (43) Minnesota (From Panthers through Eagles) - Tyrell Johnson, FS Arkansas State

13. (44) Chicago - Matt Forte, RB Tulane

14. (45) Detroit - Jordon Dizon, OLB Colorado

15. (46) Cincinnati - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina

16. (47) Philadelphia (From Vikings) - Trevor Laws, DT Notre Dame

17. (48) Washington (From Texans through Falcons) - Fred Davis, TE USC

18. (49) Philadelphia - DeSean Jackson, WR California

19. (50) Arizona - Calais Campbell, DE Miami

20. (51) Washington - Malcolm Kelly, WR Oklahoma

21. (52) Jacksonville (From Buccaneers) - Quentin Groves, DE Auburn

22. (53) Pittsburgh - Limas Sweed, WR Texas

23. (54) Tennessee - Jason Jones, DE Eastern Michigan

24. (55) Baltimore (From Seahawks) - Ray Rice, RB Rutgers

25. (56) Green Bay (From Browns) - Brian Brohm, QB Louisville

26. (57) Miami (From Chargers) - Chad Henne, QB Michigan

No doubt Stew was a mistake given the circumstances and the draft board.

13. Carolina - Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon

14. Chicago - Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt

15. Kansas City (From Lions)- Branden Albert, G Virginia

16. Arizona - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee State

17. Detroit (From Vikings through Chiefs)- Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

18. Baltimore Joe Flacco, QB Delaware

And our spot at the second round that year.

12. (43) Minnesota (From Panthers through Eagles) - Tyrell Johnson, FS Arkansas State

13. (44) Chicago - Matt Forte, RB Tulane

14. (45) Detroit - Jordon Dizon, OLB Colorado

15. (46) Cincinnati - Jerome Simpson, WR Coastal Carolina

16. (47) Philadelphia (From Vikings) - Trevor Laws, DT Notre Dame

17. (48) Washington (From Texans through Falcons) - Fred Davis, TE USC

18. (49) Philadelphia - DeSean Jackson, WR California

19. (50) Arizona - Calais Campbell, DE Miami

20. (51) Washington - Malcolm Kelly, WR Oklahoma

21. (52) Jacksonville (From Buccaneers) - Quentin Groves, DE Auburn

22. (53) Pittsburgh - Limas Sweed, WR Texas

23. (54) Tennessee - Jason Jones, DE Eastern Michigan

24. (55) Baltimore (From Seahawks) - Ray Rice, RB Rutgers

25. (56) Green Bay (From Browns) - Brian Brohm, QB Louisville

26. (57) Miami (From Chargers) - Chad Henne, QB Michigan

Boy wouldn't if have been nice to have traded out of 13 & 43, and somehow picked up D. Jackson, R. Rice, and C. Henne ? :D

You can't predict when the light switch will go on for players, as it did for DeAngelo. It could have just as easily gone on for Jarrett.

Why do people think there was some magical 'click' for Williams? He was outplaying Foster by a landslide, it was just that Fox was too stupid or stubborn to play him. Then he and Hurney stupidly drafted another first round RB.

I know Williams himself claims he hadn't 'clicked' yet, but I don't really see that as being anything more than a classy move by him to not throw a former teammate (Foster) under the bus. Possibly to not throw Fox under there either.

When we drafted Stewart I was so pissed. Then we got Otah and I was kinda okay with it. Then Stewart turned out to be good so I was really ok with it. Then DeAngelo turned out to be great so I was still a bit confused by it. Now with where we're at, I'm not liking it again.

It's like it came full circle. Damn. :(

First:

When the Panthers 'missed' with Eric Shelton (2nd round), they got desperate to establish a power running game because that is what defines the offense of a Fox team. After Stephen Davis was no longer effective, the Panthers struggled for a few years to replace him. So, they went 'over-kill', by burning 3 high draft picks on RB (Shelton -2nd, Williams 1st, Stewart 1st). At least 2 of these picks should have been used on a QB, O-Line, WR, or DT.

Second:

The Panthers never established a #2 WR after Moose left. Keyshawn = nope. So they made another big miss with Jarrett with high round draft pick -2nd after they missed on another high rounder - Colbert (another 2nd). And today, they still do not have a #2 WR.....the old Moose should really be #3.

Third:

The Panthers never replaced Kris Jenkins. The d-line has not been dominate since. They gave it a half-hazard effort with various & forgettable names. But you don't replace Kris Jenkins with Nick Hayden, Damione Lewis, and etc. They may have finally found some replacements this year with Leonard, Tyler, Irvin and etc but we really will not know until next year.

Fourth:

The Panthers mortgaged future draft picks to win now in the last 2 drafts. Not only mid to low round picks, but they also mortgaged 1st round picks. For a team that likes to build through the draft (and not free agency), the Panthers have given up a lot the last 2-years.

Fifth:

The Panthers did not try to establish a new QB even after Jake went in for Tommy John surgery. Many said Jake's career was over due to the surgery, yet the Panthers did nothing.

First:

When the Panthers 'missed' with Eric Shelton (2nd round), they got desperate to establish a power running game because that is what defines the offense of a Fox team. After Stephen Davis was no longer effective, the Panthers struggled for a few years to replace him. So, they went 'over-kill', by burning 3 high draft picks on RB (Shelton -2nd, Williams 1st, Stewart 1st). At least 2 of these picks should have been used on a QB, O-Line, WR, or DT.

Oh how I wanted Brandon Jacobs....

Archived