• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Johnson

NAS

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he showed promise somewhere he wouldn't have been bouncing around the roster.

For reference, Brian Burns is only about six months older than DJ Johnson.

Lazy take dude.

DJ was at Miami his freshman year.  Transferred and had to sit out the next season.  Played a couple years for Oregon and then took his extra year of eligibility per Covid rules.  Yes, he’s 24.  But only because of he sat an entire season due to ncaa rules and then took his 5th year of eligibility.  

Yes, he is raw.  He’s a 3rd rounder in his first nfl training camp after a few years of college football in his drafted position.  

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Lazy take dude.

DJ was at Miami his freshman year.  Transferred and had to sit out the next season.  Played a couple years for Oregon and then took his extra year of eligibility per Covid rules.  Yes, he’s 24.  But only because of he sat an entire season due to ncaa rules and then took his 5th year of eligibility.  

Yes, he is raw.  He’s a 3rd rounder in his first nfl training camp after a few years of college football in his drafted position.  

Do you realize that you didn't refute anything that I actually said?

If we took him in the 5th or 6th, cool. But we took him in the middle of the 3rd and we traded a 3rd and 4th to move up to get him. IMO, we wanted to take an edge rusher fairly early and 14 were already off the board and pickings were getting slim. Again, IMO it was a significant reach for a 24 year old height/weight/speed athlete who played three different positions in college and didn't play any of them particularly well. When you're still trying to figure out where a 24 year old fits on the football field in his sixth season of college football he might just be an athlete and not a football player.

I hope he proves me wrong, but my take isn't "lazy". You'd have no problem with the take if he was drafted by the 31 other teams not the Panthers.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Do you realize that you didn't refute anything that I actually said?

If we took him in the 5th or 6th, cool. But we took him in the middle of the 3rd and we traded a 3rd and 4th to move up to get him. IMO, we wanted to take an edge rusher fairly early and 14 were already off the board and pickings were getting slim. Again, IMO it was a significant reach for a 24 year old height/weight/speed athlete who played three different positions in college and didn't play any of them particularly well. When you're still trying to figure out where a 24 year old fits on the football field in his sixth season of college football he might just be an athlete and not a football player.

I hope he proves me wrong, but my take isn't "lazy". You'd have no problem with the take if he was drafted by the 31 other teams not the Panthers.

Your entire point was that a 24 year rookie shouldn’t be considered a raw prospect.  That’s lazy.  He lost an entire year sitting out, lost another year due to having to play TE to help his team out.  So you’d rather he be 22 with 2 years of college exp on defense?  Either way he’d still be raw.  

42 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Your entire point was that a 24 year rookie shouldn’t be considered a raw prospect.  That’s lazy.  He lost an entire year sitting out, lost another year due to having to play TE to help his team out.  So you’d rather he be 22 with 2 years of college exp on defense?  Either way he’d still be raw.  

You're not understanding what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that a 24 year old sixth year college player shouldn't be a raw prospect due to his playing experience at a high level. When a guy has bounced all around the roster and hasn't produced well anywhere despite ideal height/weight/speed numbers it's more of a red flag than it is intriguing.

Yes, if he was younger with fewer years playing high level college football there would be more intrigue there.

Your characterization of my take is what is lazy here.

Nice pissing contest here. The dude is old as fug and the dude only played linebacker for a year in college. He’s an unknown. 

Just like the majority or the other guys drafted in the 3rd, 4th, etc. some work  out and some don’t. I’ll slap a motherfuger that says we should’ve picked Darnell Washington tho. He’s a bitch, with bad knees confirmed. Future XFL backup left tackle, unconfirmed 

• Beer 1