• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey guys, it's 2011 not 2015.

Zod

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I can find people that say all sorts of stuff.    Cam could go today and rush for 1000 yards.   He didn't get worn down.  He was designed for it.  It's what he was.  He busted his shoulder up in 2016 on fluke play and couldn't throw after that.   I mean his career is over.  We know what happened. 

Cam wouldn't have been special in in a pro system.  He was special here.   Again, he was an anomaly.  A pro system totally negates what made him unique and special in the NFL.  

if you didn't want to go on that ride because you dislike what that ride is? Cool.  Some people just like the game the way Tom Brady plays it.  That's fine.   Then you go get players that do that.   

Turner proved Newton absolutely could have been special in a pro-system.

And to be clear, the "ride I didn't want to go on" was one that shortened the career of our starting quarterback.

That's what happened, and you're suggesting that the guy who drove that particular "ride" should be thanked for it.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Turner proved Newton absolutely could have been special in a pro-system.

And to be clear, the "ride I didn't want to go on" was one that shortened the career of our starting quarterback.

That's what happened, and you're suggesting that the guy who drove that particular "ride" should be thanked for it.

You seem to be in denial about what shortened Cam's career here.  The 2016 shoulder injury that on a passing play, trying to make a tackle. 

Norv didn't prove Cam could be special in a pro system lol.   

Norv went 6-10 with Cam.  It was the birth of the dink and dunk Cam Newton.  And once teams got a little tape on that?  Because all the wins were early.....that was finished.  Norv/Cam finished 1-9.  The literal worst stretch of Cam Newton's career. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

You seem to be in denial about what shortened Cam's career here.  The 2016 shoulder injury that on a passing play, trying to make a tackle. 

Norv didn't prove Cam could be special in a pro system lol.   

Norv went 6-10 with Cam.  It was the birth of the dink and dunk Cam Newton.  And once teams got a little tape on that?  Because all the wins were early.....that was finished.  Norv/Cam finished 1-9.  The literal worst stretch of Cam Newton career. 

So when others were in charge of Newton, team wins were a quarterback stat, but suddenly when Turner takes over, they're not 🤔

So it sounds like the real mistake was to let Norv Turner try and turn Newton into a pro quarterback rather than just trying to somehow make a college system work long-term in the NFL.

Yeah, sure 😄

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So when others were in charge of Newton, team wins were a quarterback stat, but suddenly when Turner takes over, they're not 🤔

So it sounds like the real mistake was to let Norv Turner try and turn Newton into a pro quarterback rather than just trying to somehow make a college system work long-term in the NFL.

Yeah, sure 😄

lol.  You all over the map. 

I said, Cam Newton non 2015 seasons where was record breaking, making Pro Bowls, winning and going to the playoffs weren't decent/mediocre years.    You called those mediocre/decent years. 

Now you are claiming going 6-10 with Norv with a 1-9 finish (worst stretch W/L stretch of Cam's career) after teams saw the dink and dunk scheme.....was proof of being "special"?  Norv was the start of CMC obsessed offense. 

Now, what would have Norv done with a "healthy" Cam? Who knows.  He never had him.  That 2016 injury did him in and no longer could go downfield in the manner he did before his shoulder went.  

If you didn't want to draft Cam Newton? Again.  That is fine.  I get not liking to go down that road and brand of football.  But we drafted him. And not using an anomaly like Cam and taking advantage of what made him unique in NFL history is silly and Cam never is special if you don't. 

What did the GOAT Bill do with Cam?  He used him in the manner that made Cam unique frankly more so than anyone had ever done.  More so than Ron.  And Cam won more games than us, in fewer games, with what was probably the worst roster in all the NFL.   And few teams are going to want to play that way.  But even Bill Belichick said, if you got Cam, you take advantage of what makes him special.  

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

lol.  You all over the map. 

I said, Cam Newton non 2015 seasons where was record breaking, making Pro Bowls, winning and going to the playoffs weren't decent/mediocre years.    You called those mediocre/decent years. 

Now you are claiming going 6-10 with Norv with a 1-9 finish (worst stretch W/L stretch of Cam's career) after teams saw the dink and dunk scheme.....was proof of being "special"? Nah, Norv was the start of CMC obsessed offense.   

Both of those stances are easy to disagree with.  

Now, what would have Norv done with a "healthy" Cam? Who knows.  He never had him.  That 2016 injury did him in and no longer could go downfield in the manner he did before his shoulder went.  

If you didn't want to draft Cam Newton? Again.  That is fine.  I get not liking to go down that road and brand of football.  But we drafted him. And not using an anomaly like Cam and taking advantage of what made him unique in NFL history is silly and Cam never is special if you don't.    

Refer to stats as the standard for judging losing seasons...

Make wins and losses a quarterback stat when it suits the argument...

And then accuse me of being "all over the map"...

Yeah, this is what I expected 😄

I gave you a yes or no option on the central discussion. Are you going to actually answer it or just try to muddle things further?

Edited by Mr. Scot

47 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the crux of the question @CRA

Would you trust Ron Rivera to be in charge of Bryce Young's development as a quarterback?

This is what the whole discussion has been about, and it's a simple yes or no question.

So what's your answer? 

Simplistic answer: I trust Ron as much as I would any defensive HC. 

Ron would hire someone to develop Bryce.  And based on his history, can only assume he would push for a creation that played to the QBs strengths.  Which is basically what you would want from a defensive HC.   

Now do you want a defensive HC to in charge of a team in today's NFL?  Probably not.   And Cam Newton isn't the type player you ideally would even want in today's NFL.  The league is basically designed for Tom Brady created players.  But if you are going to draft Cam Newton.......you don't try to mold him into what the league is essentially designed for.  You take the freak anomaly and exploit that.   Which is what Ron did with team.  And when Bill Belichick got Cam he did it to an even more absurd degree.  But that's not the ideal path given the rules and set up.  And most coaches aren't going to be want to invest in and have to go that route.  

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Simplistic answer: I trust Ron as much as I would any defensive HC. 

Ron would hire someone to develop Bryce.  And based on his history, can only assume he would push for a creation that played to the QBs strengths.  Which is basically what you would want from a defensive HC.   

Now do you want a defensive HC to in charge of a team in today's NFL?  Probably not.   And Cam Newton isn't the type player you ideally would even want in today's NFL.  The league is basically designed for Tom Brady created players.  But if you are going to draft Cam Newton.......you don't try to mold him into what the league is essentially designed for.  You take the freak anomaly and exploit that.   Which is what Ron did with team.  And when Bill Belichick got Cam he did it to an even more absurd degree.  But that's not the ideal path given the rules and set up.  And most coaches aren't going to be want to invest in and have to go that route.  

So yes, but no, but yes, but...yeah 😕

Ron's "history" isn't something I would want to hang my hat on, especially when it comes to hiring the right people.

That's why my answer is a firm, and unequivocal, "no".

On 8/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, TLGPanthersFan said:

I find it funny people on here are using a bad preseason game to get drunk like it is the real season and we are hopelessly terrible. 
People need to get their priorities straight. 

Right, it was the first NFL experience for Bryce Young, period and he threw a total of 6 passes (4 of which he completed).  Our offensive line was swiss cheese against a defense out there trying to win the Super Bowl in the preseason.  Still, when our starters were in it was only 3-0.  Preseason is practice and it doesn't count or matter and anybody trying to extrapolate what the real season will be like off 1 preseason game is going to be very disappointed. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So yes, but no, but yes, but...yeah 😕

Ron's "history" isn't something I would want to hang my hat on, especially when it comes to hiring the right people.

That's why my answer is a firm, and unequivocal, "no".

That Cam led, Chudzinski offense was so much fun to watch.