• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Brown calling plays

Jmac

I feel he is better than the HC in that regard. Sure it is preseason, but it seems he has the mojo to call the right plays at the right time. Reich just reminds me of the SOS that we have seen here before. 

Vanilla calls for preseason will be some of the comments on this. Reich had the same problems in Indy with his play calling in his tenure there. Hopefully this isn't the Offense we have to look foward to with Reich calling the plays.

• Pie 1

It’s hard to tell with only a fraction of the playbook being used. It would make the most sense for Brown to call plays with Reich having input/final say. If Reich is letting him call half the plays during preseason, I don’t see him taking all of that away from Brown when the season starts. He will at minimum be heavily involved in the play calling IMO.

• Pie 1

Frank’s never been good at calling plays.  He has been complimented on play design.   That’s followed him everywhere. 

We got a bunch of old guys in Frank, Dom, Caldwell controlling and establishing this team and we just need to rolling with the young talent.  

Frank essentially robbing reps and time from Thomas he needs, for what Frank views as a safe start 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s hard to tell with only a fraction of the playbook being used. It would make the most sense for Brown to call plays with Reich having input/final say. If Reich is letting him call half the plays during preseason, I don’t see him taking all of that away from Brown when the season starts. He will at minimum be heavily involved in the play calling IMO.

Frank has been blunt he will be the playcaller to start the year.  He isn’t letting Thomas call the plays in 2nd half come week 1. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Frank has been blunt he will be the playcaller to start the year.  He isn’t letting Thomas call the plays in 2nd half come week 1. 

Ego problem maybe. His track record with play calling in Indy helped get him canned.

Edited by Jmac
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/frank-reich-to-call-offensive-plays-in-2023

Looks like he will start off as the play caller “leaning heavily on Brown” and pass it off to Brown when the time is right. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/frank-reich-to-call-offensive-plays-in-2023

Looks like he will start off as the play caller “leaning heavily on Brown” and pass it off to Brown when the time is right. 

Frank just doing standard coach talk IMO when he tries to show Brown some respect like it would happen at some point down the the road.  They couldn’t pry it from him in Indy with heat.  

Brown in that article 

Brown told reporters that the plan is for Reich to call all of the offensive plays this fall but he will be down on the sideline with him instead of up in the box. 

When I was researching Reich, I'd say that his play calling was probably what led to the most criticism of the then Colt's HC. Some of the writers and fans weren't really impressed.

Perhaps someone who follows the Eagles can discuss the seeming disconnect of Reich's play calling as the Eagles' OC versus Reich's play calling as the Colts' HC. Was Doug Pederson the better football mind there?

Anyway, I think that we'll really find what kind of coach we have based upon when he allows Thomas Brown do his job unfettered. I can't remember who said it in the game thread, but Brown's play calling actually looks like it's geared for today's modern NFL. That's a good take in my estimation.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Frank just doing standard coach talk IMO when he tries to show Brown some respect like it would happen at some point down the the road.  They couldn’t pry it from him in Indy with heat.  

Brown in that article 

Brown told reporters that the plan is for Reich to call all of the offensive plays this fall but he will be down on the sideline with him instead of up in the box. 

It sounds to me like he is grooming Brown to take over, which means he will be heavily involved in it. 

• Beer 1

I can already tell you what the problem I with the offense is going to be all season. It’s going to be Frank Reich wanting to get cute with fancy passing plays that aren’t appropriate for the personnel or called at poor times during games. That knock has followed Reich everywhere he’s been. 

With a rookie QB and a team returning 4 out of 5 starters on an OL that proved they can open up huge holes in the running game, they have to lean on the running game and use play action and RPOs. They honestly need to take the ball out of Bryce’s hands as much as possible.

I don’t care how much smoke the team blows up our asses about how far ahead with the playbook Bryce is, if the OL can kick ass in the running game, run the f*cking ball.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps someone who follows the Eagles can discuss the seeming disconnect of Reich's play calling as the Eagles' OC versus Reich's play calling as the Colts' HC. Was Doug Pederson the better football mind there?

image.thumb.jpeg.6e06acede8d8c6aed29db8a01a7e2f30.jpeg

Doug called the plays in Philly. Not Frank.  Frank called them in Indy and San Diego.  And got heat for being bad at it in both those spots.  Think Frank’s asset is in play design. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It doesn't matter who calls plays if the Oline can't block for anyone.

Saying that Thomas Brown definitely looks like a better play caller even in limited calls.

playcalls can impact blocking 

• Pie 1