• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calvin Johnson on the trading block?

panthersphan

Let me further amend: I don't think it would work if Steve Smith is one of those receivers. I don't see him reacting well if someone that's arguably better than he is is brought in here.

Also, most of the receiving tandems listed were before my time, but the more recent examples aren't great examples. Wes Welker is not an elite receiver. He's perfect for what he is, a slot receiver that picks up 8 yard gains. That's all he is. The ultimate possession receiver.

Boldin is certainly a great receiver, but I think he's a tad overrated. Also, let's not forget that he desperately wanted to be traded this offseason right after Fitzgerald went off with a historic playoff performance.

I will grant you Bruce and Holt though. Greatest Show on Turf...I really miss that.

If Jake remains our QB next year, what makes anyone think Johnson would ever get the ball? Jake's STILL going to lock in with laser like certainty on Smitty, guaranteeing that the defense has a step up in defending the play! No amount of world class receivers will do us any good if our QB can't or won't look off his receivers. Period! Jake is the one who guarantees that Smitty faces multiple coverages on most plays.

Let me further amend: I don't think it would work if Steve Smith is one of those receivers. I don't see him reacting well if someone that's arguably better than he is is brought in here.

I think Steve Smith wants to win above all else. However lets work under the Steve Smith diva premise...Calvin Johnson is better.... Taller, Elite speed, great hands....and much younger...it's true. Smitty is great and I would take him over any #1 in the league - Andre Johnson.

Steve Smith has roughly three years left in his prime. We need to look at future options for our #1 as well as # 2 and #3. When you scour our roster we have not developed anyone on the team to start and be here long term(Matt Moore, any reciever).

DeAngelo is just playing more as he was shackled by the Fox development program.

If Jake remains our QB next year, what makes anyone think Johnson would ever get the ball? Jake's STILL going to lock in with laser like certainty on Smitty, guaranteeing that the defense has a step up in defending the play! No amount of world class receivers will do us any good if our QB can't or won't look off his receivers. Period! Jake is the one who guarantees that Smitty faces multiple coverages on most plays.

Agreed. Focus needs to be on landing a franchise qb. All the chatter about Johnson or any other potential add-on at WR is a waste of time until the QB issue is settled.

Dang, he would really be nice to have.

If we got Calvin Johnson then the Panthers would probably resign Moose and keep him as our 3rd wide out which would leave us with an amazing receiving corp. Just imagine Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Moose, and Dwayne Jarrett. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

and still no one to throw the ball to them.

I'd hate to see what they want in return for him...

I'm pretty sure Peppers would block a trade to Detroit and I'd suspect they would want a 1st round pick to go with him, so that takes care of that.

We already have an elite WR, we just need to find a QB that can get the ball to him.

Also, most of the receiving tandems listed were before my time, but the more recent examples aren't great examples. Wes Welker is not an elite receiver. He's perfect for what he is, a slot receiver that picks up 8 yard gains. That's all he is. The ultimate possession receiver.

Boldin is certainly a great receiver, but I think he's a tad overrated. Also, let's not forget that he desperately wanted to be traded this offseason right after Fitzgerald went off with a historic playoff performance.

I will grant you Bruce and Holt though. Greatest Show on Turf...I really miss that.

Let's not forget why the patriots got Welker. When asked why he wanted him Bill said something along the lines of we play them twice a year and twice a year we can't cover him. He said they had to start double teaming him and he was still getting open but the QB would look off of him as soon as he saw double coverage. His theory was, if I can't stop him, why not put him on my team so I don't have to. I feel like if you can't be covered, and you year after year lead the league in receptions or atleast in the top 2-3 then you are in fact an elite WR.

The deal about Boldin wanting out of Arizona had nothing to do with the playoff numbers fitz was putting up. He wanted to leave because he felt like the team screwed him by promising him they would change his contract for the better and didn't. He got paid nowhere near what he deserved compared to other WR's in the league and he is FAR from overrated.

The question is why would Detroit want to give him away

They won't. If Detroit plays the drafts smart for the next couple years, they'll be legit with Stafford and Megatron. Stafford has the arm/accuracy that is PERFECT for deep ball, and Calvin is basically Brandon Marshall but much faster. They'll be a pretty crazy duo if they can build an o-line and a respectable defense.

We will have to agree to disagree on Welker and Boldin.

Archived