• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich's style of leadership

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

That’s one of the biggest reasons I couldn’t get on board with Rhule from the get go. You can’t bring a premade “brand” to a team. Yes you can bring your coaching style, your play style and all that. That comes with the territory. But a team(and by team I mean the current iteration of players, coaches, etc.) identity/brand has to be found by the team during its progression. 

Rivera understood that. It showed in how he ran the 2015 team.

Ron certainly had his flaws, but that wasn't one of them.

• Pie 3

More from Adam Thielen...

The 61-year-old former quarterback just talked to them, as someone who used to be one of them, and understood what was important to them. He also listened.

Novel concept, though not nearly as universal as you might expect in a profession that is increasingly defined by its turnover, and its youth.

"He expects us to be pros, but he also treats us like that," wide receiver Adam Thielen said. "And I just feel like sometimes coaches try to discipline first, and I think he really wants to trust us first. He wants to give us that trust, and then obviously, if he needs to, he'll have those conversations he needs to have. But I think just treating guys like men and like pros to start with.

"I think that's a unique trait he has, for sure. A lot of times, coaches or leaders, they kind of make people earn that trust. He really gives that trust to start, and then he really treats you with respect and honor and kind of lets you be who you are within the boundaries. And he really kind of empowers guys to be themselves within a certain parameter."

• Pie 3

And from JJ Jansen ...

When a new coach walks in the door, you expect to hear a certain amount of talk about being aggressive on defense, or making changes to an offensive scheme.

You don't necessarily expect to hear a lot of talk about empowerment, or respect, or especially giving credit to the guy he had just beaten out for the job. And listening, honestly, when he asks his new guys to not just blindly follow him, but to walk across this particular bridge with him.

That's something that strikes these players — these veterans who have worked for more than one NFL coach — as different about the guy who took over the Panthers this offseason, a guy tasked with ending a five-year drought without a playoff appearance (or a winning record), but also building something stable and long-lasting.

Frank Reich has the audacity to trust players. In return, they're trusting him back.

"I think the people who write self-help books call that emotional intelligence, a little EQ," long snapper JJ Jansen, the longest-serving player in franchise history, said. "There's a lot of that. I mean, his coaching staff has such an incredible blend of playing experience, coaching experience, college, NFL, different teams, there's such a blend. And I think the only way the blend works is when there's high-level amount of emotional intelligence; there's a high level of communication, and a bunch of guys without any egos trying to get to the right answers.

"And I think one of the things that really healthy organizations have, is when the leadership respects the people that they're leading, and vice versa. I think that helps a tremendous amount."

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

wide receiver Adam Thielen said. "And I just feel like sometimes coaches try to discipline first, and I think he really wants to trust us first. He wants to give us that trust,

This. This is the mark of a good coach. Trust always comes first. You can’t have discipline without trust. 

• Pie 2

Just now, ChibCU said:

I'm impressed so far, but also have tempered expectations. This roster needs work and it will take a couple of years imo.

Definitely.

I often go back to the quote from Herb Brooks in "Miracle" about not looking for the best players but looking for the right players. It's never just a matter of having good players. You have to have the ones that are suited to what the coaches want to do.

We spent the last few offseasons getting players that Matt Rhule and Phil Snow wanted. And while some of them may still fit in with the new staff, the number of former draft picks being let go makes it pretty clear that things have changed.

• Pie 4

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For contrast...

Granting that Wilson probably needs to take it down a notch, Payton is definitely a "my way or the highway" coach. And well that can work, sometimes it's not the best way to lead grown men.

I agree. But Russell’s head is so far up his own ass, in this situation that comment was warranted. It’s even more interesting Russell wanted Payton as a coach to further his brand and Payton was said(at least publicly) “nope! I’m here to coach football.” Denver is going to be a very interesting plot line this year. 

37 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Anyone that doesn't embrace keep pounding doesn't need to be coaching here.  It's like the only thing we got.  Rhule is a fuging moron.

I mean it is the quintessential football term wrapped up in a dying man’s unfettered love & spirit. If that isn’t football I don’t know what is.  

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

From what I've read, Reich's style is not only about the polar opposite from The Process, but also from one Josh McDaniels.

Rhule could never earn the level of respect Reich has because he never played on an NFL field and had no real experience as an NFL coach.  Now add that he is a BS artist, and guys like that can't really listen.  Even when they try, they wind up trying to contort what they heard into something they already know.  That tells the person on the other end that they didn't listen, at all. 

McDaniels is a different animal yet.  He admitted not long ago that a major part of his problem in Denver was he did not deal well with personalities.  From the looks of things in Vegas, he correctly diagnosed a problem but did not do much to solve it.

We'll see how all this translates on the field.  But leading a bunch of highly-paid professionals is tough.  Reich can genuinely relate since he was one of them.  You can't fake that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

‘The way of the Panther’.  ……

Ugh 😖

19 minutes ago, ickmule said:

It’s all fluff until they prove it. All the speak is nice to see, but the effort better be there. 

Not entirely.

Players talking about trust matters, especially given what they used to have to deal with.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1