• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Does Everyone Keep Calling This a Total Rebuild?

tukafan21

9 hours ago, hepcat said:

I agree for the most part because Steve Wilks went 6-6 with Matt Rhule’s roster and was honestly a miracle worker with what he had on the field. You’d think this highly paid “all star” coaching staff could do better than lowly old Steve Wilks. If they don’t have a better record than 7-10 then it was a mistake to not hire Wilks IMO. 

Wilks’ team would’ve been ready to run the ball all day which they had success doing yesterday. But they wanted the ball in Bryce’s hands instead. They don’t have the guys outside to air it out like that. This needs to be a run heavy scheme for the foreseeable future but I doubt we get that. 

5 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Wilks’ team would’ve been ready to run the ball all day which they had success doing yesterday. But they wanted the ball in Bryce’s hands instead. They don’t have the guys outside to air it out like that. This needs to be a run heavy scheme for the foreseeable future but I doubt we get that. 

what? 

Our run to pass splits prior to going down by two scores was 28:20... we were 60/40 run heavy offense until the game became pass only...

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

what? 

Our run to pass splits prior to going down by two scores was 28:20... we were 60/40 run heavy offense until the game became pass only...

38 pass

29 run 

Bryce scrambled 3 times. 

It was 17-10 with an entire quarter left. There were a couple of scenarios during the game I wish they would’ve stuck to the run game. Deep in their own territory when the first INT occurred and also at the end of the first half where they went 3 and out after 3 incompletions. Yeh it’s hindsight but I even said out loud they need to feed the backfield when he threw the first one. 

8 hours ago, NAS said:

Well when some of us wanted us to tank last year when Rhule was fired, many crucified us but it would have allowed us to have a potential franchise QB without trading away future picks or assets like DJ Moore

How are you going to tank in the first place? Coaches coaching for their jobs or auditioning for future teams for jobs and players doing the same thing for the next season. Who in their right mind was going to just all agree to lose on purpose? Try telling Foreman last year "I know you rode the bench a good portion of the season but now we want you to not run for that first down or fumble on purpose etc..". He was running for his Bears contract as all other players were fighting for their next team's job or contract.

13 minutes ago, Rubi said:

38 pass

29 run 

Bryce scrambled 3 times. 

It was 17-10 with an entire quarter left. There were a couple of scenarios during the game I wish they would’ve stuck to the run game. Deep in their own territory when the first INT occurred and also at the end of the first half where they went 3 and out after 3 incompletions. Yeh it’s hindsight but I even said out loud they need to feed the backfield when he threw the first one. 

at those points in the game we were still 60/40 run heavy... the passing didnt come until were down 2 scores. Sure use the 2min drill as the 3 passes in a row.. but even after that we were a run first offense. Reich & Brown's offense are run heavy by design.

15 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

at those points in the game we were still 60/40 run heavy... the passing didnt come until were down 2 scores. Sure use the 2min drill as the 3 passes in a row.. but even after that we were a run first offense. Reich & Brown's offense are run heavy by design.

I guess the 50/50 play splits on the tv they showed during the game weren’t real. it ultimately doesn’t matter because the offense was bad regardless. The numbers are the numbers. 

People need to define what “total rebuild” means to them. 

I bet that means a different thing to everyone. Is it a certain percentage of roster turnover? If so, that varies from person to person. 

Is it turnover at important positions?

Is it trading all the star players?

Is it old players retiring?

“Rebuild” to me is when a cluster of top vets/leaders retire/are traded/are released, and you have to develop the next leaders. 

So “rebuild” to me happened when Cam/Luke/Olsen/Kalil/Davis/CJ/Stewart, etc. were not on the roster anymore. 

Sometimes rebuilds don’t work,  and we will know this for sure if Bryce isn’t the answer within two years. Your rebuild has to coincide with establishing your starting quarterback, and the timeline of other key players needs to align with that QB. 

25 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

People need to define what “total rebuild” means to them. 

I bet that means a different thing to everyone. Is it a certain percentage of roster turnover? If so, that varies from person to person. 

Is it turnover at important positions?

Is it trading all the star players?

Is it old players retiring?

“Rebuild” to me is when a cluster of top vets/leaders retire/are traded/are released, and you have to develop the next leaders. 

So “rebuild” to me happened when Cam/Luke/Olsen/Kalil/Davis/CJ/Stewart, etc. were not on the roster anymore. 

Sometimes rebuilds don’t work,  and we will know this for sure if Bryce isn’t the answer within two years. Your rebuild has to coincide with establishing your starting quarterback, and the timeline of other key players needs to align with that QB. 

Agreeing on the terms is always a source of contention.

I don't think we are n a "total rebuild."  Total meaning the overall roster.

I think we are in a near-total rebuild on offense.  The OL is the exception.  But basically all the skill positions have or are turning over. 

But teams don't rebuild for the sake of rebuilding.  If they have young talent on the roster that fits what the brain trust wants to do, they take advantage of that.  I think that is what happened on defense. 

But on offense, our proven talent in the skill positions from 12 months ago is not here.