• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young needs to ride the bench this season. Let him learn behind Dalton before it's too late.

jasonluckydog

59 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

Vick, Rodgers, Love etc all sat before they started. This is not my original idea this was brought up on other NFL boards by non panther fans  and there was a consensus that he needs to sit before he is ruined. I agree. He is not ready. 

You are either good or you aren't.  I've never bought into the idea that a QB can be "ruined". I mean sure maybe if your OL is that bad and you are letting him get destroyed every play, but the line was great yesterday.  Other than that, poor performance isn't going to ruin a QB.  The cream rises to the top almost always.

If Trevor Lawrence can survive Urban Meyer and that 1st year in Jacksonville, then Bryce Young (or whomever) will survive this season.  Although yes Lawrence was/is a better QB prospect than Young but hell even Jared Goff has proven to be a solid QB after a horrible 1st year in LA.  It will be fine.  There is no reason for him to not play.

Edited by Mage

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Red Rifle is shot and we've mortgaged the future of the franchise on a physically limited but supposedly super NFL ready QB.

I just don't see any benefit to letting him "sit and learn". Learn what? The biggest thing he has to do is adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL game in real time on the field. Gotta play to do that. You aren't learning that on the sideline.

Mortgage the future??

1 hour ago, jasonluckydog said:

Vick, Rodgers, Love etc all sat before they started. This is not my original idea this was brought up on other NFL boards by non panther fans  and there was a consensus that he needs to sit before he is ruined. I agree. He is not ready. 

Those teams had championship aspirations and QB on the roster who could get them to there.. We don’t..

You’re pretty much saying we should have sat Cam and started Clausen.. lmao!!

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

If, big IF, that was the way to go, we should have done it game one and then eased Bryce in after a few games.  At this point, there's no going back.

Why??

The game yesterday was winnable even with 3 TO and bad bounces going the Falcons way… 
This offense needs reps .. The Whole preseason of not playing starters was a mistake.. They needed to play and build some chemistry…

• Pie 1

Plain and simple this offense needs reps .. They looked off timed and out of rhythm.. WR not making the right cuts wrong routes and not lining up correctly.. QB throwing to spots he expects ppl to be at .. Under or overthrown balls.. They need reps to build consistency.. Most fans should have known this wasn’t going to work day 1..

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

And what do you think is going to happen to Young? He's going to be psychologically damaged to the point where he is useless for the rest of his career? Or are you afraid he's going to be injured and permanently ruined that way?

Please everyone stop saying something like this "we won 7 games last season, so now with Young we should win more games." Stop. Starting a rookie QB is a messy affair. You're looking at rookie QB mistakes like interceptions missed open targets. That alone will decide most games, and Young is going to make those kind of mistakes a lot as a rookie.

We might win a few more games with Dalton's noodle arm and more experience, but are we really going anywhere that will lead to a trophy with grandpa Dalton? No. We're taking our medicine with Young now, and I have no objections. I agree. Now why we didn't trade Burns during this learning phase for Young comes down to GM error. Better to have 2 firsts and a second for the future once Young is up to speed, or Young flops we have the juice to replace him easily in the draft. Now is not the time for expensive defensive veterans. Makes no sense. This is the learning phase, so keep the defense young, and then they mature with Young. But at any rate, everyone's job is now tied to Young. If he doesn't develop, then everyone is getting fired. 

I agree with most of the take except about dealing Burns and being better off by having the picks later on that would be used to find the next Burns. The number one advantage with a QB on his rookie deal is that you have him with the least amount of cap space he will ever take up if he ends up being your franchise guy. So why not surround him with proven players who you can afford to pay now while he is on the cheap contract, instead of crossing your fingers that those future picks are hits AND develop quickly enough to compete before you have to shell out a top of the market contract to your franchise QB?

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, that's what that trade up did.

How..

What is the FA money next 2 years??

Then how many drafts are we without a 1st round pick???

Answer 

Near 200, 000 in cap space the next 2 years..

2024 is the only year without a 1st round pick..

And this is all with a rookie QB pay scale for the next 5 years.. 

Just now, recceice said:

How..

What is the FA money next 2 years??

Then how many drafts are we without a 1st round pick???

Answer 

Near 200, 000 in cap space the next 2 years..

2024 is the only year without a 1st round pick..

And this is all with a rookie QB pay scale for the next 5 years.. 

It all works if Bryce is the answer. But he has to be the answer. Hence the mortgaged future.